From: anon
Subject: Lisp Machine
I am designing a CD-ROM bootable 'Lisp Machines' System which will allow
one to use a number of Lisp OS versions without the need for a host OS.
At the moment this system is limited to Intel class of processors.

The CADR has been already re-written for this system.  In this case, the
system acts as close to as possible to the actual CADR LISP Machine
except for the processing speeds.  Also, you must allocate a partition
to the CADR system for a harddrive.

Performance: About 3 to 5 times faster than the existing CADR emulator
do to the underlying system language used (non-C) and using no host OS.

I just wish I could get the Intel Micro-Code compiler (price too high for
a non-commerical design) so I could create a Modern True Lisp Machine.
That is, to create or alter the Intel instructions set to understand Lisp.
After altering the micro-code would stay loaded until the processor is
reset. Resetting the processor re-sets the micro-code to Intel's factory
default. I think that would be a COOL system design!!!

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: Lisp Machine
In article <·····················@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
 ····@anon.org (anon) wrote:

> I am designing a CD-ROM bootable 'Lisp Machines' System which will allow
> one to use a number of Lisp OS versions without the need for a host OS.
> At the moment this system is limited to Intel class of processors.

How about AMD?

> The CADR has been already re-written for this system.  In this case, the
> system acts as close to as possible to the actual CADR LISP Machine
> except for the processing speeds.  Also, you must allocate a partition
> to the CADR system for a harddrive.
>
> Performance: About 3 to 5 times faster than the existing CADR emulator
> do to the underlying system language used (non-C) and using no host OS.

How about graphics, mouse, keyboard and ethernet?

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: anon
In <····························@news-europe.giganews.com>, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> writes:
>In article <·····················@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> ····@anon.org (anon) wrote:
>
>> I am designing a CD-ROM bootable 'Lisp Machines' System which will allow
>> one to use a number of Lisp OS versions without the need for a host OS.
>> At the moment this system is limited to Intel class of processors.
>
>How about AMD?

Not Sure! Since I have only build and use Intel based PC.

>> The CADR has been already re-written for this system.  In this case, the
>> system acts as close to as possible to the actual CADR LISP Machine
>> except for the processing speeds.  Also, you must allocate a partition
>> to the CADR system for a harddrive.
>>
>> Performance: About 3 to 5 times faster than the existing CADR emulator
>> do to the underlying system language used (non-C) and using no host OS.
>
>How about graphics, mouse, keyboard and ethernet?

For the CADR system:

  Ethernet replaced the chaosnet:
        No workable Chaosnet application for testing.
        Multi-CADR systems still need testing.

  TELNET replaced keyboard/mouse/graphics routines:
        Local ethernet connects CADR to a second system, for
        Terminal emulation.

  The "onboard graphic card" is use as optional higher graphic display
        VGA at the moment