From: Brian Adkins
Subject: Installing LispWorks on Ubuntu Linux
Has anyone successfully installed LispWorks on Ubuntu Linux?

·····@airstream:~$ uname -a
Linux airstream 2.6.20-16-386 #2 Thu Jun 7 20:16:13 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/
Linux

One of the requirements is to install OpenMotif 2.2, or higher, and
http://www.motifzone.net only has packages for Fedora, RedHat & SUSE,
so I'm installing from source:

./configure
make
XmStrDefs.c:1372: warning: (near initialization for '_XmStrings')
XmStrDefs.c:1374: error: expected declaration specifiers before
'externaldef'
XmStrDefs.c:1666: error: expected declaration specifiers before ';'
token
XmStrDefs.c:1668: error: expected declaration specifiers before
'externaldef'
XmStrDefs.c:1686: error: expected declaration specifiers before ';'
token
XmStrDefs.c:1688: error: expected declaration specifiers before
'externaldef'
XmStrDefs.c:1733: error: expected declaration specifiers before ';'
token
XmStrDefs.c:18: error: declaration for parameter '_XmStrings' but no
such parameter
XmStrDefs.c:1733: error: expected '{' at end of input

Ubuntu/Debian is a very popular Linux. I'm disappointed that LispWorks
doesn't provide an easily installable package for Gnome and KDE.
Having to build pieces myself just to get it to run when I'll only
have a motif interface in the end kind of sucks.

I tried installing Ubuntu motif packages, but lispworks complained
about not finding libXm.so.2, so I then tried linking that to libXm.so.
3.0.2, but that basically crashed X windows on my machine, so it's
apparently not compatible.

Brian Adkins

From: Brian Adkins
Subject: Re: Installing LispWorks on Ubuntu Linux
On Oct 25, 10:10 pm, Brian Adkins <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone successfully installed LispWorks on Ubuntu Linux?
>
> ·····@airstream:~$ uname -a
> Linux airstream 2.6.20-16-386 #2 Thu Jun 7 20:16:13 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/
> Linux
>
> One of the requirements is to install OpenMotif 2.2, or higher, andhttp://www.motifzone.netonly has packages for Fedora, RedHat & SUSE,
> so I'm installing from source:
>
> ./configure
> make
> XmStrDefs.c:1372: warning: (near initialization for '_XmStrings')
> XmStrDefs.c:1374: error: expected declaration specifiers before
> 'externaldef'
> XmStrDefs.c:1666: error: expected declaration specifiers before ';'
> token
> XmStrDefs.c:1668: error: expected declaration specifiers before
> 'externaldef'
> XmStrDefs.c:1686: error: expected declaration specifiers before ';'
> token
> XmStrDefs.c:1688: error: expected declaration specifiers before
> 'externaldef'
> XmStrDefs.c:1733: error: expected declaration specifiers before ';'
> token
> XmStrDefs.c:18: error: declaration for parameter '_XmStrings' but no
> such parameter
> XmStrDefs.c:1733: error: expected '{' at end of input
>
> Ubuntu/Debian is a very popular Linux. I'm disappointed that LispWorks
> doesn't provide an easily installable package for Gnome and KDE.
> Having to build pieces myself just to get it to run when I'll only
> have a motif interface in the end kind of sucks.
>
> I tried installing Ubuntu motif packages, but lispworks complained
> about not finding libXm.so.2, so I then tried linking that to libXm.so.
> 3.0.2, but that basically crashed X windows on my machine, so it's
> apparently not compatible.
>
> Brian Adkins

