From: Johann Höchtl
Subject: asdf-install sbcl windows
Hello, I am new to Lisp.

This is SBCL 1.0.9 on windows XP.

Trying to get some data out of Postgresql. Thought that CLSQL might be a
start.

But with

(asdf-install:install 'clsql)

it fails:

Installing C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\john\CLSQL.asdf-install-tmp in
C:\Prog
ramme\Steel Bank Common Lisp\1.0.9\site\,C:\Programme\Steel Bank Common
Lisp\1.0
.9\site-systems\
NIL
*
debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR:
   #<SB-IMPL::STRING-OUTPUT-STREAM {AB64BB9}> is closed.

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
   0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

(SB-KERNEL:CLOSED-FLAME #<SB-IMPL::STRING-OUTPUT-STREAM {AB64BB9}>)
0]

debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR:
   #<SB-IMPL::STRING-OUTPUT-STREAM {AB78D21}> is closed.

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
   0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

(SB-KERNEL:CLOSED-FLAME #<SB-IMPL::STRING-OUTPUT-STREAM {AB78D21}>)
0[2]

I tried to figure out what is going wrong in installer.lisp but I am
clueless. Can anybody deduce from the output above where actually it fails?

To narrow this problem: Is it SBCL on Windows (missing infrastructure,
missing features implementation wise) or asdf(-install) so I can regress
further.

Thaks a lot for anybodies wise assistance. Ah yes, I spent a some tinme
googling,
http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/asdf-install-devel/2007-November/thread.html
was of no help. Doesn't seem tar related, though the error message is of
no further help for me.

Regards,
    Johann

From: Vagif Verdi
Subject: Re: asdf-install sbcl windows
From: Slobodan Blazeski
CLSQL is a mature code, I've used with LW, ACL on windows and never
had any problems.
I didn't tried windows port of sbcl, but since it's still in progress
you better  stick with above or CLisp and ECL.  If you really want to
use SBCL on windows with Postgre try postmodern http://common-lisp.net/project/postmodern/,
it's only PostgreSQL backend and it works very nice with LW & ACL from
my own experience. You might be lucky to find it working with sbcl on
windows.

cheers
Slobodan

My favourite web framework
http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-weblocks/
live demo at
http://72.249.76.121/
From: Alex Mizrahi
 JH> Hello, I am new to Lisp.
 JH> This is SBCL 1.0.9 on windows XP.
 JH> Trying to get some data out of Postgresql. Thought that CLSQL might be
 JH> a start.

are you intentionally choosing hardest path? SBCL is not officially
supported on Win32.

you can use free vmware products to run Linux on Windows, and run SBCL
there, or you can switch to implementation that is more-or-less supported
(CLISP, for example).
From: Johann Höchtl
Johann H�chtl wrote:
> Hello, I am new to Lisp.
>
> This is SBCL 1.0.9 on windows XP.
>
> Trying to get some data out of Postgresql. Thought that CLSQL might be a
> start.
>
> But with
>
> (asdf-install:install 'clsql)
>
> it fails:
>
> Installing C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\john\CLSQL.asdf-install-tmp in
> C:\Prog
> ramme\Steel Bank Common Lisp\1.0.9\site\,C:\Programme\Steel Bank Common
> Lisp\1.0
> .9\site-systems\
> NIL
> *
> debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR:
>   #<SB-IMPL::STRING-OUTPUT-STREAM {AB64BB9}> is closed.
>
> Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.
>
> restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
>   0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.
>
> (SB-KERNEL:CLOSED-FLAME #<SB-IMPL::STRING-OUTPUT-STREAM {AB64BB9}>)
> 0]
>
> debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR:
>   #<SB-IMPL::STRING-OUTPUT-STREAM {AB78D21}> is closed.
>
> Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.
>
> restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
>   0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.
>
> (SB-KERNEL:CLOSED-FLAME #<SB-IMPL::STRING-OUTPUT-STREAM {AB78D21}>)
> 0[2]
>
> I tried to figure out what is going wrong in installer.lisp but I am
> clueless. Can anybody deduce from the output above where actually it fails?
>
> To narrow this problem: Is it SBCL on Windows (missing infrastructure,
> missing features implementation wise) or asdf(-install) so I can regress
> further.

