From: Drew Crampsie
Subject: Xen 3.x and SBCL (or other lisps)?
Hello all,

 As many of you surely know, we (The Tech Co-op) host quite a few lisp
 related web sites and application on our Xen VPS service. We've been
 using Xen 2 in 32-bit mode exclusively, even though Xen 3 has been out
 for quite a while, as we had troubles with SBCL crashing Xen 3 on our
 configuration (you may remember common-lisp.net having a week of daily
 oopses).

 I've heard reports of similar problems with other VPS hosts (if fact a
 number of our current members came to us this way), but recent Xen
 releases seem to have solved the problem (on my test machine anyways),
 an i'd very much like to upgrade.

 So, comp.lang.lisp, have any of you had recent experience with Xen 3 and
 SBCL that you'd like to share? Specifically 64bit on the AMD
 platform? Reports on other lisps would be nice to hear about as well.
 Also, any experiences with some of the other virtualization packages
 (openvz etc)?

 And, while i've got you here, is there anything you'd like in a lisp
 related hosting organization that is either not currently provided by
 anyone, or could be made better by us?

 Cheers,

 drewc

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 02:13:33 +0000, Drew Crampsie wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>  As many of you surely know, we (The Tech Co-op) host quite a few lisp
>  related web sites and application on our Xen VPS service. We've been
>  using Xen 2 in 32-bit mode exclusively, even though Xen 3 has been out
>  for quite a while, as we had troubles with SBCL crashing Xen 3 on our
>  configuration (you may remember common-lisp.net having a week of daily
>  oopses).
>
>  I've heard reports of similar problems with other VPS hosts (if fact a
>  number of our current members came to us this way), but recent Xen
>  releases seem to have solved the problem (on my test machine anyways),
>  an i'd very much like to upgrade.
>
>  So, comp.lang.lisp, have any of you had recent experience with Xen 3 and
>  SBCL that you'd like to share? Specifically 64bit on the AMD
>  platform?

Strange timing 8-O

I had major problems frying up my customers Xen instances by trying to
compile SBCL lately. But wile investigating the problems I realized that
our main SBCL webserver was running on a Xen instance as well - for
several month without any problem. The only difference: the crashing Xen
servers all run Xen 3.0.n whith n < 2 ...
So it seems that a Xen update is all thats needed (unfortunately hard to
do on some of our boxes ...).

HTH Ralf Mattes