From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: Lisp on Leopard
Hi,

Now that Mac OS X 10.5 is out, which Common Lisp implementations work
fine on that platform, and which ones have problems? (I'm not running
10.5 yet, but since I port my stuff to many implementations, I'd like to
make sure that I am not missing too much when I eventually do the switch
from 10.4 to 10.5).

Thanks for any hints!

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: Lisp on Leopard
In article <··············@mid.individual.net>,
 Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now that Mac OS X 10.5 is out, which Common Lisp implementations work
> fine on that platform, and which ones have problems? (I'm not running
> 10.5 yet, but since I port my stuff to many implementations, I'd like to
> make sure that I am not missing too much when I eventually do the switch
> from 10.4 to 10.5).
>
> Thanks for any hints!
>
> Pascal

I have only tested Intel Macs so far.

SBCL, CMUCL and OpenMCL should work fine on Intel Macs.

LispWorks may need patches. There will be some some update soon.

Also check this out:

ftp://clozure.com/pub/testing/ClozureCL2007-10-28.dmg

Clozure CL for Intel Macs, 64bit, Mac OS X 10.5.
From: petere
On Oct 30, 12:43 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:

> LispWorks may need patches. There will be some some update soon.

LispWorks, at least the free personal version, does need a patch. The
splash screen won't close on my machine, for one. Makes it hard to
investiage it any further. Of course that's just their UI, I haven't
had a chance to try LispWorks in Emacs/slime yet.

Also, FYI, there are a lot of problems with X11 in Leopard. If you
rely on that, you might want to wait to upgrade.

- Peter
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·······················@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com>,
 petere <··········@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 12:43 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> >
> > LispWorks may need patches. There will be some some update soon.
>
> LispWorks, at least the free personal version, does need a patch. The
> splash screen won't close on my machine, for one. Makes it hard to
> investiage it any further. Of course that's just their UI, I haven't
> had a chance to try LispWorks in Emacs/slime yet.
>
> Also, FYI, there are a lot of problems with X11 in Leopard. If you
> rely on that, you might want to wait to upgrade.
>
> - Peter

What kind of problems are you seeing with X11?

The X11 server is now based on X.org. I was pleased to
see that it also supports 'cursor warp'
(let's programs control the cursor position), which is
needed by Genera.
From: petere
On Oct 30, 2:00 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> What kind of problems are you seeing with X11?
>
> The X11 server is now based on X.org. I was pleased to
> see that it also supports 'cursor warp'
> (let's programs control the cursor position), which is
> needed by Genera.

Yes, I'm glad that they've moved to X.org, and there are some nice new
features such as automatically launching X when a process is started
that looks for a DISPLAY, but there have been numerous problems
reported on the Apple-X11 list, and I've experienced most of them
myself. Most importantly, Leopard X11 has problems with focus, I could
open an X11 window but sometimes not cause it to get focus, so I
wasn't able to resize it, enter any input, or close it. Leopard's X11
also doesn't work with multiple monitors, it's not possible to move an
X11 window to the secondary monitor. X11 also doesn't work with
Leopard's Spaces.

I've reverted to Tiger's X11, and this isn't difficult, but I wonder
how I'll ever switch back to Leopard's X11 when it's ready. The
instructions for reverting are here: http://aaroniba.net/articles/x11-leopard.html

- Peter
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <························@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
 petere <··········@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2:00 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> > What kind of problems are you seeing with X11?
> >
> > The X11 server is now based on X.org. I was pleased to
> > see that it also supports 'cursor warp'
> > (let's programs control the cursor position), which is
> > needed by Genera.
>
> Yes, I'm glad that they've moved to X.org, and there are some nice new
> features such as automatically launching X when a process is started
> that looks for a DISPLAY, but there have been numerous problems
> reported on the Apple-X11 list, and I've experienced most of them
> myself. Most importantly, Leopard X11 has problems with focus, I could
> open an X11 window but sometimes not cause it to get focus, so I
> wasn't able to resize it, enter any input, or close it. Leopard's X11
> also doesn't work with multiple monitors, it's not possible to move an
> X11 window to the secondary monitor. X11 also doesn't work with
> Leopard's Spaces.
>
> I've reverted to Tiger's X11, and this isn't difficult, but I wonder
> how I'll ever switch back to Leopard's X11 when it's ready. The
> instructions for reverting are here: http://aaroniba.net/articles/x11-leopard.html
>
> - Peter

