From: Javier
Subject: Help with asdf
I've been wasting some hours trying to figure out how to use asdf to
install a package which is not instalable with asdf-install.
I'm refering to this package:

http://common-lisp.net/project/bdb/

I use SBCL 1.0 on Ubuntu 7.04. I've been using asdf-install until now
for all my needs, but I'm totally lost with respect to ASDF. I think I
don't even understand what is all about.

Can you help me, please?

From: Robert Uhl
Subject: Re: Help with asdf
Javier <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been wasting some hours trying to figure out how to use asdf to
> install a package which is not instalable with asdf-install.
> I'm refering to this package:
>
> http://common-lisp.net/project/bdb/
>
> I use SBCL 1.0 on Ubuntu 7.04. I've been using asdf-install until now
> for all my needs, but I'm totally lost with respect to ASDF. I think I
> don't even understand what is all about.

ASDF is a tool which loads packages by finding their system definitions;
ASDF-INSTALL is a tool which builds on top of ASDF to download packages.

What you need to do is untar the bdb tarball into ~/.sbcl/site and then
ln -s ~/.sbcl/site/bdb*/*asd ~/.sbcl/.systems.

What this does is put the system definitions where ASDF can find 'em (in
~/.sbcl/systems) and the lisp code itself where ASDF can load it
(~/.sbcl/site).

If you want to install it system-wide, drop the package in
/usr/lib/sbcl/site and the *.asd symlinks in /usr/lib/sbcl/site-systems.

'A contract,' said my B-law professor back when, 'should be written
under the assumption that you and the nice person you're dealing with
will both be hit by a truck as you leave the building arm-in-arm after
signing it, and your heirs will hate each other's guts.'  I have always
considered this an extremely wise bit of advice.       --Patricia Wrede
From: Javier
On 3 sep, 04:01, Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> What you need to do is untar the bdb tarball into ~/.sbcl/site and then
> ln -s ~/.sbcl/site/bdb*/*asd ~/.sbcl/.systems.
>
> What this does is put the system definitions where ASDF can find 'em (in
> ~/.sbcl/systems) and the lisp code itself where ASDF can load it
> (~/.sbcl/site).
>
> If you want to install it system-wide, drop the package in
> /usr/lib/sbcl/site and the *.asd symlinks in /usr/lib/sbcl/site-systems.

Thank you very much, but I got lot of compile time errors, mainly when
it tries to call CL-STORE functions. I think I'm going to give up.
From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
Javier <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> On 3 sep, 04:01, Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>> What you need to do is untar the bdb tarball into ~/.sbcl/site and then
>> ln -s ~/.sbcl/site/bdb*/*asd ~/.sbcl/.systems.
>>
>> What this does is put the system definitions where ASDF can find 'em (in
>> ~/.sbcl/systems) and the lisp code itself where ASDF can load it
>> (~/.sbcl/site).
>>
>> If you want to install it system-wide, drop the package in
>> /usr/lib/sbcl/site and the *.asd symlinks in /usr/lib/sbcl/site-systems.
>
> Thank you very much, but I got lot of compile time errors, mainly when
> it tries to call CL-STORE functions. I think I'm going to give up.

You shouldn't. Or is really that unimportant to you?
CL-STORE works nicely over here (although on AllgroCL). If it is
important for you to get this to work we may be able to help if you
show us the coompile errors ...

Frank

--

  Frank Goenninger

  frgo(at)mac(dot)com

  "Don't ask me! I haven't been reading comp.lang.lisp long enough to
  really know ..."