From: verec
Subject: What is a true lisper looking forward to?
This question is obviously related to the "blurb" language
above CL ... or maybe it isn't ...

When the tooling has ceased to be an issue in one's own mind,
the next questions are "now what?" and the relentless "why?".

Would it be the case that "true lispers" are nowhere to be
seen on c.l.l anymore (save for Mr Pitmann :-) because their
journey has now drifted to some other quest?

When everything you ever wanted out of a language is taken
for granted, what are the areas your mind wanders into?

The brain is that most powerful engine that turns thin air,
aka: ideas, into the real. Into concrete and hard material.

What are the application areas Lisp now allows you to
investigate, turn into either "computer science advances"
or brick-and-mortar businesses or maybe art forms?

Now that you play Lisp like Paganini did his violin, what
music are you composing, what is there for anyone else to see,
what is it that you (wish you) will be remembered for?

Please, no "ML/Haskell/F#/Scheme/whatever" is bigger than
yours! If/when I am interested in what's "beyond Haskell"
I'll ask in the relevant NG -- Thanks!

A genuine "beyond Common Lisp" question.

And yes, Kenny, I know about Cells :-)
--
JFB

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: What is a true lisper looking forward to?

    http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/index.html

> Now that you play Lisp like Paganini did his violin, what
> music are you composing, what is there for anyone else to see,
> what is it that you (wish you) will be remembered for?

Apparently I have already been remembered:

   http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/roundup.html

   http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/features.html

> And yes, Kenny, I know about Cells :-)

Doh! You were doing so well, then dribbled your ball off your knee just
as you were about to cross the end zone to score the winning run!!

Otherwise, word, when you have a great tool (dude, Cells is just another
great tool) build something:

    http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/demo-11.html

Unfortunately, you have made this post in a public Usenet newsgroup, no
one in here but a bunch of winos and academics. Anyone working on an
application is... working on an application.

kt

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"Career highlights? I had two. I got an intentional walk
from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets."."
                                                   - Bob Uecker
From: Rob Warnock
verec <·····@mac.com> asks:
+---------------
| Now that you play Lisp like Paganini did his violin...
+---------------

Hah! *That'll* be the day! ;-}  Nah, I'm just hacking away
with Lisp like a CalTrans worker with a jackhammer -- loud,
inelegant, imprecise, but very effective.

+---------------
| what music are you composing...
+---------------

1. Web applications [using Apache + CMUCL + PostgreSQL].

2. User-mode hardware debugging tools [mmap'ing physical
   bus addresses and then peek/poke-ing at them].

3. Misc. systems utility "scripting".

+---------------
| what is there for anyone else to see,
+---------------

Unfortunately, almost all of the above is being done in proprietary
contexts [though <http://rpw3.org/hacks/lisp/appsrv-demo.lhp> gives
a hint of what #1 might look like]. I've been wanting to clean up
and publish some of the above for quite a while now, but at present
there's no time to work on that. (*sigh*)

+---------------
| what is it that you (wish you) will be remembered for?
+---------------

Probably not very much.

But I'm not using Lisp because I'll "be remembered"; I'm using
it 'cuz *I* don't have to remember very much! [Explanation: I can
pick up Scheme or CL code I wrote six months or six years ago
and and instantly read and comprehend it, but with Perl I have
trouble remembering what code does that I wrote six weeks or
even six *days* ago! Ugh.]

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Daniel Trstenjak
On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 09:11:08PM +0100, verec wrote:
> what is it that you (wish you) will be remembered for?

Not being remembered as an asshole shouldn't be underrated.
How many people achieve this?

Cheers,
Daniel
From: Giorgos Keramidas
On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 14:43:17 +0000 (UTC), Daniel Trstenjak <················@online.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 09:11:08PM +0100, verec wrote:
>> what is it that you (wish you) will be remembered for?
>
> Not being remembered as an asshole shouldn't be underrated.
> How many people achieve this?

Wise words :)
From: Damien Kick

#1=(#1# not unix)
From: Matthias Buelow
Damien Kick wrote:

> #1=(#1# not unix)

I'd like to see Unix and Lisp mated in the most obscene way.
From: Rob Warnock
Matthias Buelow  <···@incubus.de> wrote:
| Damien Kick wrote:
| > #1=(#1# not unix)
|
| I'd like to see Unix and Lisp mated in the most obscene way.

What? Damien's proposal wasn't obscene enough for you?!?  ;-}

-Rob

-----