From: OMouse
Subject: Toronto Lisp User Group?
I'd like to know just where the heck are the Toronto Lisp users and
who would be interested in starting a Toronto Lisp User Group.

Suggestions for what should be done for a first meeting, and when, are
very welcome. Bill C. has given a few: http://bc.tech.coop/blog/071030.html

Patiently waiting,
Rudolf O.

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: Toronto Lisp User Group?
OMouse wrote:
> I'd like to know just where the heck are the Toronto Lisp users and
> who would be interested in starting a Toronto Lisp User Group.
>
> Suggestions for what should be done for a first meeting,...

What part of "beers" do you not understand?

> and when,...

No sooner than breakfast, unless that is the only time convenient.

>... are
> very welcome. Bill C. has given a few: http://bc.tech.coop/blog/071030.html

I have two thoughts:

(a) Where's my damn book, Bill?! Anything Bloom County will do.

(b) I think formal presentations are a bad idea. Lispers and their
wannabes are great to talk to. Presentations followed by socializing
mean less time for socializing. Q frickin ED. There is never enough time
to get to all the great subclusters of chat in these deals, even when we
have no presentations at LispNYC, which I rarely attend anymore because
they just have talks on Java in a church followed by a half-hour social.
Do not go there.

> Patiently waiting,

For a track to explode on?

kxo

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"In the morning, hear the Way;
  in the evening, die content!"
                     -- Confucius
From: Geoff Wozniak
On Nov 21, 1:33 am, OMouse <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to know just where the heck are the Toronto Lisp users and
> who would be interested in starting a Toronto Lisp User Group.

I'm in the area and would be happy to come out to an evening based on
Lisp -- and beer.

The dangers Kenny mentions are real, by the way.  Formal presentations
do take away from socializing, so I propose making them informal,
which amounts to bringing your laptop.
From: OMouse
On Nov 21, 5:43 pm, Geoff Wozniak <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 21, 1:33 am, OMouse <······@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to know just where the heck are the Toronto Lisp users and
> > who would be interested in starting a Toronto Lisp User Group.
>
> I'm in the area and would be happy to come out to an evening based on
> Lisp -- and beer.
>
> The dangers Kenny mentions are real, by the way.  Formal presentations
> do take away from socializing, so I propose making them informal,
> which amounts to bringing your laptop.

This is when I wish I had a laptop. The closest thing to a laptop is
my binder containing On Lisp :P

But yeah, beer is good. Somewhere near the U of T campus would be a
good idea since that's close the center of the subway line. There's
free wifi at a bar near Spadina station.

-Rudolf O.
From: Drew Crampsie
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 22:33:19 -0800, OMouse wrote:

> I'd like to know just where the heck are the Toronto Lisp users and who
> would be interested in starting a Toronto Lisp User Group.
>
> Suggestions for what should be done for a first meeting, and when, are
> very welcome. Bill C. has given a few:
> http://bc.tech.coop/blog/071030.html

I'll be in Toronto from Dec 18 to Jan 2, and i love lisp meetups.

Cheers,

drewc

> Patiently waiting,
> Rudolf O.

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 22:33:19 -0800, OMouse wrote:
> > I'd like to know just where the heck are the Toronto Lisp users and who
> > would be interested in starting a Toronto Lisp User Group.
>
> > Suggestions for what should be done for a first meeting, and when, are
> > very welcome. Bill C. has given a few:
> >http://bc.tech.coop/blog/071030.html
>
> I'll be in Toronto from Dec 18 to Jan 2, and i love lisp meetups.
>
> Cheers,
>
> drewc
>

> > Patiently waiting,
> > Rudolf O.

December 20th it is then. That's a Thursday and the name of the place
is the Fox and Fiddle on Bloor.

-Rudolf O.
From: Christopher Browne
OMouse <······@gmail.com> writes:
> On Nov 21, 7:07 pm, Drew Crampsie <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 22:33:19 -0800, OMouse wrote:
>> > I'd like to know just where the heck are the Toronto Lisp users and who
>> > would be interested in starting a Toronto Lisp User Group.
>>
>> > Suggestions for what should be done for a first meeting, and when, are
>> > very welcome. Bill C. has given a few:
>> >http://bc.tech.coop/blog/071030.html
>>
>> I'll be in Toronto from Dec 18 to Jan 2, and i love lisp meetups.
>
> December 20th it is then. That's a Thursday and the name of the place
> is the Fox and Fiddle on Bloor.

Looks pretty likely that I could make it...  I've too busy with other
languages to do too much Lisping lately, but certainly would value the
chat...
--
"cbbrowne",·@","gmail.com"
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/lisp.html
From: Christopher Browne
I have set up a facebook event for the Feb 21st date that got
discussed as the proposed next date.

http://www.facebook.com/editevent.php?info&eid=18213025182
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc" ·@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxfinances.info/info/internet.html
From: ········@gmail.com
On Dec 22 2007, 12:23 am, Christopher Browne
<········@ca.afilias.info> wrote:
> I have set up a facebook event for the Feb 21st date that got
> discussed as the proposed next date.
>
> http://www.facebook.com/editevent.php?info&eid=18213025182
> --
> (reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc" ·@" "enworbbc"))http://linuxfinances.info/info/internet.html
> All extremists should be taken out and shot.

I looked for your event posting on Facebook, and couldn't find it. Not
the link, and not by any amount of searching. I think I'll just look
here for the next meeting announcement for 21 Feb. Dealing with
Facebook is about to provoke a psychotic episode.
From: Anton van Straaten
········@gmail.com wrote:
> On Dec 22 2007, 12:23 am, Christopher Browne
> <········@ca.afilias.info> wrote:
>> I have set up a facebook event for the Feb 21st date that got
>> discussed as the proposed next date.
>>
>> http://www.facebook.com/editevent.php?info&eid=18213025182
> I looked for your event posting on Facebook, and couldn't find it. Not
> the link, and not by any amount of searching. I think I'll just look
> here for the next meeting announcement for 21 Feb.

Looks like that link was wrong.  The following works for me:

   http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=18213025182

(I assume you have to be logged in.)

Anton
From: ········@gmail.com

> Looks like that link was wrong.  The following works for me:
>
>    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=18213025182
>
> (I assume you have to be logged in.)
>
> Anton

Bang on. That's got it. Thanks.