From: Andreas Davour
Subject: Slime have stopped working, you know why?
I was abit annoyed that since my computer had crashed slime had failed
to write it's history file which was corrupt. I figured it would get
rebuilt if I just removed it, and did so.

No my slime environment don't work at all. If I type "3" at the slime
REPL I get 3 back and if I type "FOO" I get an error since the symbol is
undefined. Fine.

Now, if I type anything more complex, like (+ 2 2) or (DEFUN FOO (X) (+
x FOO)) it hangs and nothing happens.

I checked what "top" reported and the process status for sbcl was
"ucond" whatever that means.

Since this means I can't continue hacking on my lispcode I'd appreciate
if someone could give me a hint on how to get it working again. I have
reinstalled slime and emacs and it didn't help.

As far as I know I only removed the .slime-history.eld file but it seems
like an odd reason for such a problem, no?

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

From: Jason
Subject: Re: Slime have stopped working, you know why?
On Nov 18, 3:14 pm, Andreas Davour <·······@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse>
wrote:
> I was abit annoyed that since my computer had crashed slime had failed
> to write it's history file which was corrupt. I figured it would get
> rebuilt if I just removed it, and did so.
>
> No my slime environment don't work at all. If I type "3" at the slime
> REPL I get 3 back and if I type "FOO" I get an error since the symbol is
> undefined. Fine.
>
> Now, if I type anything more complex, like (+ 2 2) or (DEFUN FOO (X) (+
> x FOO)) it hangs and nothing happens.
>
> I checked what "top" reported and the process status for sbcl was
> "ucond" whatever that means.
>
> Since this means I can't continue hacking on my lispcode I'd appreciate
> if someone could give me a hint on how to get it working again. I have
> reinstalled slime and emacs and it didn't help.
>
> As far as I know I only removed the .slime-history.eld file but it seems
> like an odd reason for such a problem, no?
>
> /andreas
>
> --
> A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

I had the same problem once. Try writing this as your .slime-
history.eld:

;; -*- coding: utf-8-unix -*-
;; History for SLIME REPL. Automatically written.
;; Edit only if you know what you're doing
("()")

-Jason
From: Andreas Davour
Jason <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 18, 3:14 pm, Andreas Davour <·······@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse>
> wrote:
>> I was abit annoyed that since my computer had crashed slime had failed
>> to write it's history file which was corrupt. I figured it would get
>> rebuilt if I just removed it, and did so.
>>
>> No my slime environment don't work at all. If I type "3" at the slime
>> REPL I get 3 back and if I type "FOO" I get an error since the symbol is
>> undefined. Fine.
>>
>> Now, if I type anything more complex, like (+ 2 2) or (DEFUN FOO (X) (+
>> x FOO)) it hangs and nothing happens.
>>
>> I checked what "top" reported and the process status for sbcl was
>> "ucond" whatever that means.
>>
>> Since this means I can't continue hacking on my lispcode I'd appreciate
>> if someone could give me a hint on how to get it working again. I have
>> reinstalled slime and emacs and it didn't help.
>>
>> As far as I know I only removed the .slime-history.eld file but it seems
>> like an odd reason for such a problem, no?
>
> I had the same problem once. Try writing this as your .slime-
> history.eld:
>
> ;; -*- coding: utf-8-unix -*-
> ;; History for SLIME REPL. Automatically written.
> ;; Edit only if you know what you're doing
> ("()")

Thanks for the hint! Sadly, it didn't improve my situation.

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Sohail Somani
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 00:52:39 +0100, Andreas Davour wrote:

>> I had the same problem once. Try writing this as your .slime-
>> history.eld:
>>
>> ;; -*- coding: utf-8-unix -*-
>> ;; History for SLIME REPL. Automatically written. ;; Edit only if you
>> know what you're doing ("()")
>
> Thanks for the hint! Sadly, it didn't improve my situation.

Try using slime as a different user. If it doesn't die, then you know its
a problem with some config file as used by your current user. Then I
would use strace to determine all the files slime is reading. Looks like
you have to do some good old debugging.

Hope this helped (and post your fix, if you get one!)

