From: Jason
Subject: Doing the unthinkable?
Hi All,

I'm on an intel mac, OS X 10.4, and am contemplating actually
purchasing software. (Yeah, I know!)

I'm testing LispWorks Personal and Allegro CL (with 30 day demo), and
manged to get both environments connected (with postmodern and pals)
to my postgres db. Both seem to offer concurrent threads (still
looking into that).

I like the LW IDE. Real fancy. The GUI cocoa/aqua support sounds nice.
Haven't looked at the X11 too much. Unfortunately, it seems the ACL
IDE doesn't work on a mac. Too bad, cause I'd like to test that...

Anyone care to share their experiences with these environments,
especially on OS X? I'm not hell-bent on buying either one, and if I
do it might not be for a while. If there's a good free lisp that
supports FFI, Threads, maybe gui work, then I'd love to hear about
that too!

Thanks

-Jason

From: samantha
Subject: Re: Doing the unthinkable?
On Nov 20, 8:52 am, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm on an intel mac, OS X 10.4, and am contemplating actually
> purchasing software. (Yeah, I know!)
>
> I'm testing LispWorks Personal and Allegro CL (with 30 day demo), and
> manged to get both environments connected (with postmodern and pals)
> to my postgres db. Both seem to offer concurrent threads (still
> looking into that).
>
> I like the LW IDE. Real fancy. The GUI cocoa/aqua support sounds nice.
> Haven't looked at the X11 too much. Unfortunately, it seems the ACL
> IDE doesn't work on a mac. Too bad, cause I'd like to test that...
>
> Anyone care to share their experiences with these environments,
> especially on OS X? I'm not hell-bent on buying either one, and if I
> do it might not be for a while. If there's a good free lisp that
> supports FFI, Threads, maybe gui work, then I'd love to hear about
> that too!
>
> Thanks
>
> -Jason

As far as I have looked into it SBCL supports FFI and threads on the
Mac fine.  I don't too much GUI from lisp on the Mac so I can't speak
to that at all.  There is not native ObjC bridging from SBCL but there
is from OpenMCL.  But the latter is PPC and 64 bit Intel Mac only.  A
lot depends on what flavor of GUI support you need/expect.

Personally I am doing as much as I can with SBCL as it seems best of
open breed.  It is not so much the money as the licensing and runtime
restrictions that come with ACL and Lispworks.  Those take some of the
fun and potential power out of producing Lisp based software.
From: David Young
Hmm. I've always found the Lispworks runtime licensing costs eminently
fair. In fact, for Linux, Windows, Mac and FreeBSD there are none.
Lispworks does not charge a runtime fee for distributed applications
on these platforms. And, quite honestly, I consider the purchase price
of Lispworks a bargain in the commercial software world. It's worth
every penny.

-- david
From: Jason
On Nov 21, 7:03 am, David Young <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm. I've always found the Lispworks runtime licensing costs eminently
> fair. In fact, for Linux, Windows, Mac and FreeBSD there are none.
> Lispworks does not charge a runtime fee for distributed applications
> on these platforms. And, quite honestly, I consider the purchase price
> of Lispworks a bargain in the commercial software world. It's worth
> every penny.
>
> -- david

I just checked out the commercial licensing and value-added reseller
licensing for ACL and LW. The differences between the two are, shall
we say, extreme? This will definitly play a part in my decision making
process.

Maybe I should try to get SBCL compiled and running...

-Jason
From: David Young
They are indeed. Lispworks is a world-class product; our software
would not have been possible without it.

-- david
From: Øyvin Halfdan Thuv
On 2007-11-20, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm on an intel mac, OS X 10.4, and am contemplating actually
> purchasing software. (Yeah, I know!)
>
> I'm testing LispWorks Personal and Allegro CL (with 30 day demo), and
> manged to get both environments connected (with postmodern and pals)
> to my postgres db. Both seem to offer concurrent threads (still
> looking into that).

You should note that native threads does not necessarily mean that you can
make effective use of several cores/processors.

