From: ·········@gmail.com
Subject: Lisp internet Help
Trying to learn CLisp through the text books online, I have my eyes
hurt. Why can not the Explorer or FireFox just be set to display the
text-pages more like what we see in emacs? So i just want to program
some codes to display the simplest web pages like text-pages on the
internet and measure the great power of lisp. However, I don't know
how lisp interact with the web server and is there any package can be
used ? Also, i believe i can never write a GUI program out, so are
there alternative ways to represent the pages? I need Your help...Any
word will be appreciated!

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: Lisp internet Help
··········@gmail.com" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Trying to learn CLisp through the text books online,

Common Lisp (sometimes called CL) is a language.

CLISP is a specific implementation of the language Common Lisp.

Common Lisp has a number of implementations.

Be careful to be clear which you mean.
From: ·········@gmail.com
On 9 15 ,   12 08 , Kent M Pitman <······@nhplace.com> wrote:
> ··········@gmail.com" <·········@gmail.com> writes:
> > Trying to learn CLisp through the text books online,
>
> Common Lisp (sometimes called CL) is a language.
>
> CLISP is a specific implementation of the language Common Lisp.
>
> Common Lisp has a number of implementations.
>
> Be careful to be clear which you mean.

en...I use GNU CLISP.

>If you have cygin installed then you shoud also have lynx.
>Why don't you just use that?

it seems that my cygwin does not contain lynx but w3m can be
used on my cygwin...in fact, i use IE in most time, but i fell
some different Web renders may be more useful like XUL or Flex.
So i wander to know more about HTML render and want have a try
in lisp.
From: Timofei Shatrov
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 05:11:22 -0700, ··········@gmail.com" <·········@gmail.com>
tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>Trying to learn CLisp through the text books online, I have my eyes
>hurt. Why can not the Explorer or FireFox just be set to display the
>text-pages more like what we see in emacs?

You can try to install emacs-w3m, which is a browser for Emacs. It's a
non-trivial task if you use Windows, but I did it several days ago. You'll
need to install Cygwin (http://cygwin.com/) and w3m package within it. Then
you need to configure Emacs and emacs-w3m so that it works. The browser is
quite nifty, it can even show images.

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless              ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... |  ue     il   |
|But we can take them on!                               |     @ma      |
|                       (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip)    |______________|
From: ·········@gmail.com
On 9 14 ,   8 39 , ····@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 05:11:22 -0700, ··········@gmail.com" <·········@gmail.com>
> tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>
> >Trying to learn CLisp through the text books online, I have my eyes
> >hurt. Why can not the Explorer or FireFox just be set to display the
> >text-pages more like what we see in emacs?
>
> You can try to install emacs-w3m, which is a browser for Emacs. It's a
> non-trivial task if you use Windows, but I did it several days ago. You'll
> need to install Cygwin (http://cygwin.com/) and w3m package within it. Then
> you need to configure Emacs and emacs-w3m so that it works. The browser is
> quite nifty, it can even show images.
>
> --
> |Don't believe this - you're not worthless              ,gr---------.ru
> |It's us against millions and we can't take them all... |  ue     il   |
> |But we can take them on!                               |     @ma      |
> |                       (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip)    |______________|

Thanks a lot!
I use cygwin + emacs + slime now and also google the emacs-w3m
and install w3m package. It seems that i can not confige it well until
now.
Could you tell me how to install it in windows?

And i really want to write a light version of w3m of my own...
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello ··········@gmail.com)
(you :wrote  :on '(Fri, 14 Sep 2007 05:11:22 -0700))
(

 d> internet and measure the great power of lisp. However, I don't know
 d> how lisp interact with the web server and is there any package can be
 d> used ?

you need a HTTP client.
for example:
http://weitz.de/drakma/
http://homepage.mac.com/svc/s-http-client/

you'd also need to parse HTML code. e.g. http://www.cliki.net/pxmlutils

in general, cliki.net and cl-user.net is your friend. select apropriate
section and read.

 d>  Also, i believe i can never write a GUI program out, so are there
 d> alternative ways to represent the pages?

as text, for example. some browsers like lynx and links do this.

by the way, there's also graphical web browser in Common Lisp effort --

http://common-lisp.net/project/closure/

)
"i've killed myself i've been born again")
From: John Thingstad
P� Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:11:22 +0200, skrev ·········@gmail.com