From: verec
Subject: open project in need of spare brain cells?
I am at this stage now where I don't feel like a complete CL
newbie but still find full-blown projects of my own too daunting
to start from scratch without any outside help. My next best bet
seems to me to be to contribute to some existing "open source"
project in the need of some help.

I have contemplated contibuting to either SBCL or OpenMCL but
there's a very steep learning curve, and I'd rather start with
something I know I can be effective at, rather than deluding
myself in possessing grandiose skills that reality would prove
are nowhere to be seen.

I had obviously a look on Cliki, but nothing jumped at me as
either very active or in the need of more "man power".

For the record, I pay my bills with Java (! don't mention this
please!) and I have been comfortable with either of C/C++/Pascal/
Objective C/Lingo/ASM 68K/ASM PPC/ASM x86 for the past 20+ years,
but I really need to move to the next "higher level" of abstraction
hence my long ``lurking'' interest in CL.

I've gone through PCL, On Lisp (still a bit confused by macro
defining macros, though :( CLTL2, SICP, Winston & Horn, PAIP ...

Any suggestion?
--
JFB

From: Mariano Montone
Subject: Re: open project in need of spare brain cells?
I'm in the same situation and decided to try a small web application.
I'm using UncommonWeb for the frontend and Elephant as a backend.
There are lots of things to learn from these two projects as the use
of anaphoric macros, macros that introduce new bindings, web server
continuations, object oriented persistence, CLOS, etc. So I'm glad
with what I've chosen to do that so far.

Another very interesting project to try is Cells. I'm looking forward
to making a small desktop application using Cells-gtk. You can learn
about dataflow-oriented programming here and get amazed by seeing lisp
embrace so many different paradigms so smoothly.

Cheers,
       Mariano

From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·······················@news.aaisp.net.uk>,
 verec <·····@mac.com> wrote:

> I am at this stage now where I don't feel like a complete CL
> newbie but still find full-blown projects of my own too daunting
> to start from scratch without any outside help. My next best bet
> seems to me to be to contribute to some existing "open source"
> project in the need of some help.
>
> I have contemplated contibuting to either SBCL or OpenMCL but
> there's a very steep learning curve, and I'd rather start with
> something I know I can be effective at, rather than deluding
> myself in possessing grandiose skills that reality would prove
> are nowhere to be seen.

OpenMCL has a few areas where you don't need to hack on the
internals of the implementation.

OpenMCL comes with a development environment running under
Mac OS X, Cocoa. That development environment would need
some more tools and the existing could look better.
I guess the use of OpenMCL's Cocoa-capabilities will
get some more users when Mac OS X 10.5 is out. Then
OpenMCL will be able to use Cocoa (and related libraries)
on Intel Macs.

Having more Cocoa examples for OpenMCL would also be
fun. Start with small tools like a Calculator,
a simple game (Othello, ...), an image viewer,
and so on.

Write a source coloring mode for OpenMCL's Hemlock editor.
Extra points when it works with CMUCL's Hemlock.

Alternatively write some examples or some simple
development tools for McCLIM. You could
also hack up the McCLIM listener with more commands
with nice looking output.

From: Pascal Costanza
verec wrote:
> I am at this stage now where I don't feel like a complete CL
> newbie but still find full-blown projects of my own too daunting
> to start from scratch without any outside help. My next best bet
> seems to me to be to contribute to some existing "open source"
> project in the need of some help.

It would be starting from scratch, but maybe not too much: Implement
something like HOP, but for Common Lisp, not for Scheme.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Robert Strandh
verec <·····@mac.com> writes:

> My next best bet
> seems to me to be to contribute to some existing "open source"
> project in the need of some help.
>
> Any suggestion?

I recently compiled a site with suggested projects:

  http://dept-info.labri.fr/~strandh/Lisp-projects

You can email me if you want more information.

