From: are
Subject: GET-SETF-METHOD in SBCL?
Working my way through "On Lisp," I've hit chapter 12, which
introduces GET-SETF-METHOD.  The trouble is that the Lisp I'm using,
SBCL, gives me an "undefined function" error whenever I try to use it.

From a prompt, however, SBCL does offer GET-SETF-METHOD as a possible
completion for GET-S.

What gives?

From: Zach Beane
Subject: Re: GET-SETF-METHOD in SBCL?
are <·········@gmx.net> writes:

> Working my way through "On Lisp," I've hit chapter 12, which
> introduces GET-SETF-METHOD.  The trouble is that the Lisp I'm using,
> SBCL, gives me an "undefined function" error whenever I try to use it.
>
> From a prompt, however, SBCL does offer GET-SETF-METHOD as a possible
> completion for GET-S.
>
> What gives?

"On Lisp" isn't up to date with ANSI. The defpackage and in-package
stuff, for example, is also incorrect.

Zach
From: Tobias C. Rittweiler
are <·········@gmx.net> writes:

> Working my way through "On Lisp," I've hit chapter 12, which
> introduces GET-SETF-METHOD.  The trouble is that the Lisp I'm using,
> SBCL, gives me an "undefined function" error whenever I try to use it.
>
> From a prompt, however, SBCL does offer GET-SETF-METHOD as a possible
> completion for GET-S.
>
> What gives?

GET-SETF-METHOD was later renamed to GET-SETF-EXPANSION. See the X3J13
Cleanup Issue for further reference:

  http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Issues/iss308_w.htm

  -T.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article
<····································@w28g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
 are <·········@gmx.net> wrote:

> Working my way through "On Lisp," I've hit chapter 12, which
> introduces GET-SETF-METHOD.  The trouble is that the Lisp I'm using,
> SBCL, gives me an "undefined function" error whenever I try to use it.
>
> From a prompt, however, SBCL does offer GET-SETF-METHOD as a possible
> completion for GET-S.
>
> What gives?

It was described in CLtL2, but it is not in ANSI CL.

For ANSI CL you might want to check out CL:GET-SETF-EXPANSION .
From: are
Thanks, guys!

From: Ari Johnson
are <·········@gmx.net> writes:

> Working my way through "On Lisp," I've hit chapter 12, which
> introduces GET-SETF-METHOD.  The trouble is that the Lisp I'm using,
> SBCL, gives me an "undefined function" error whenever I try to use it.
>
> From a prompt, however, SBCL does offer GET-SETF-METHOD as a possible
> completion for GET-S.
>
> What gives?

Others have answered the first part of your problem.  The likely
answer for why GET-SETF-METHOD is offered as a possible completion for
GET-S is that you have tried to use GET-SETF-METHOD and, in your
attempt, ended up with that symbol being interned into CL-USER.  Try
(apropos "GET-SETF") for more possibilities.

(Interestingly, I just tried that on a clean SBCL and it found both
SB-IMPL::GET-SETF-METHOD (which is fbound) and SB-C::GET-SETF-METHOD
(which is not).  The documentation string for SB-IMPL::GET-SETF-METHOD
does point out that it is "a relic from pre-ANSI Common Lisp".)