--
Sohail Somani
http://uint32t.blogspot.com
From: Andreas Davour
Sohail Somani <······@taggedtype.net> writes:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 00:52:39 +0100, Andreas Davour wrote:
>
>>> I had the same problem once. Try writing this as your .slime-
>>> history.eld:
>>>
>>> ;; -*- coding: utf-8-unix -*-
>>> ;; History for SLIME REPL. Automatically written. ;; Edit only if you
>>> know what you're doing ("()")
>>
>> Thanks for the hint! Sadly, it didn't improve my situation.
>
> Try using slime as a different user. If it doesn't die, then you know its
> a problem with some config file as used by your current user. Then I
> would use strace to determine all the files slime is reading. Looks like
> you have to do some good old debugging.
>
> Hope this helped (and post your fix, if you get one!)

It did! Thanks. Why didn't I think of running it as another user? What
do "strace" do? I don't seems to have a strace in the base FreeBSD
system.

I guess I could always try to start with a clean .emacs, but it will
take forever to put back all the stuff in that file line by line
starting slime between each line...

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Sohail Somani
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 01:11:06 +0100, Andreas Davour wrote:

>> Try using slime as a different user. If it doesn't die, then you know
>> its a problem with some config file as used by your current user. Then
>> I would use strace to determine all the files slime is reading. Looks
>> like you have to do some good old debugging.
>>
>> Hope this helped (and post your fix, if you get one!)
>
> It did! Thanks. Why didn't I think of running it as another user? What
> do "strace" do? I don't seems to have a strace in the base FreeBSD
> system.
>
> I guess I could always try to start with a clean .emacs, but it will
> take forever to put back all the stuff in that file line by line
> starting slime between each line...

Maybe because this is the first time something like this has happened to
you! strace might be only on Linux. It is a program that lists all the
system calls a program makes. Inevitably, emacs will call fopen or
something.

And yes, its annoying, but atleast you know where the problem lies. I'm
sure it won't take more than N hours to figure out where N is less than
five billion :-)

Best of luck.

--
Sohail Somani
http://uint32t.blogspot.com
From: Andreas Davour
Sohail Somani <······@taggedtype.net> writes:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 01:11:06 +0100, Andreas Davour wrote:
>
>>> Try using slime as a different user. If it doesn't die, then you know
>>> its a problem with some config file as used by your current user. Then
>>> I would use strace to determine all the files slime is reading. Looks
>>> like you have to do some good old debugging.
>>>
>>> Hope this helped (and post your fix, if you get one!)
>>
>> It did! Thanks. Why didn't I think of running it as another user? What
>> do "strace" do? I don't seems to have a strace in the base FreeBSD
>> system.
>>
>> I guess I could always try to start with a clean .emacs, but it will
>> take forever to put back all the stuff in that file line by line
>> starting slime between each line...
>
> Maybe because this is the first time something like this has happened to
> you! strace might be only on Linux. It is a program that lists all the
> system calls a program makes. Inevitably, emacs will call fopen or
> something.

I have used similar tools before, I was a bit lazy and hoped someone
might be aware of a BSD toll and mention it.

I will investigate what kind of tracers I have. I never remember which I
have available on Solaris/Linux/BSD since they all differ in different
ways. At least I know what to look for.

> And yes, its annoying, but atleast you know where the problem lies. I'm
> sure it won't take more than N hours to figure out where N is less than
> five billion :-)

I guess so. :)

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Andreas Davour
Andreas Davour <·······@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse> writes:

And now I realized that I don't understand how on earth I'm going to get
a trace on something like a SBCL that's started within emacs. Oh well.

I tried to start with a clean .emacs and of course everything worked
like it should. I must have did something in my emacs initializing file
that slime doesn't like. How I wish I had a versioning file system for
unix... :-(

(No, versioning in emacs wont cut it, since no other tools in my system
will understand them and use them)

I guess I have a long night ahead of me.

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Andreas Davour
Andreas Davour <·······@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse> writes:

> Andreas Davour <·······@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse> writes:
>
> And now I realized that I don't understand how on earth I'm going to get
> a trace on something like a SBCL that's started within emacs. Oh well.
>
> I tried to start with a clean .emacs and of course everything worked
> like it should. I must have did something in my emacs initializing file
> that slime doesn't like. How I wish I had a versioning file system for
> unix... :-(
>
> (No, versioning in emacs wont cut it, since no other tools in my system
> will understand them and use them)
>
> I guess I have a long night ahead of me.

