From: Jazriel
Subject: Hello
I don't know if this is the place for this but I figured it's a good
start.

I want to start learning (Common) Lisp and I literally don't know what
to do.

How can I obtain the software? Is there a recommended starting point
for the essentially-non-programmer? (I can program in C++, but nothing
beyond your basic recursive functions, arrays, and loops)

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 if that helps.

Thanks for the help.

From: ···············@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Hello
On 9 Oct, 03:34, Jazriel <············@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to start learning (Common) Lisp and I literally don't know what
> to do.

You could give ABLE a try: http://phil.nullable.eu/

Although it's far less well tested on Windows than Linux, a number of
people have said they're using it there. At Slobodan's suggestion,
v0.5 (which should be out in the next few weeks) will come as a
Windows binary so there will be nothing else to install (if you don't
want to).

Alternatively SLIME, LispWorks, Allegro and CUSP are well worth
checking out.

--
Phil
http://phil.nullable.eu/
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Oct 9, 3:18 pm, ···············@gmail.com wrote:
> On 9 Oct, 03:34, Jazriel <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I want to start learning (Common) Lisp and I literally don't know what
> > to do.
>
> You could give ABLE a try:http://phil.nullable.eu/
>
> Although it's far less well tested on Windows than Linux, a number of
> people have said they're using it there. At Slobodan's suggestion,
> v0.5 (which should be out in the next few weeks) will come as a
> Windows binary so there will be nothing else to install (if you don't
> want to).

Thanks for your info. Don't forgeth to announce it when it's ready.
Is it gonna be a CLisp only or it will support SBCL too?

From: ···············@gmail.com
On Oct 9, 7:21 pm, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Oct 9, 3:18 pm, ···············@gmail.com wrote:

> > You could give ABLE a try:http://phil.nullable.eu/
>
> Is it gonna be a CLisp only or it will support SBCL too?

The Windows binary will be compiled with CLISP but the plan is to
support any Common Lisp that you can talk to via stdin/stdout as an
'inferior Lisp'. The integration is obviously not deep like it is with
SLIME but the basic editing facilities (completion, call-tips,
parenthesis matching, indentation, ...) are handled by the host Lisp
which can be either CLISP or SBCL at the moment. It will also be
possible to evaluate your code in the internal Lisp image.

This is the closest I can get to making everyone happy: easy to set up
for a newbie (a native binary with no extra downloads on Windows) but
can talk to any Lisp for those who want to use something else. And if
you want then you can also use the source and have the internal Lisp
running on SBCL if you prefer.

--
Phil
http://phil.nullable.eu/
From: CDon
On Oct 9, 9:18 am, ···············@gmail.com wrote:
> You could give ABLE a try:http://phil.nullable.eu/
>
> Although it's far less well tested on Windows than Linux,
> a number of people have said they're using it there.

I am using ABLE on Windows XP, and it runs quite well.  I would like
to publicly thank Phil for his efforts... I am a strong advocate of
the 'less is more' principle.

Don
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen

Begin here:  http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

> How can I obtain the software?

Look at the Lispbox link from the abovementioned page.
There are other possibilities, but I am sure someone else will mention
them (my own bookmarks seem to be outdated).

  -- Bertrand Russell
From: Stefan Scholl
Jazriel <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 if that helps.

That's easy. Just buy LispWorks for EUR 1,200 (Europe) or
USD 1,300 (USA). :-)

--
Web (en): http://www.no-spoon.de/ -*- Web (de): http://www.frell.de/
From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev
That's what I did, I've also bought the ACL8.1 for nearly the same price
as LW, with restrictions that I cannot release commercial software with it.

It's better than spending these money on a new laptop :)

From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Oct 9, 7:21 pm, "Dimiter \"malkia\" Stanev" <······@gmail.com>
wrote:
> That's what I did, I've also bought the ACL8.1 for nearly the same price
> as LW, with restrictions that I cannot release commercial software with it.

Could you use it as a web server behind commercial application?

From: John Thingstad
P� Tue, 09 Oct 2007 20:25:17 +0200, skrev Slobodan Blazeski
<·················@gmail.com>:

> On Oct 9, 7:21 pm, "Dimiter \"malkia\" Stanev" <······@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> That's what I did, I've also bought the ACL8.1 for nearly the same price
>> as LW, with restrictions that I cannot release commercial software with
>> it.
>
> Could you use it as a web server behind commercial application?

