From: Alex Y Wang
Subject: Install Clisp on Windows
Hi, I'm new to Lisp and I'm trying to setup a Clisp+emacs+slime
environment on windows. The installation instruction for Clisp says I
need to configure it then build lispinit.mem then copy lisp.exe and
lispinit.mem to a build folder before I can use it. While I found that
simply running Clisp.exe will do the job. Is there a difference? What
am I missing here?

From: Slobodan Blazeski
Subject: Re: Install Clisp on Windows
On Oct 31, 4:54 pm, Alex Y Wang <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to Lisp and I'm trying to setup a Clisp+emacs+slime
> environment on windows. The installation instruction for Clisp says I
> need to configure it then build lispinit.mem then copy lisp.exe and
> lispinit.mem to a build folder before I can use it. While I found that
> simply running Clisp.exe will do the job. Is there a difference? What
> am I missing here?

How about using this http://common-lisp.net/pcl/windows/lispbox-0.7-clisp-2.37.zip
from http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/  CLisp version is older 2.37
vs newest 2.42
but for starter it won't really matter. You only have to unzip it and
you're good to code.
Beside you get bundled it with code from http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/
cheers
Slobodan
From: Jason
On Oct 31, 9:35 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Oct 31, 4:54 pm, Alex Y Wang <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'm new to Lisp and I'm trying to setup a Clisp+emacs+slime
> > environment on windows. The installation instruction for Clisp says I
> > need to configure it then build lispinit.mem then copy lisp.exe and
> > lispinit.mem to a build folder before I can use it. While I found that
> > simply running Clisp.exe will do the job. Is there a difference? What
> > am I missing here?
>
> How about using thishttp://common-lisp.net/pcl/windows/lispbox-0.7-clisp-2.37.zip
> fromhttp://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/ CLisp version is older 2.37
> vs newest 2.42
> but for starter it won't really matter. You only have to unzip it and
> you're good to code.
> Beside you get bundled it with code fromhttp://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/
> cheers
> Slobodan

I wish I knew this before.... I spent good $$ on that book (you are
welcome, Peter)!
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Oct 31, 6:04 pm, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 31, 9:35 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 31, 4:54 pm, Alex Y Wang <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi, I'm new to Lisp and I'm trying to setup a Clisp+emacs+slime
> > > environment on windows. The installation instruction for Clisp says I
> > > need to configure it then build lispinit.mem then copy lisp.exe and
> > > lispinit.mem to a build folder before I can use it. While I found that
> > > simply running Clisp.exe will do the job. Is there a difference? What
> > > am I missing here?
>
> > How about using thishttp://common-lisp.net/pcl/windows/lispbox-0.7-clisp-2.37.zip
> > fromhttp://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/CLisp version is older 2.37
> > vs newest 2.42
> > but for starter it won't really matter. You only have to unzip it and
> > you're good to code.
> > Beside you get bundled it with code fromhttp://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/
> > cheers
> > Slobodan
>
> I wish I knew this before.... I spent good $$ on that book (you are
> welcome, Peter)!

Peter has done a great job with PCL, your money has been well spent
supporting him and Apress.
Slobodan
From: Jason
On Oct 31, 11:58 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Oct 31, 6:04 pm, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 31, 9:35 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > How about using thishttp://common-lisp.net/pcl/windows/lispbox-0.7-clisp-2.37.zip
> > > fromhttp://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/CLispversion is older 2.37
> > > vs newest 2.42
> > > but for starter it won't really matter. You only have to unzip it and
> > > you're good to code.
> > > Beside you get bundled it with code fromhttp://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/
> > > cheers
> > > Slobodan
>
> > I wish I knew this before.... I spent good $$ on that book (you are
> > welcome, Peter)!
>
> Peter has done a great job with PCL, your money has been well spent
> supporting him and Apress.
> Slobodan- Hide quoted text -

I agree 100%, and I am only on page 218.
From: Alex Y Wang
From: Bernd Schmitt
Hi Alex,

On 31.10.2007 16:54, Alex Y Wang wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to Lisp and I'm trying to setup a Clisp+emacs+slime
why not using sbcl. i tried clisp before and i did not like it because
- the online documentation
- the speed

i changed to sbcl and to me this is much better. you just download it &
adjust your .emacs, ready.

Ciao
Bernd
From: Pillsy
On Oct 31, 1:40 pm, Bernd Schmitt <··················@gmx.net> wrote:
[...]
> i changed to sbcl and to me this is much better. you just download it &
> adjust your .emacs, ready.

If you're just starting, and you're using SLIME as your environment,
it's not a big deal to switch implementations. I think I went Clisp =>
OpenMCL => SBCL before I settled down.

Cheers,
Pillsy
From: ardaliev
On Oct 31, 4:54 pm, Alex Y Wang <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to Lisp and I'm trying to setup a Clisp+emacs+slime
> environment on windows. The installation instruction for Clisp says I
> need to configure it then build lispinit.mem then copy lisp.exe and
> lispinit.mem to a build folder before I can use it. While I found that
> simply running Clisp.exe will do the job. Is there a difference? What
> am I missing here?

Look at this blog entry:

http://ctnd.ath.cx/2007/06/windows-lisp-setup.html

here are step by step instructions on how to setup clisp +emacs+slime
in windows