Shorter than I thought, since I had a well documented .emacs and some
rememberance of in what order I added things.

This bit kills slime, stay away! (slime developers might take note, and maybe
explain why)

(defun customised-lisp-keyboard()
  (local-set-key [C-tab] 'slime-fuzzy-complete-symbol)
  (local-set-key [return] 'newline-and-indent))

(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook 'customised-lisp-keyboard)

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Tobias C. Rittweiler
Andreas Davour <·······@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse> writes:

> This bit kills slime, stay away! (slime developers might take note, and maybe
> explain why)
>
> (defun customised-lisp-keyboard()
>   (local-set-key [C-tab] 'slime-fuzzy-complete-symbol)
>   (local-set-key [return] 'newline-and-indent))
>
> (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook 'customised-lisp-keyboard)

(Stuff like that should be posted to the slime-devel mailinglist which
is also available via gmane if you don't want to give up your newsreader
experience.)

It doesn't kill Slime. It's just that your `newline-and-indent'
overrides RET on the REPL due to some intrinsic obscurities in Emacs' key
translation (which have just been explained to me.)

This should be fixed in CVS once common-lisp.net works again.

In the meantime, you can just use `C-m' to send forms to your Common
Lisp implementation, or just abstain from doing the above.

  -T.

P.S.: Notice that you can (and should) do

  (setq slime-complete-symbol-function
        'slime-fuzzy-complete-symbol)

to achieve making fuzzy-completion the default completion style.
From: Andreas Davour
"Tobias C. Rittweiler" <···@freebits.de.invalid> writes:

> Andreas Davour <·······@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse> writes:
>
>> This bit kills slime, stay away! (slime developers might take note, and maybe
>> explain why)
>>
>> (defun customised-lisp-keyboard()
>>   (local-set-key [C-tab] 'slime-fuzzy-complete-symbol)
>>   (local-set-key [return] 'newline-and-indent))
>>
>> (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook 'customised-lisp-keyboard)
>
> (Stuff like that should be posted to the slime-devel mailinglist which
> is also available via gmane if you don't want to give up your newsreader
> experience.)
>
> It doesn't kill Slime. It's just that your `newline-and-indent'
> overrides RET on the REPL due to some intrinsic obscurities in Emacs' key
> translation (which have just been explained to me.)
>
> This should be fixed in CVS once common-lisp.net works again.
>
> In the meantime, you can just use `C-m' to send forms to your Common
> Lisp implementation, or just abstain from doing the above.

Thanks. I had some idea of trying to hunt down the slime-devel list, yes.

> P.S.: Notice that you can (and should) do
>
>   (setq slime-complete-symbol-function
>         'slime-fuzzy-complete-symbol)
>
> to achieve making fuzzy-completion the default completion style.

Didn't I used to have sucha SETQ in my .emacs? Thanks for the reminder,
it might have gotten trashed.

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Rob Warnock
| > What do "strace" do? I don't seems to have a strace in the base
| > FreeBSD system.
| strace might be only on Linux. It is a program that lists all the
| system calls a program makes.
+---------------

FreeBSD has "truss(1)" rather than "strace(1)". The man page says it
"was modeled after similar commands available for System V Release 4
and SunOS." Compare with the man page for Linux "strace", which says:

    The original strace was written by Paul Kranenburg for SunOS
    and was inspired by its trace utility. ... In 1993, Rick Sladkey
    merged strace 2.5 for SunOS and the second release of strace
    for Linux, added many of the features of truss(1) from SVR4,
    and produced an strace that worked on both platforms. ...
    In 1995 he ported strace to Irix...

[Note that SGI's Irix already had a native "truss/strace" equivalent,
"par(1)". See <http://faqs.org/faqs/sgi/faq/apps/section-19.html>.]