--
Robert Strandh

Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: any sufficiently complicated C
From: Ken Tilton
Robert Strandh wrote:
> verec <·····@mac.com> writes:
>

>>My next best bet
>>seems to me to be to contribute to some existing "open source"
>>project in the need of some help.
>>
>>Any suggestion?
>

> I recently compiled a site with suggested projects:
>
>   http://dept-info.labri.fr/~strandh/Lisp-projects
>
> You can email me if you want more information.

   http://dept-info.labri.fr/~strandh/Lisp-projects/clouseau.html

Great name for an Inspector!

   http://www.tilton-technology.com/cloucell.jpg

I like inspecting the data structures used to represent the inspector
view widget I am looking at and watching the value for the mouse
position change as I, well, change the mouse position grace a Cells.

kenny

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"We are what we pretend to be." -Kurt Vonnegut
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·············@newsfe12.lga>,
 Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:

> Robert Strandh wrote:
> > verec <·····@mac.com> writes:
> >

> >>My next best bet
> >>seems to me to be to contribute to some existing "open source"
> >>project in the need of some help.
> >>
> >>Any suggestion?
> >

> > I recently compiled a site with suggested projects:
> >
> >   http://dept-info.labri.fr/~strandh/Lisp-projects
> >
> > You can email me if you want more information.
> >

>    http://dept-info.labri.fr/~strandh/Lisp-projects/clouseau.html
>
> Great name for an Inspector!
>
>    http://www.tilton-technology.com/cloucell.jpg
>
> I like inspecting the data structures used to represent the inspector
> view widget I am looking at and watching the value for the mouse
> position change as I, well, change the mouse position grace a Cells.

500 years from now, after some nuclear blasts on New York City,
aliens will find a Windows PC deep under the surface.
They will determine that it needs something called
electricity. They will power up the Windows PC
and it boots and then shows cloucell .

Now what will the aliens do?

[ ] ROTFL
[ ] explode immediately
[ ] strike another nuclear blast on New York City
[ ] try to the fire14 checkbox

What do you think?

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Ken Tilton
Rainer Joswig wrote:
> In article <·············@newsfe12.lga>,
>  Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>Robert Strandh wrote:

>>>I recently compiled a site with suggested projects:
>>>
>>>  http://dept-info.labri.fr/~strandh/Lisp-projects
>>>
>>>You can email me if you want more information.
>>>

>>   http://dept-info.labri.fr/~strandh/Lisp-projects/clouseau.html
>>
>>Great name for an Inspector!
>>
>>   http://www.tilton-technology.com/cloucell.jpg
>>
>>I like inspecting the data structures used to represent the inspector
>>view widget I am looking at and watching the value for the mouse
>>position change as I, well, change the mouse position grace a Cells.
>

> 500 years from now, after some nuclear blasts on New York City,
> aliens will find a Windows PC deep under the surface.
> They will determine that it needs something called
> electricity. They will power up the Windows PC
> and it boots and then shows cloucell .
>
> Now what will the aliens do?
>
> [ ] ROTFL
> [ ] explode immediately
> [ ] strike another nuclear blast on New York City
> [ ] try to the fire14 checkbox
>
> What do you think?

I think if writing on marble was good enough for the Romans it is good
enough for Kenny.

But, yes, fire14 is striking:

    http://www.tilton-technology.com/cello-shot-03.jpg

Does not look so good there. I see it's only a 24kb JPEG, but I remember
it looking better. Maybe it is being stretched too much to fill a whole
window.

kt

From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Oct 1, 12:19 am, verec <·····@mac.com> wrote:
> I am at this stage now where I don't feel like a complete CL
> newbie but still find full-blown projects of my own too daunting
> to start from scratch without any outside help. My next best bet
> seems to me to be to contribute to some existing "open source"
> project in the need of some help.
>
> I have contemplated contibuting to either SBCL or OpenMCL but
> there's a very steep learning curve, and I'd rather start with
> something I know I can be effective at, rather than deluding
> myself in possessing grandiose skills that reality would prove
> are nowhere to be seen.
>
> I had obviously a look on Cliki, but nothing jumped at me as
> either very active or in the need of more "man power".
>
> For the record, I pay my bills with Java (! don't mention this
> please!) and I have been comfortable with either of C/C++/Pascal/
> Objective C/Lingo/ASM 68K/ASM PPC/ASM x86 for the past 20+ years,
> but I really need to move to the next "higher level" of abstraction
> hence my long ``lurking'' interest in CL.
>
> I've gone through PCL, On Lisp (still a bit confused by macro
> defining macros, though :( CLTL2, SICP, Winston & Horn, PAIP ...
>
> Any suggestion?
> --
> JFB

If you're interested in web development you might  look at weblocks
http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-weblocks/
there's some low hanging fruits at it's tickets.