See e.g. http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw50/LWUG/html/lwuser-192.htm#pgfId-889698

ClozureCL(OpenMCL), Scieneer and SBCL are the only Lisp-implementations that
let Lisp code run in more than one thread at a time (that I know of).

This might not be a problem for you though, if you are using threads only to
run code in other threads while waiting for your PostgreSQL DB to respond to
queries (or similar).

> I like the LW IDE. Real fancy. The GUI cocoa/aqua support sounds nice.
> Haven't looked at the X11 too much. Unfortunately, it seems the ACL
> IDE doesn't work on a mac. Too bad, cause I'd like to test that...
>
> Anyone care to share their experiences with these environments,
> especially on OS X? I'm not hell-bent on buying either one, and if I
> do it might not be for a while. If there's a good free lisp that
> supports FFI, Threads, maybe gui work, then I'd love to hear about
> that too!

I have not used AllergoCL since v6.1, but that was a fairly good environment.
I have recently used LispWorks 5 for writing production/delivered systems
on Windows, and I am very pleased withh the quality of the product. Have not
used the Mac-version, though.

But, please note:
In my opinion ClozureCL (formerly OpenMCL) is a very, very good solution for
CL-programming on MacOSX. It fullfils all of your requirements (and more).

See:

http://www.cliki.net/OpenMCL
http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl
ftp://clozure.com/pub/testing/

Note that the IDE is still quite limited. It does not reflect the general
quality of the product though.

--
Oyvin
From: Jason
On Nov 22, 7:50 am, Øyvin Halfdan Thuv <·······@localhost.localdomain>
wrote:
> On 2007-11-20, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
>
> > I'm on an intel mac, OS X 10.4, and am contemplating actually
> > purchasing software. (Yeah, I know!)
>
> > I'm testing LispWorks Personal and Allegro CL (with 30 day demo), and
> > manged to get both environments connected (with postmodern and pals)
> > to my postgres db. Both seem to offer concurrent threads (still
> > looking into that).
>
> You should note that native threads does not necessarily mean that you can
> make effective use of several cores/processors.
>
> See e.g.http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw50/LWUG/html/lwuser-192.htm#...
>
> ClozureCL(OpenMCL), Scieneer and SBCL are the only Lisp-implementations that
> let Lisp code run in more than one thread at a time (that I know of).
>
> This might not be a problem for you though, if you are using threads only to
> run code in other threads while waiting for your PostgreSQL DB to respond to
> queries (or similar).
>
> > I like the LW IDE. Real fancy. The GUI cocoa/aqua support sounds nice.
> > Haven't looked at the X11 too much. Unfortunately, it seems the ACL
> > IDE doesn't work on a mac. Too bad, cause I'd like to test that...
>
> > Anyone care to share their experiences with these environments,
> > especially on OS X? I'm not hell-bent on buying either one, and if I
> > do it might not be for a while. If there's a good free lisp that
> > supports FFI, Threads, maybe gui work, then I'd love to hear about
> > that too!
>
> I have not used AllergoCL since v6.1, but that was a fairly good environment.
> I have recently used LispWorks 5 for writing production/delivered systems
> on Windows, and I am very pleased withh the quality of the product. Have not
> used the Mac-version, though.
>
> But, please note:
> In my opinion ClozureCL (formerly OpenMCL) is a very, very good solution for
> CL-programming on MacOSX. It fullfils all of your requirements (and more).
>
> See:
>
> http://www.cliki.net/OpenMCLhttp://trac.clozure.com/openmclftp://clozure.com/pub/testing/
>
> Note that the IDE is still quite limited. It does not reflect the general
> quality of the product though.
>
> --
> Oyvin

Thank you very much for the info. Now my mind is swarming with the
cornucopia of cl distributions!