No. You pay royalties for a cite licence, but it is less than a release.
From: Edi Weitz
On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 19:34:29 -0700, Jazriel <············@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if this is the place for this but I figured it's a good
> start.
>
> I want to start learning (Common) Lisp and I literally don't know
> what to do.
>
> How can I obtain the software? Is there a recommended starting point
> for the essentially-non-programmer?

Ever heard of Google?

> I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 if that helps.

Try this:

  http://weitz.de/starter-pack/

Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Oct 9, 4:34 am, Jazriel <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if this is the place for this but I figured it's a good
> start.
>
> I want to start learning (Common) Lisp and I literally don't know what
> to do.
>
> How can I obtain the software? Is there a recommended starting point
> for the essentially-non-programmer? (I can program in C++, but nothing
> beyond your basic recursive functions, arrays, and loops)
>
> I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 if that helps.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Choose one implementation , for learning purposes it doesn't matter
which one, they will all do.
However if you don't want to spend some time on customizing and want a
full blown ide *integrated*  than
Lispworks Personal, AllegroExpress or lispbox are probably easiest to
get going.
Common Lisp is defiend by standard so you could switch implementation
later if you want to.
[shameless selfquoting]
(free commercial software)
http://www.lispworks.com/downloads/index.html
http://www.franz.com/downloads/clp/survey
http://www.cormanlisp.com/download.html
opensource
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/#download  ( pick CLISP if you want
Open Source for windows)
http://sbcl.sourceforge.net/platform-table.html
http://clisp.cons.org/
http://ecls.sourceforge.net/

Free ebooks:
[shameless selfquoting]
For learning common lisp if you're already  experienced in some other
language and you just want to get on creating applications with lisp:
1. http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/    free as ebook, worth every
cent of the paper edition.

If you're new to programming or just prefer slower pace :
2. Gentle introduction  to symbolic computation
http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index....
out of print

The other free ebooks worth looking at, some of them offer printed
editions are,
3.Succesfull Common lisp http://www.psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/contents.html
4.Loving lisp http://www.markwatson.com/opencontent/
5. COMMON LISP: An Interactive Approach http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~shapiro/Commonlisp/
6. Basic Lisp Techniques,  http://www.franz.com/resources/educational_resources/cooper.book.pdf

Good books without online edition are Ansi Common Lisp by Paul Graham
and Lisp 3rd edition Winston & Horn
There's some nice videos that Franz made available free of charge
from their certification program at http://www.franz.com/services/classes/download.lhtml

When you'll need additional libraries check at http://common-lisp.net/
and http://www.cl-user.net.
Edi already suggested his wonderfull starter pack : http://weitz.de/starter-pack/

If you have some question don't hesitate to ask, this group is very
resourcefull and ready to help.

I wish you happy lisping  . I came too from c++.

Slobodan Blazeski
From: Jazriel
From: OMouse
Subject: What about Scheme?
On Oct 8, 10:34 pm, Jazriel <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if this is the place for this but I figured it's a good
> start.
>
> I want to start learning (Common) Lisp and I literally don't know what
> to do.
>
> How can I obtain the software? Is there a recommended starting point
> for the essentially-non-programmer? (I can program in C++, but nothing
> beyond your basic recursive functions, arrays, and loops)
>
> I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 if that helps.
>
> Thanks for the help.

I hate to be the one to say this, but why not try Scheme? Sure there
are differences between it and Common Lisp but the basics are the same
and you'll learn the Lisp-y way of doing things with both (I think,
I'm a beginner as well).

Also, there is a nice beginner friendly environment called DrScheme:
http://www.drscheme.org/
It comes with games and some useful libraries (i.e. for HTML, XML,
Regular Expressions, sockets, etc.)
From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: Re: What about Scheme?
OMouse wrote:
> On Oct 8, 10:34 pm, Jazriel <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know if this is the place for this but I figured it's a good
>> start.
>>
>> I want to start learning (Common) Lisp and I literally don't know what
>> to do.
>>
>> How can I obtain the software? Is there a recommended starting point
>> for the essentially-non-programmer? (I can program in C++, but nothing
>> beyond your basic recursive functions, arrays, and loops)
>>
>> I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 if that helps.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>
> I hate to be the one to say this, but why not try Scheme? Sure there
> are differences between it and Common Lisp but the basics are the same
> and you'll learn the Lisp-y way of doing things with both (I think,
> I'm a beginner as well).

No, Scheme and Common Lisp are quite different.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net