Thanks, I was now also looking at the discussion boards and the
mailing lists. Looks like a bit work. I'm not sure if the
automatic launching of X is a bad thing or if only
the current implementation is just acting strangely. If
Apple were depending on X, I'd think they now would have a
problem or two. ;-)

Meanwhile the OpenMCL list gets some more traffic, now that
it can access Apple's libraries on 64bit-capable Intel
Macs.
From: Pascal Costanza
Rainer Joswig wrote:
> In article <··············@mid.individual.net>,
>  Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Now that Mac OS X 10.5 is out, which Common Lisp implementations work
>> fine on that platform, and which ones have problems? (I'm not running
>> 10.5 yet, but since I port my stuff to many implementations, I'd like to
>> make sure that I am not missing too much when I eventually do the switch
>> from 10.4 to 10.5).
>>
>> Thanks for any hints!
>>
>> Pascal
>
> I have only tested Intel Macs so far.
>
> SBCL, CMUCL and OpenMCL should work fine on Intel Macs.
>
> LispWorks may need patches. There will be some some update soon.
>
> Also check this out:
>
> ftp://clozure.com/pub/testing/ClozureCL2007-10-28.dmg
>
> Clozure CL for Intel Macs, 64bit, Mac OS X 10.5.

Ok, good.

So what about: Allegro, clisp and ecl? Anyone?

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Kevin Layer
Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> writes:

> So what about: Allegro, clisp and ecl? Anyone?

We were waiting for the "gold master" build to be available.  I
downloaded it Saturday night, we installed it today and I'm about to
build the a test candidate of Allegro CL 8.1 on it.  I expect we'll
release this by the end of next week (Nov 9th).

Kevin Layer
From: Duane Rettig
Kevin Layer <·····@*n*o*s*p*a*m*franz.com> writes:

> Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> writes:
>
>> So what about: Allegro, clisp and ecl? Anyone?
>
> We were waiting for the "gold master" build to be available.  I
> downloaded it Saturday night, we installed it today and I'm about to
> build the a test candidate of Allegro CL 8.1 on it.  I expect we'll
> release this by the end of next week (Nov 9th).
>
> Kevin Layer

Kevin is, of course, talking about the Intel 64-bit version - the
others are already available...

From: Pascal Costanza
Duane Rettig wrote:
> Kevin Layer <·····@*n*o*s*p*a*m*franz.com> writes:
>
>> Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> writes:
>>
>>> So what about: Allegro, clisp and ecl? Anyone?
>> We were waiting for the "gold master" build to be available.  I
>> downloaded it Saturday night, we installed it today and I'm about to
>> build the a test candidate of Allegro CL 8.1 on it.  I expect we'll
>> release this by the end of next week (Nov 9th).
>>
>> Kevin Layer
>
> Kevin is, of course, talking about the Intel 64-bit version - the
> others are already available...

Thanks. Generally the transition from 10.4 to 10.5 seems to be much
smoother than from 10.3 to 10.4.

Final member in my list: clisp. I guess this should run without problems
as well, right?

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: ············@gmail.com
> Final member in my list: clisp. I guess this should run without problems
> as well, right?

It works for me on Intel/32bits (it was compiled on Tiger). ABCL works
as well.
From: Pascal Costanza
············@gmail.com wrote:
>> Final member in my list: clisp. I guess this should run without problems
>> as well, right?
>
> It works for me on Intel/32bits (it was compiled on Tiger). ABCL works
> as well.

Cool.

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2007-10-30 12:59:22 -0400, Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> said:

> Ok, good.
>
> So what about: Allegro, clisp and ecl? Anyone?

Since you asked, I decided to download the latest source for ecl. It
compiles under gcc 4.0 without problems and seems to run fine. I
haven't looked into whether there are any options to build in 64-bit
mode, but by default it appears to build as a 32-bit lisp.
From: Pascal Costanza
Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
> On 2007-10-30 12:59:22 -0400, Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> said:
>
>> Ok, good.
>>
>> So what about: Allegro, clisp and ecl? Anyone?
>
> Since you asked, I decided to download the latest source for ecl. It
> compiles under gcc 4.0 without problems and seems to run fine. I haven't
> looked into whether there are any options to build in 64-bit mode, but
> by default it appears to build as a 32-bit lisp.

OK, great! Thanks.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: ············@gmail.com
On Oct 30, 5:59 pm, Pascal Costanza <····@p-cos.net> wrote:
> So what about: Allegro, clisp and ecl? Anyone?

ACL Express 8.1 works fine on Intel/32bits (I only tested it a couple
of minutes).