-Jason
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <······················@decibel.pvv.ntnu.no>,
 �yvin Halfdan Thuv <·······@localhost.localdomain> wrote:

> On 2007-11-20, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm on an intel mac, OS X 10.4, and am contemplating actually
> > purchasing software. (Yeah, I know!)
> >
> > I'm testing LispWorks Personal and Allegro CL (with 30 day demo), and
> > manged to get both environments connected (with postmodern and pals)
> > to my postgres db. Both seem to offer concurrent threads (still
> > looking into that).
>
> You should note that native threads does not necessarily mean that you can
> make effective use of several cores/processors.
>
> See e.g. http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw50/LWUG/html/lwuser-192.htm#pgfId-889698
>
> ClozureCL(OpenMCL), Scieneer and SBCL are the only Lisp-implementations that
> let Lisp code run in more than one thread at a time (that I know of).

I think you can add Corman CL (Windows).

The doc for SBCL also mentions that this works for Linux (x86/x86-64)
and Solaris (x86). Threading on Mac OS X and FreeBSD is 'experimental'.
On the Mac, last time I have looked, by default
threading was disabled for SBCL.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
From: Slobodan Blazeski
wrote:
> On 2007-11-20, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
>
> > I'm on an intel mac, OS X 10.4, and am contemplating actually
> > purchasing software. (Yeah, I know!)
>
> > I'm testing LispWorks Personal and Allegro CL (with 30 day demo), and
> > manged to get both environments connected (with postmodern and pals)
> > to my postgres db. Both seem to offer concurrent threads (still
> > looking into that).
>
> You should note that native threads does not necessarily mean that you can
> make effective use of several cores/processors.
>
> See e.g.http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw50/LWUG/html/lwuser-192.htm#...
>
> ClozureCL(OpenMCL), Scieneer and SBCL are the only Lisp-implementations that
> let Lisp code run in more than one thread at a time (that I know of).
ACL and LW suffer from giant lock, but check does SBCL  & ClozureMCL
support threading on your target platform and cpu architecture. As for
scieener, I never had a chance to try it, but they don't offer some
kind of express or personal edition , making unable the authors to
provide port so library situation  should be checked very thoroughly .

Slobodan
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Nov 20, 8:52 am, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm on an intel mac, OS X 10.4, and am contemplating actually
> purchasing software. (Yeah, I know!)
>
> I'm testing LispWorks Personal and Allegro CL (with 30 day demo), and
> manged to get both environments connected (with postmodern and pals)
> to my postgres db. Both seem to offer concurrent threads (still
> looking into that).
>
> I like the LW IDE. Real fancy. The GUI cocoa/aqua support sounds nice.
> Haven't looked at the X11 too much. Unfortunately, it seems the ACL
> IDE doesn't work on a mac. Too bad, cause I'd like to test that...
>
> Anyone care to share their experiences with these environments,
> especially on OS X? I'm not hell-bent on buying either one, and if I
> do it might not be for a while. If there's a good free lisp that
> supports FFI, Threads, maybe gui work, then I'd love to hear about
> that too!
>
> Thanks
>
> -Jason

Whatever implementation you pick, make sure that libraries you want to
use or plan to use are fully supported on it. The libraries from the
open source world are geared toward sbcl and Clozure MCL    , and so
are the lisp hackers who produce them.

Just my 2 cents

Slobodan
From: Jason
On Nov 23, 1:54 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Nov 20, 8:52 am, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi All,
>
> > I'm on an intel mac, OS X 10.4, and am contemplating actually
> > purchasing software. (Yeah, I know!)
>
> > I'm testing LispWorks Personal and Allegro CL (with 30 day demo), and
> > manged to get both environments connected (with postmodern and pals)
> > to my postgres db. Both seem to offer concurrent threads (still
> > looking into that).
>
> > I like the LW IDE. Real fancy. The GUI cocoa/aqua support sounds nice.
> > Haven't looked at the X11 too much. Unfortunately, it seems the ACL
> > IDE doesn't work on a mac. Too bad, cause I'd like to test that...
>
> > Anyone care to share their experiences with these environments,
> > especially on OS X? I'm not hell-bent on buying either one, and if I
> > do it might not be for a while. If there's a good free lisp that
> > supports FFI, Threads, maybe gui work, then I'd love to hear about
> > that too!
>
> > Thanks
>
> > -Jason
>
> Whatever implementation you pick, make sure that libraries you want to
> use or plan to use are fully supported on it. The libraries from the
> open source world are geared toward sbcl and Clozure MCL    , and so
> are the lisp hackers who produce them.
>
> Just my 2 cents
>
> Slobodan- Hide quoted text -

I'm starting to think that the best solution might be to find the
combination of implementation/libraries that I expect I will need,
then purchase the OS/hardware best optimized for that implementation.
Bass-ackwards or genius, I can't tell the difference anymore...