So what an where is the problem?

Johann
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Nov 30, 10:51 am, Johann Höchtl <·······@none.none> wrote:
> Johann Höchtl wrote:
> > Hello, I am new to Lisp.
>
> > This is SBCL 1.0.9 on windows XP.
>
> > Trying to get some data out of Postgresql. Thought that CLSQL might be a
> > start.
>
> > But with
>
> > (asdf-install:install 'clsql)
>
> > it fails:
>
> > Installing C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\john\CLSQL.asdf-install-tmp in
> > C:\Prog
> > ramme\Steel Bank Common Lisp\1.0.9\site\,C:\Programme\Steel Bank Common
> > Lisp\1.0
> > .9\site-systems\
> > NIL
> > *
> > debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR:
> >   #<SB-IMPL::STRING-OUTPUT-STREAM {AB64BB9}> is closed.
>
> > Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.
>
> > restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
> >   0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.
>
> > (SB-KERNEL:CLOSED-FLAME #<SB-IMPL::STRING-OUTPUT-STREAM {AB64BB9}>)
> > 0]
>
> > debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR:
> >   #<SB-IMPL::STRING-OUTPUT-STREAM {AB78D21}> is closed.
>
> > Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.
>
> > restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
> >   0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.
>
> > (SB-KERNEL:CLOSED-FLAME #<SB-IMPL::STRING-OUTPUT-STREAM {AB78D21}>)
> > 0[2]
>
> > I tried to figure out what is going wrong in installer.lisp but I am
> > clueless. Can anybody deduce from the output above where actually it fails?
>
> > To narrow this problem: Is it SBCL on Windows (missing infrastructure,
> > missing features implementation wise) or asdf(-install) so I can regress
> > further.
>
> So what an where is the problem?
>
> Johann

Which part of the SBCL is not officially supported on windows you
don't understand?
If current port is working with your library - great, else try another
implementation unless you want to start hacking the compiler. In which
case contact SBCL maintainers, they might use some extra brain cells.

Slobodan
From: Alex Mizrahi
 ??>> To narrow this problem: Is it SBCL on Windows (missing infrastructure,
 ??>> missing features implementation wise) or asdf(-install) so I can
 ??>> regress further.
 ??>>
 JH> So what an where is the problem?

after you've got error, type :backtrace to get more detailed information.
probably it's even too detailed in SBCL, but you get information what system
was doing when it got that error.
also please note that you can use ASDF libraries without ASDF-INSTALL --
just unpack library and push it's dir into asdf:*central-registry*.
then probably you'll be seeing some other failure related to CLSQL itself.

but i still *strongly* suggest you to use only supported configurations, at
least until you'll get familiar with :backtrace, debugging and stuff.
From: Johann Höchtl
Alex Mizrahi wrote:
>  ??>> To narrow this problem: Is it SBCL on Windows (missing infrastructure,
>  ??>> missing features implementation wise) or asdf(-install) so I can
>  ??>> regress further.
>  ??>>
>  JH> So what an where is the problem?
>
> after you've got error, type :backtrace to get more detailed information.
> probably it's even too detailed in SBCL, but you get information what system
> was doing when it got that error.
Thank you, that was what I was looking for.

> but i still *strongly* suggest you to use only supported configurations, at
> least until you'll get familiar with :backtrace, debugging and stuff.

