From: David Trudgett
Subject: Example use of cl-magick
I have been unsuccessfully looking around for some example code
(preferrably "real") showing use of the cl-magick interface
(http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-magick/) to ImageMagick.

Anyone know where I can find such code?

Thanks,
David Trudgett

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: Example use of cl-magick
David Trudgett wrote:
> I have been unsuccessfully looking around for some example code
> (preferrably "real") showing use of the cl-magick interface
> (http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-magick/) to ImageMagick.
>
> Anyone know where I can find such code?

No:

    http://www.tilton-technology.com/cello-shot-02.jpg
From: Ken Tilton
Ken Tilton wrote:

> David Trudgett wrote:
>
>> I have been unsuccessfully looking around for some example code
>> (preferrably "real") showing use of the cl-magick interface
>> (http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-magick/) to ImageMagick.
>>
>> Anyone know where I can find such code?
>

> No:
>
>    http://www.tilton-technology.com/cello-shot-02.jpg

It occurs to me I have no idea about what are you talking.

IM can simply xlate format to format, or simply apply all sorts of
groovy transformations to a graphics file. I went off the tracks and was
thinking about /displaying/ a graphic from Lisp, and have no reason for
thinking that that is to what you are up. Might need some specificity
from you on this.

kxo
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·····················@newsfe12.lga>,
 Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:

> Ken Tilton wrote:
> >

> > David Trudgett wrote:
> >
> >> I have been unsuccessfully looking around for some example code
> >> (preferrably "real") showing use of the cl-magick interface
> >> (http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-magick/) to ImageMagick.
> >>
> >> Anyone know where I can find such code?
> >

> > No:
> >
> >    http://www.tilton-technology.com/cello-shot-02.jpg
>
> It occurs to me I have no idea about what are you talking.

http://markandkarenray.blogspot.com/2007/09/toothless-kenny.html
Is that you? Toothless Kenny with a Lisp?

;-)

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Ken Tilton
Rainer Joswig wrote:
> In article <·····················@newsfe12.lga>,
>  Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>Ken Tilton wrote:

>>>No:
>>>
>>>   http://www.tilton-technology.com/cello-shot-02.jpg
>>
>>It occurs to me I have no idea about what are you talking.
>

> http://markandkarenray.blogspot.com/2007/09/toothless-kenny.html
> Is that you? Toothless Kenny with a Lisp?

Could be. "silly faces and crazy dances" sounds right, but "documented"?
No way.

kt

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"We are what we pretend to be." -Kurt Vonnegut
From: David Trudgett
Gidday, Kenny,

Thanks for your reply.

Ken Tilton wrote:
>> David Trudgett wrote:
>>
>>> I have been unsuccessfully looking around for some example code
>>> (preferrably "real") showing use of the cl-magick interface
>>> (http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-magick/) to ImageMagick.
>>>
>>> Anyone know where I can find such code?
>>

>> No:
>>
>>    http://www.tilton-technology.com/cello-shot-02.jpg

I can see from looking through your screenshots that you have good taste
in actresses, but what I seem to have neglected to mention explicitly is
that I am looking for actual source code samples from which I am hoping
to glean guidance in my mystical quest to master the magick of images
using, of course, ImageMagick, and the cl-magick interface in particular.

Since such source code examples of how to use Dave Watson's cl-magick
appear to be few and far between, I'm not going to be too fussy about
specifiying exactly what I'd like the code samples to be demonstrating!

Is your cl-magick stuff (which has nothing to do with Dave Watson's, I
assume) anything like Dave Watson's? (Besides being infinitely superior,
although ever so slightly incomplete, of course... ;-))

I'm afraid time is a running out for me, though, and PerlMagick is
looking better by the day!

> It occurs to me I have no idea about what are you talking.
>
> IM can simply xlate format to format, or simply apply all sorts of
> groovy transformations to a graphics file.

Or it could create new images from scratch, composite these with other
existing images, resized, strip unwanted layers from multiple image
TIFFs, adjust the histogram, modulate the brightness, colour saturation
and hue, draw text and various graphic elements over the result, oh, and
did I mention doing all of this to input images of 800 MB to over 1000 MB?

> I went off the tracks and was
> thinking about /displaying/ a graphic from Lisp, and have no reason for
> thinking that that is to what you are up. Might need some specificity
> from you on this.

See above.

Besides sample code, it's simple: I just want everything! ;-) PerlMagick
in Common Lisp would be cool, but it looks like I would have to do it
myself. While this would be a widely useful thing to many of us, and a
laudable and fun learning exercise, I don't have the time right now!

David
From: Ken Tilton
David Trudgett wrote:
> Gidday, Kenny,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Ken Tilton wrote:

>>> No:
>>>
>>>    http://www.tilton-technology.com/cello-shot-02.jpg
>

> I can see from looking through your screenshots that you have good taste
> in actresses, but what I seem to have neglected to mention explicitly is
> that I am looking for actual source code samples from which I am hoping
> to glean guidance in my mystical quest to master the magick of images
> using, of course, ImageMagick, and the cl-magick interface in particular.

Left as a horrific exercise was finding the Cello demo source that
generated those screenshots.

> Since such source code examples of how to use Dave Watson's cl-magick
> appear to be few and far between, I'm not going to be too fussy about
> specifiying exactly what I'd like the code samples to be demonstrating!

Then you either want help with Lisp FFIs in general or IM itself. Re the
former, from what you emphasize elsewhere, you have not the time to
master Lisp FFI. Re the latter, I did little more than read and write
images using IM, maybe a rotate or flop in there, so my stuff will not
be much help.

> Is your cl-magick stuff (which has nothing to do with Dave Watson's, I
> assume) anything like Dave Watson's? (Besides being infinitely superior,
> although ever so slightly incomplete, of course... ;-))

I am just a simple application programmer. My cl-magick does what I
need, end of story.

> I'm afraid time is a running out for me, though, and PerlMagick is
> looking better by the day!

Jeez, use PerlMagick, you have a deadline man! You can do a
trudgett-magick contrib when your schedule clears.

>> It occurs to me I have no idea about what are you talking.
>>
>> IM can simply xlate format to format, or simply apply all sorts of
>> groovy transformations to a graphics file.
>

> Or it could create new images from scratch, composite these with other
> existing images, resized, strip unwanted layers from multiple image
> TIFFs, adjust the histogram, modulate the brightness, colour saturation
> and hue, draw text and various graphic elements over the result, oh, and
> did I mention doing all of this to input images of 800 MB to over 1000 MB?

Nice package, eh?

>> I went off the tracks and was thinking about /displaying/ a graphic
>> from Lisp, and have no reason for thinking that that is to what you
>> are up. Might need some specificity from you on this.
>

> See above.
>
> Besides sample code, it's simple: I just want everything! ;-) PerlMagick
> in Common Lisp would be cool, but it looks like I would have to do it
> myself.

Tell you what, call it cl-magick so there will be three. Yours will be
the one with documentation and demo code for all the IM features.

> While this would be a widely useful thing to many of us, and a
> laudable and fun learning exercise, I don't have the time right now!

Good luck with the deadline.

kt