-Jason
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Nov 23, 3:45 pm, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 23, 1:54 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 20, 8:52 am, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi All,
>
> > > I'm on an intel mac, OS X 10.4, and am contemplating actually
> > > purchasing software. (Yeah, I know!)
>
> > > I'm testing LispWorks Personal and Allegro CL (with 30 day demo), and
> > > manged to get both environments connected (with postmodern and pals)
> > > to my postgres db. Both seem to offer concurrent threads (still
> > > looking into that).
>
> > > I like the LW IDE. Real fancy. The GUI cocoa/aqua support sounds nice.
> > > Haven't looked at the X11 too much. Unfortunately, it seems the ACL
> > > IDE doesn't work on a mac. Too bad, cause I'd like to test that...
>
> > > Anyone care to share their experiences with these environments,
> > > especially on OS X? I'm not hell-bent on buying either one, and if I
> > > do it might not be for a while. If there's a good free lisp that
> > > supports FFI, Threads, maybe gui work, then I'd love to hear about
> > > that too!
>
> > > Thanks
>
> > > -Jason
>
> > Whatever implementation you pick, make sure that libraries you want to
> > use or plan to use are fully supported on it. The libraries from the
> > open source world are geared toward sbcl and Clozure MCL    , and so
> > are the lisp hackers who produce them.
>
> > Just my 2 cents
>
> > Slobodan- Hide quoted text -

> I'm starting to think that the best solution might be to find the
> combination of implementation/libraries that I expect I will need,
> then purchase the OS/hardware best optimized for that implementation.
> Bass-ackwards or genius, I can't tell the difference anymore...
>
> -Jason
No need for special hardware, what you have is fine, just pick
implementation that suits your needs.  My main reasons for buying
Allegro were allegrocache and allegrograph. Also Franz folks are nice
and ide is really good.I'm on ubuntu linux.

Slobodan
From: Jason
On Nov 23, 11:34 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Nov 23, 3:45 pm, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 23, 1:54 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Whatever implementation you pick, make sure that libraries you want to
> > > use or plan to use are fully supported on it. The libraries from the
> > > open source world are geared toward sbcl and Clozure MCL    , and so
> > > are the lisp hackers who produce them.
>
> > > Just my 2 cents
>
> > > Slobodan- Hide quoted text -

> > I'm starting to think that the best solution might be to find the
> > combination of implementation/libraries that I expect I will need,
> > then purchase the OS/hardware best optimized for that implementation.
> > Bass-ackwards or genius, I can't tell the difference anymore...
>
> > -Jason
>
> No need for special hardware, what you have is fine, just pick
> implementation that suits your needs.  My main reasons for buying
> Allegro were allegrocache and allegrograph. Also Franz folks are nice
> and ide is really good.I'm on ubuntu linux.
>
> Slobodan- Hide quoted text -

I'm actually enjoying testing Allegro. The emacs interface is rather
neat - a lot like Slime but not Slime, and the software seems very
tight, very clean.

The main drawback that I see with ACL though, is their licensing
though. I'm not very comfortable with the per-user license fees on
deployed apps, their value-added licence fees, and the royalties in
perpetuity. If it weren't for those fees I'd likely buy.

-Jason
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 01:54:47 -0800 (PST), Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com> wrote:

> The libraries from the open source world are geared toward sbcl and
> Clozure MCL

I don't think that is true.

Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: rsynnott
On Nov 20, 4:52 pm, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm on an intel mac, OS X 10.4, and am contemplating actually
> purchasing software. (Yeah, I know!)
>
> I'm testing LispWorks Personal and Allegro CL (with 30 day demo), and
> manged to get both environments connected (with postmodern and pals)
> to my postgres db. Both seem to offer concurrent threads (still
> looking into that).
>
> I like the LW IDE. Real fancy. The GUI cocoa/aqua support sounds nice.
> Haven't looked at the X11 too much. Unfortunately, it seems the ACL
> IDE doesn't work on a mac. Too bad, cause I'd like to test that...
>
> Anyone care to share their experiences with these environments,
> especially on OS X? I'm not hell-bent on buying either one, and if I
> do it might not be for a while. If there's a good free lisp that
> supports FFI, Threads, maybe gui work, then I'd love to hear about
> that too!
>
> Thanks
>
> -Jason

Hi,
SBCL for (Intel) MacOS more or less supports threads, though you have
to compile it with an option, and they're not entirely stable. So does
OpenMCL (or Closure CL, or whatever it's calling itself these days).
It only works on PPC and 64bit x86, though, for the moment.

cl-objc apparently works on Intel Macs (with sbcl); I don't currently
have an Intel one so haven't tried it. It's an objective C bridge; it
seems to be the case that you can just make an interface in Apple
Interface Builder, and hook it up. OpenMCL has something similar, but
due to lack of 32bit Intel support, you would need to be using
Leopard, assuming that your Intel Mac is 64 bit (a few of the early
ones were 32bit only Core Duos).
Rob.
From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
Jason <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm on an intel mac, OS X 10.4, and am contemplating actually
> purchasing software. (Yeah, I know!)
>
> I'm testing LispWorks Personal and Allegro CL (with 30 day demo), and
> manged to get both environments connected (with postmodern and pals)
> to my postgres db. Both seem to offer concurrent threads (still
> looking into that).
>
> I like the LW IDE. Real fancy. The GUI cocoa/aqua support sounds nice.
> Haven't looked at the X11 too much. Unfortunately, it seems the ACL
> IDE doesn't work on a mac. Too bad, cause I'd like to test that...
>
> Anyone care to share their experiences with these environments,
> especially on OS X? I'm not hell-bent on buying either one, and if I
> do it might not be for a while. If there's a good free lisp that
> supports FFI, Threads, maybe gui work, then I'd love to hear about
> that too!
>
> Thanks
>
> -Jason

I have been using OS X now for about 3 years to do Lisp development
and I am both pleased with LW and ACL. For GUI programming I am using
Kenny Tilton's Celtk (being based on Tcl/Tk and Cells). Fun, fun, fun.

For ACL I use Emacs/Slime which works really great except for using
the Stepper while debugging. If I really need to step I
quickly fire up LW and use this.

LW is nice and I am using it now as my main development platform
PRECISELY BECAUSE THERE IS NO IDE FOR ACL ON OS X ... Do you listen,
Franz ?! (I have been telling them now for about 9 months but hey, "we
consider it for one of our next releases" is all I got ...)

Both companies offer excellent support, btw. I always got prompt and
precise answers and tips for any request I had - no matter if I was a
real paying customer or just using a free version.

I am about to ship now for the first time for a wider audience and
greater number of users and I am also looking for a Lisp that does not
require buying a license as this is just hobby (Amateur Radio) stuff
that I will not make money of.

Would be good to hear what your decision is then...

Cheers

  Frank

--

  Frank Goenninger

  frgo(at)mac(dot)com

  "Don't ask me! I haven't been reading comp.lang.lisp long enough to
  really know ..."
From: Geoff Wozniak
On Nov 23, 9:47 am, Frank Goenninger DG1SBG <·············@nomail.org>
wrote:
> LW is nice and I am using it now as my main development platform
> PRECISELY BECAUSE THERE IS NO IDE FOR ACL ON OS X ... Do you listen,
> Franz ?! (I have been telling them now for about 9 months but hey, "we
> consider it for one of our next releases" is all I got ...)
>
> Both companies offer excellent support, btw.