I will help the SBCL team in their effort porting to windows. But
without adequate debug information my help would be useless.
From: Alex Mizrahi
 ??>> but i still *strongly* suggest you to use only supported
 ??>> configurations, at least until you'll get familiar with :backtrace,
 ??>> debugging and stuff.
 ??>>
 JH> I will help the SBCL team in their effort porting to windows. But
 JH> without adequate debug information my help would be useless.

my humble opinion is that it's just not possible.
it barely reaches adequate quality on platform it's most tested and
supported -- Linux. conservative GC (that means your absolutely correct
program can memory leak on day), "goodbye" instead of out of memory errors
(so single little bug can mean total loss of your image), and dozens of
lesser glitches make it not very pleasant in production environment.
on windows it will probably reach adequate quality never.

that's just my personal opinion..
From: Johann Höchtl
Alex Mizrahi wrote:
> my humble opinion is that it's just not possible.
> it barely reaches adequate quality on platform it's most tested and
> supported -- Linux. conservative GC (that means your absolutely correct
> program can memory leak on day), "goodbye" instead of out of memory errors
> (so single little bug can mean total loss of your image), and dozens of
> lesser glitches make it not very pleasant in production environment.
> on windows it will probably reach adequate quality never.

Doesn't sound to good, true. I will switch to Linux as soon as KDE4 is
in Kubunut, i hesitate to dist-upgrade my dapper.

Given the recent discussion CLISP vs. ... none free implementation looks
  good on Windows, so for the while I will stay with SBCL.

From: Daniel Weinreb
Alex Mizrahi wrote:
>  ??>> but i still *strongly* suggest you to use only supported
>  ??>> configurations, at least until you'll get familiar with :backtrace,
>  ??>> debugging and stuff.
>  ??>>
>  JH> I will help the SBCL team in their effort porting to windows. But
>  JH> without adequate debug information my help would be useless.
>
> my humble opinion is that it's just not possible.
> it barely reaches adequate quality on platform it's most tested and
> supported -- Linux. conservative GC (that means your absolutely correct
> program can memory leak on day), "goodbye" instead of out of memory errors
> (so single little bug can mean total loss of your image), and dozens of
> lesser glitches make it not very pleasant in production environment.
> on windows it will probably reach adequate quality never.
>
> that's just my personal opinion..

At ITA Software we use SBCL on Linux for our main product,
QPX, and we have been using it for the development of our
new airline reservation system.  QPX runs 24/7 and provides
service to Orbix and many major airlines. If that's not
a production environment, I don't know what is.  We are
extremely satisfied with SBCL and I would recommend it
highly without reservation.

It is true that a conservative GC can cause memory
leaks.  In practice, this has not been a serious
problem.  In a production environment, moreover,
if it really does turn out to be a problem, you
can always do rolling reboots within a cluster,
which in my opinion is a good practice for other
reasons.
From: Daniel Weinreb
Alex Mizrahi wrote:
>  ??>> but i still *strongly* suggest you to use only supported
>  ??>> configurations, at least until you'll get familiar with :backtrace,
>  ??>> debugging and stuff.
>  ??>>
>  JH> I will help the SBCL team in their effort porting to windows. But
>  JH> without adequate debug information my help would be useless.
>
> my humble opinion is that it's just not possible.
> it barely reaches adequate quality on platform it's most tested and
> supported -- Linux. conservative GC (that means your absolutely correct
> program can memory leak on day), "goodbye" instead of out of memory errors
> (so single little bug can mean total loss of your image), and dozens of
> lesser glitches make it not very pleasant in production environment.
> on windows it will probably reach adequate quality never.
>
> that's just my personal opinion..

At ITA Software, we use SBCL for our QPX application, which
powers Orbix and many major airlines with low-fare search.
It's up 24/7 in the most "production" environment you can
imagine.  I recommend it wholeheartedly.

It's true that conservative GC can cause leaks.  In
practice, this has not been much of a problem.
However, if it does turn out to be a problem in
a production environment, one solution is to
do rolling reboots within your cluster, which
in my opinion is a good idea for other reasons.