Anyway, they all do the same very useful thing -- trace system
calls and/or signals. Try "truss /bin/echo hello" and you'll be
stunned at how much goes on for such a trivial command!  ;-}

-Rob

p.s.
Truss/strace can be run on a program that's already running by
specifying a PID instead of a command to run, which is convenient
when you don't have easy control of what started the program being
traced.

p.p.s.
FreeBSD also has "ktrace(1)", which traces one or more processes
from the kernel's point of view, recording a slightly different set
of events -- "system calls, namei translations, signal processing,
and I/O". "Ktrace(1)" can also be told to trace current and/or future
children of a process, or even all processes in a process group.
This can be useful when tracing server processes. However, note
that "ktrace(1)" output is logged to a file, *not* printed to the
terminal, and that "The trace file is not human readable; use kdump(1)
to decode it."

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Andreas Davour
····@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) writes:

> Sohail Somani  <······@taggedtype.net> wrote:
> +---------------
> | > What do "strace" do? I don't seems to have a strace in the base
> | > FreeBSD system.
> | strace might be only on Linux. It is a program that lists all the
> | system calls a program makes.
> +---------------
>
> FreeBSD has "truss(1)" rather than "strace(1)". The man page says it
> "was modeled after similar commands available for System V Release 4
> and SunOS." Compare with the man page for Linux "strace", which says:
>
>     The original strace was written by Paul Kranenburg for SunOS
>     and was inspired by its trace utility. ... In 1993, Rick Sladkey
>     merged strace 2.5 for SunOS and the second release of strace
>     for Linux, added many of the features of truss(1) from SVR4,
>     and produced an strace that worked on both platforms. ...
>     In 1995 he ported strace to Irix...
>
> [Note that SGI's Irix already had a native "truss/strace" equivalent,
> "par(1)". See <http://faqs.org/faqs/sgi/faq/apps/section-19.html>.]
>
> Anyway, they all do the same very useful thing -- trace system
> calls and/or signals. Try "truss /bin/echo hello" and you'll be
> stunned at how much goes on for such a trivial command!  ;-}

Thanks. I have usually stumbled in the dark about these tools. I have
used them when available and never really explored their
relatives. Thanks for the summary!

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Jason
wrote:
> I was abit annoyed that since my computer had crashed slime had failed
> to write it's history file which was corrupt. I figured it would get
> rebuilt if I just removed it, and did so.
>
> No my slime environment don't work at all. If I type "3" at the slime
> REPL I get 3 back and if I type "FOO" I get an error since the symbol is
> undefined. Fine.
>
> Now, if I type anything more complex, like (+ 2 2) or (DEFUN FOO (X) (+
> x FOO)) it hangs and nothing happens.
>
> I checked what "top" reported and the process status for sbcl was
> "ucond" whatever that means.
>
> Since this means I can't continue hacking on my lispcode I'd appreciate
> if someone could give me a hint on how to get it working again. I have
> reinstalled slime and emacs and it didn't help.
>
> As far as I know I only removed the .slime-history.eld file but it seems
> like an odd reason for such a problem, no?
>
> /andreas
>
> --
> A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

You can also try removing the entire .slime directory.
From: Andreas Davour
Jason <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 18, 3:14 pm, Andreas Davour <·······@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse>
> wrote:
>> I was abit annoyed that since my computer had crashed slime had failed
>> to write it's history file which was corrupt. I figured it would get
>> rebuilt if I just removed it, and did so.
>>
>> No my slime environment don't work at all. If I type "3" at the slime
>> REPL I get 3 back and if I type "FOO" I get an error since the symbol is
>> undefined. Fine.
>>
>> Now, if I type anything more complex, like (+ 2 2) or (DEFUN FOO (X) (+
>> x FOO)) it hangs and nothing happens.
>>
>> I checked what "top" reported and the process status for sbcl was
>> "ucond" whatever that means.
>>
>> Since this means I can't continue hacking on my lispcode I'd appreciate
>> if someone could give me a hint on how to get it working again. I have
>> reinstalled slime and emacs and it didn't help.
>>
>> As far as I know I only removed the .slime-history.eld file but it seems
>> like an odd reason for such a problem, no?
>
> You can also try removing the entire .slime directory.

I tried this as well, after your first suggestion, and it didn't help
much either. Now I'm beginning to get scared! What have happened?

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?