The error messages above are now red herrings. As I continue to
install more and more Ubuntu X-related packages errors disappear and
new ones rise to take their place :( So, I can only hope that I'll
eventually have enough packages installed to allow successfully
building openmotif.
From: Brian Adkins
On Oct 25, 10:40 pm, Brian Adkins <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 25, 10:10 pm, Brian Adkins <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Has anyone successfully installed LispWorks on Ubuntu Linux?
>
> > ·····@airstream:~$ uname -a
> > Linux airstream 2.6.20-16-386 #2 Thu Jun 7 20:16:13 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/
> > Linux
>
> > One of the requirements is to install OpenMotif 2.2, or higher, andhttp://www.motifzone.netonlyhas packages for Fedora, RedHat & SUSE,
> > so I'm installing from source:
>
> > ./configure
> > make
> > XmStrDefs.c:1372: warning: (near initialization for '_XmStrings')
> > XmStrDefs.c:1374: error: expected declaration specifiers before
> > 'externaldef'
> > XmStrDefs.c:1666: error: expected declaration specifiers before ';'
> > token
> > XmStrDefs.c:1668: error: expected declaration specifiers before
> > 'externaldef'
> > XmStrDefs.c:1686: error: expected declaration specifiers before ';'
> > token
> > XmStrDefs.c:1688: error: expected declaration specifiers before
> > 'externaldef'
> > XmStrDefs.c:1733: error: expected declaration specifiers before ';'
> > token
> > XmStrDefs.c:18: error: declaration for parameter '_XmStrings' but no
> > such parameter
> > XmStrDefs.c:1733: error: expected '{' at end of input
>
> > Ubuntu/Debian is a very popular Linux. I'm disappointed that LispWorks
> > doesn't provide an easily installable package for Gnome and KDE.
> > Having to build pieces myself just to get it to run when I'll only
> > have a motif interface in the end kind of sucks.
>
> > I tried installing Ubuntu motif packages, but lispworks complained
> > about not finding libXm.so.2, so I then tried linking that to libXm.so.
> > 3.0.2, but that basically crashed X windows on my machine, so it's
> > apparently not compatible.
>
> > Brian Adkins
>
> The error messages above are now red herrings. As I continue to
> install more and more Ubuntu X-related packages errors disappear and
> new ones rise to take their place :( So, I can only hope that I'll
> eventually have enough packages installed to allow successfully
> building openmotif.

Here's the latest in case anyone has a solution:

Making all in tools
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/brian/software/openmotif-2.3.0/
tools'
Making all in wml
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/brian/software/openmotif-2.3.0/
tools/wml'
/bin/bash ../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -Wall -g -fno-
strict-aliasing -Wno-unused -Wno-comment -fno-tree-ter -I/usr/include/
freetype2     -o wmluiltok  wmluiltok.o  -lXft -lfontconfig
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -g -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-unused -Wno-comment -fno-
tree-ter -I/usr/include/freetype2 -o wmluiltok wmluiltok.o  -lXft -
lfontconfig
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../lib/crt1.o: In function
`_start':
(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `main'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [wmluiltok] Error 1
From: Chun Tian
LispWorks cannot run on OpenMotif 2.3 on Linux, you must use OpenMotif
2.2

And, compilation on OpenMotif 2.3 at Ubuntu/Debian Linux needs some
patch, I thinks this job should leave Debian/Ubuntu developers to do.

From: Brian Adkins
On Oct 27, 5:24 am, Chun Tian <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> LispWorks cannot run on OpenMotif 2.3 on Linux, you must use OpenMotif
> 2.2

What is the reason you make that statement? LispWorks says it will run
on OpenMotif 2.2 (or higher).

http://www.lispworks.com/support/system-requirements.html
From: Brian Adkins
I just downloaded Allegro Express, and I had it up and running on
Ubuntu about 1 minute after I downloaded it - what a difference in
installation experience! LispWorks could take some notes.

The UI is a bit outdated, and I can't seem to find out how to get it
to use focus-follows-mouse, but the fact that it actually installs and
runs pretty much gives it the win by default as far as commercial IDEs
are concerned.

I did install LispWorks on my Mac mini, and it was quite easy, but I
sure have a bad taste in my mouth from the Ubuntu attempt, and I can't
always use the Mac, so the lack of a running Ubuntu version is pretty
much a deal breaker at this point.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·······················@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,
 Brian Adkins <···········@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just downloaded Allegro Express, and I had it up and running on
> Ubuntu about 1 minute after I downloaded it - what a difference in
> installation experience! LispWorks could take some notes.
>
> The UI is a bit outdated, and I can't seem to find out how to get it
> to use focus-follows-mouse, but the fact that it actually installs and
> runs pretty much gives it the win by default as far as commercial IDEs
> are concerned.
>
> I did install LispWorks on my Mac mini, and it was quite easy, but I
> sure have a bad taste in my mouth from the Ubuntu attempt, and I can't
> always use the Mac, so the lack of a running Ubuntu version is pretty
> much a deal breaker at this point.

