From: Mitch Berkson
Subject: asdf:defsystem help
I am trying to define a system with asdf:defsystem on XP.  When I do:

(asdf:defsystem "foo")

I get the error:

Error: Argument NIL is not of type PATHNAME, STRING, or FILE-STREAM.
   1 (abort) Return to level 0.
   2 Return to top loop level 0.

and the backtrace is:

Call to TRUENAME
Call to OR
Call to EVAL
Call to CAPI::CAPI-TOP-LEVEL-FUNCTION
Call to CAPI::INTERACTIVE-PANE-TOP-LOOP
Call to (HARLEQUIN-COMMON-LISP:SUBFUNCTION MP::PROCESS-SG-FUNCTION
MP::INITIALIZE-PROCESS-STACK)

I am able to use other asdf functions on systems already defined (like
lw-add-ons). Thanks for any help.

Mitch

From: Zach Beane
Subject: Re: asdf:defsystem help
Mitch Berkson <········@bermita.com> writes:

> I am trying to define a system with asdf:defsystem on XP.  When I do:
>
> (asdf:defsystem "foo")
>
> I get the error:

ASDF:DEFSYSTEM isn't an interactive command. It's something to stick
into a file named "foo.asd" somewhere in your asdf:*central-registry*
path list. Then you can use (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :foo) to load the
system.

Zach
From: Mitch Berkson
> ASDF:DEFSYSTEM isn't an interactive command. It's something to stick
> into a file named "foo.asd" somewhere in your asdf:*central-registry*
> path list. Then you can use (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :foo) to load the
> system.
>
> Zach

Thanks.  When I put the .asd file in the *central-registry* path, it
works as expected.

Mitch
From: John Thingstad
P� Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:43:42 +0100, skrev Mitch Berkson
<········@bermita.com>:

> I am trying to define a system with asdf:defsystem on XP.  When I do:
>
> (asdf:defsystem "foo")
>
> I get the error:
>
> Error: Argument NIL is not of type PATHNAME, STRING, or FILE-STREAM.
>    1 (abort) Return to level 0.
>    2 Return to top loop level 0.
>
> and the backtrace is:
>
> Call to TRUENAME
> Call to OR
> Call to EVAL
> Call to CAPI::CAPI-TOP-LEVEL-FUNCTION
> Call to CAPI::INTERACTIVE-PANE-TOP-LOOP
> Call to (HARLEQUIN-COMMON-LISP:SUBFUNCTION MP::PROCESS-SG-FUNCTION
> MP::INITIALIZE-PROCESS-STACK)
>
> I am able to use other asdf functions on systems already defined (like
> lw-add-ons). Thanks for any help.
>
> Mitch

That's Odd. I take it you use LispWorks with Edi's starter pack on a XP
machine.
I use the same configuration and yet this dosn't give a error on my
machine.
How do you load the starter pack?
You should use menu file->load and select start.lisp (Default directory is
Lisp Libraries)
Mine are stored under ..user\My Libraries\Lisp Libraries. Have you changed
this?

Anyhow this is not how I would use asdf:defsystem.
An example of a .asd file would be:

bugtrack.asd:

(in-package :cl-user)

(defpackage :bugtrack-asd
   (:use :cl :asdf))

(in-package :bugtrack-asd)

(defsystem :bugtrack
   :serial t
   :components ((:file "packages")
                (:file "bugtrack"))
   :depends-on (:hunchentoot :clsql-mysql :cl-who :cl-ppcre :iterate))

--------------
John Thingstad
From: Mitch Berkson
> That's Odd. I take it you use LispWorks with Edi's starter pack on a XP
> machine.
> I use the same configuration and yet this dosn't give a error on my
> machine.
> How do you load the starter pack?
> You should use menu file->load and select start.lisp (Default directory
> is Lisp Libraries)
> Mine are stored under ..user\My Libraries\Lisp Libraries. Have you
> changed this?
>
> Anyhow this is not how I would use asdf:defsystem.
> --------------
> John Thingstad

I am using Edi's files, but not necessarily the starter pack.  I copied
most of his lw-add-ons file into a an init .lisp file.  I have placed
various packages such as addons, asdf, lw-doc, etc. into the directory
d:\lisp and asdf finds them and puts them in asdf:*central-registry*.

I was originally defining my system in a file.  After that caused the
error, I was experimenting with it interactively.

Does the example you gave work interactively?

Mitch
From: Mitch Berkson
John Thingstad wrote:

> Anyhow this is not how I would use asdf:defsystem.
> An example of a .asd file would be:

Putting my .asd file in the asdf *central-registry* path works for me.
Thanks.

Mitch
From: John Thingstad
P� Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:47:13 +0100, skrev Mitch Berkson
<········@bermita.com>:

> John Thingstad wrote:
>
>> Anyhow this is not how I would use asdf:defsystem.
>> An example of a .asd file would be:
>
> Putting my .asd file in the asdf *central-registry* path works for me.
> Thanks.
>
> Mitch

Yes that. Or with the LispWork's addons I just load start.lisp then write:
  ,cd "path to program" -- (same as (change-directory "path to program))
,l <enter>  -- (defaults to the .asd file in that directory, same as
(asdf:oos asdf:load "filename"))
,p "package name" -- (same as (in-package "package name"))

John Thingstad