There is juxtaposition in those two statements that is oddly
amusing. :-)
From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
Geoff Wozniak <·············@gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 23, 9:47 am, Frank Goenninger DG1SBG <·············@nomail.org>
> wrote:
>> LW is nice and I am using it now as my main development platform
>> PRECISELY BECAUSE THERE IS NO IDE FOR ACL ON OS X ... Do you listen,
>> Franz ?! (I have been telling them now for about 9 months but hey, "we
>> consider it for one of our next releases" is all I got ...)
>>
>> Both companies offer excellent support, btw.
>
> There is juxtaposition in those two statements that is oddly
> amusing. :-)

Well, yes - and no. I do hope it is clear what I meant, though. ;-)

From: David Golden
Frank Goenninger DG1SBG wrote:

> Well, yes - and no.

Well, I certainly think it's important to note that support from a
supplier for the things that are claimed to be supported can still be
excellent, even if the thing you as a client happened to want supported
isn't.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@de.goenninger.net>,
 Frank Goenninger DG1SBG <·············@nomail.org> wrote:

> Jason <·······@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm on an intel mac, OS X 10.4, and am contemplating actually
> > purchasing software. (Yeah, I know!)
> >
> > I'm testing LispWorks Personal and Allegro CL (with 30 day demo), and
> > manged to get both environments connected (with postmodern and pals)
> > to my postgres db. Both seem to offer concurrent threads (still
> > looking into that).
> >
> > I like the LW IDE. Real fancy. The GUI cocoa/aqua support sounds nice.
> > Haven't looked at the X11 too much. Unfortunately, it seems the ACL
> > IDE doesn't work on a mac. Too bad, cause I'd like to test that...
> >
> > Anyone care to share their experiences with these environments,
> > especially on OS X? I'm not hell-bent on buying either one, and if I
> > do it might not be for a while. If there's a good free lisp that
> > supports FFI, Threads, maybe gui work, then I'd love to hear about
> > that too!
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > -Jason
>
> I have been using OS X now for about 3 years to do Lisp development
> and I am both pleased with LW and ACL. For GUI programming I am using
> Kenny Tilton's Celtk (being based on Tcl/Tk and Cells). Fun, fun, fun.
>
> For ACL I use Emacs/Slime which works really great except for using
> the Stepper while debugging. If I really need to step I
> quickly fire up LW and use this.
>
> LW is nice and I am using it now as my main development platform
> PRECISELY BECAUSE THERE IS NO IDE FOR ACL ON OS X ... Do you listen,
> Franz ?! (I have been telling them now for about 9 months but hey, "we
> consider it for one of our next releases" is all I got ...)
>
> Both companies offer excellent support, btw. I always got prompt and
> precise answers and tips for any request I had - no matter if I was a
> real paying customer or just using a free version.
>
> I am about to ship now for the first time for a wider audience and
> greater number of users and I am also looking for a Lisp that does not
> require buying a license as this is just hobby (Amateur Radio) stuff
> that I will not make money of.

It is also quite important that the delivered applications
don't cost money. LispWorks' application are royalty free.
But Franz also had offers for Mac OS X users with
royalty-free delivery in the past. Their pricing also
was competitive. I'd think it is always useful to ask
sales about those things.

For those willing to dig deeper without commercial
support and defined products, Clozure CL could be
a good alternative. On my MacBook Pro it is the
only 64bit application, btw.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:26:22 +0100, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:

> For those willing to dig deeper without commercial support and
> defined products, Clozure CL could be a good alternative. On my
> MacBook Pro it is the only 64bit application, btw.

But AFAIK both LispWorks and Franz also offer 64-bit versions of their
Lisps for Macs.

Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·············@agharta.de>, Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de>
wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:26:22 +0100, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
>
> > For those willing to dig deeper without commercial support and
> > defined products, Clozure CL could be a good alternative. On my
> > MacBook Pro it is the only 64bit application, btw.
>
> But AFAIK both LispWorks and Franz also offer 64-bit versions of their
> Lisps for Macs.
>
> Edi.

Right, I meant it is the only 64-Bit Cocoa application.
For old Mac guys, applications without UI are not
really 'applications'. ;-)
LispWorks' Cocoa-based 64bit version will appear next
year with LispWorks 5.1.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/