How about less whining here and writing a nice email
to the LispWorks guys?
From: Brian Adkins
On Oct 26, 2:50 am, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> In article <·······················@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,
>  Brian Adkins <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just downloaded Allegro Express, and I had it up and running on
> > Ubuntu about 1 minute after I downloaded it - what a difference in
> > installation experience! LispWorks could take some notes.
>
> > The UI is a bit outdated, and I can't seem to find out how to get it
> > to use focus-follows-mouse, but the fact that it actually installs and
> > runs pretty much gives it the win by default as far as commercial IDEs
> > are concerned.
>
> > I did install LispWorks on my Mac mini, and it was quite easy, but I
> > sure have a bad taste in my mouth from the Ubuntu attempt, and I can't
> > always use the Mac, so the lack of a running Ubuntu version is pretty
> > much a deal breaker at this point.
>
> How about less whining here and writing a nice email
> to the LispWorks guys?

Excellent question Rainer. How would that help other folks who may
have problems with installation? Now there is a solution in another
part of this thread that may help someone. I'm glad the guy who wrote
the article that enabled me to get LW installed properly wrote the
article instead of just "writing a nice email".

I've also found that it's common to get a solution from usenet faster
than from a company, so my motivation was a selfish one - I simply
wanted to get the darn thing installed quickly.

I assume that someone from LW will catch this thread and update their
docs if they feel it's warranted, and ignore me if it's not. If it
were me, I'd make darn sure that the install for one of the most
popular Linux distros is simple w/o requiring the customer to install/
build stuff manually. But that's just me.

HTH
Brian
From: Johannes Groedem
* Brian Adkins <···········@gmail.com>:
>> How about less whining here and writing a nice email to the
>> LispWorks guys?
> I've also found that it's common to get a solution from usenet
> faster than from a company, so my motivation was a selfish one - I
> simply wanted to get the darn thing installed quickly.

My (admittedly limited) experience is that they have excellent
support, so I recommend you asking them if you have any problems.  The
lisp-hug mailing list is also a good place to ask for help with
Lispworks-related issues.

http://www.lispworks.com/support/lisp-hug.html

--
Johannes Gr�dem
From: Brian Adkins
On Oct 25, 10:10 pm, Brian Adkins <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone successfully installed LispWorks on Ubuntu Linux?

Finally found an article here:
http://www.ozten.com/psto/2007/06/lispworks-on-x8664-ubuntu-feisty-i-was.html

So I:

Removed all the openmotif source
Installed the motif Ubuntu packages

chmod +w lib/5-0-0-0/config/use-motif-library
vim lib/5-0-0-0/config/use-motif-library
:%s/:prefer-version :lesstif/:prefer-version :motif/
:wq

And it seems to work fine.

The above author found the info here:
http://www.lispworks.com/kb/f05daf889214217a80256c5a004c9b12.html

But in my opinion, that info should go on the main page of the
download. It took the author several days to find it, and it took me
several hours to find his article. Nothing like having to jump through
hoops before you fork over money to a vendor. Maybe if the LispWorks
folks would just follow their instructions for an install on Ubuntu,
they'd see ways of improving the doc :(
From: David Young
I have to say, I had Lispworks installed on my Ubuntu notebook in five
minutes. I realized I didn't have OpenMotif installed, and just used
the Ubuntu package manager to find and install it.

Be careful that your impatience doesn't cause you to miss evaluating a
superb product.

david
From: Brian Adkins
On Oct 26, 9:15 am, David Young <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to say, I had Lispworks installed on my Ubuntu notebook in five
> minutes. I realized I didn't have OpenMotif installed, and just used
> the Ubuntu package manager to find and install it.
>
> Be careful that your impatience doesn't cause you to miss evaluating a
> superb product.
>
> david

Did you also modify the use-motif-library file? My first thought was
to install OpenMotif via the package manager, then when LW failed to
find the shared object, I tried linking which apparently had it trying
to use the OpenMotif library in Lesstif mode. It wasn't until I
manually modified the use-motif-library according to the web site
above that I got it to run.

In the open source world, I wouldn't be upset about minor installation
issues such as this, but when considering paying for a commercial
product, I expect a smoother install.

I'll certainly give it a fair evaluation though since their licensing
is more attractive.
From: David Young
I really didn't need to do anything other than install OpenMotif; at
the time I was running Feisty Fawn.

In the interests of full disclosure, I'm a long-time Lispworks user
(and a big fan).

-- david
From: Chun Tian
Do you really know how to use Ubuntu?

1. OpenMotif 2.2 has a ubuntu package, name like libmotif3, just apt-
get install will be OK.

2. You're using kernel 2.6.20-16-386, I think your CPU can totally run
2.6.20-*-686 kernel.

3. LispWorks only depends on openmotif on linux, but Allegro CL
depends on the whole GTK, sometimes install full gtk2 support on linux
is not a easy job.