From: Ken Tilton
Subject: [OT] It's either that or kenny-stemmer....
(porter-stemmer "securing")
-> "secur"

Ewwww. I want "secure".

Time for kenny-stemmer, or does someone know of a sensible normalizer of
word variants?

kt

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"We are what we pretend to be." -Kurt Vonnegut

From: Harold Lee
Subject: Re: It's either that or kenny-stemmer....
On Sep 11, 9:41 am, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
> (porter-stemmer "securing")
> -> "secur"
>
> Ewwww. I want "secure".
>
> Time for kenny-stemmer, or does someone know of a sensible normalizer of
> word variants?
>
> kt
>
> --http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>
> "We are what we pretend to be." -Kurt Vonnegut

(assert (equal (porter-stemmer "securing") (porter-stemmer "secure")))

Stems aren't meant to be real words...
From: Ken Tilton
Harold Lee wrote:
> On Sep 11, 9:41 am, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>(porter-stemmer "securing")
>>-> "secur"
>>
>>Ewwww. I want "secure".
>>
>>Time for kenny-stemmer, or does someone know of a sensible normalizer of
>>word variants?
>>
>>kt
>>
>>--http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>>
>>"We are what we pretend to be." -Kurt Vonnegut
>

> (assert (equal (porter-stemmer "securing") (porter-stemmer "secure")))
>
> Stems aren't meant to be real words...

Sorry, I was too terse, and I guess your AI was not able to get past
that. Forunately Jon's engine chewed right through it.

:)

kt
From: jayessay
Subject: Re: [OT] It's either that or kenny-stemmer....
Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> writes:

> (porter-stemmer "securing")
> -> "secur"
>
> Ewwww. I want "secure".
>
> Time for kenny-stemmer, or does someone know of a sensible normalizer
> of word variants?

You are looking for morphological analysis of NL.  Google for this and
you will get many many hits (including those with a Lisp connection).
I had a good version of one of these (a two level version based on
KIMMO, I think...), but it's on (I hope) another machine that I'm not
running at the moment.

/Jon

--
'j' - a n t h o n y at romeo/charley/november com
From: Christian Lynbech

jayessay> You are looking for morphological analysis of NL.  Google for this and
jayessay> you will get many many hits (including those with a Lisp connection).
jayessay> I had a good version of one of these (a two level version based on
jayessay> KIMMO, I think...), but it's on (I hope) another machine that I'm not
jayessay> running at the moment.

I have a really elegant implementation of this, unfortunately my
signature is too narrow to hold it.

;-)

Christian Lynbech       | christian ··@ defun #\. dk
                                        - ·······@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)
From: jayessay
Christian Lynbech <·········@defun.dk> writes:

> jayessay> You are looking for morphological analysis of NL.  Google for this and
> jayessay> you will get many many hits (including those with a Lisp connection).
> jayessay> I had a good version of one of these (a two level version based on
> jayessay> KIMMO, I think...), but it's on (I hope) another machine that I'm not
> jayessay> running at the moment.
>
> I have a really elegant implementation of this, unfortunately my
> signature is too narrow to hold it.
>
> ;-)

Yeah, maybe the kooks in sci.math will even start offering "proven" 10
line versions of it...

/Jon

--
'j' - a n t h o n y at romeo/charley/november com