From: Dan Bensen
Subject: Loading cl-ppcre
I want to load cl-ppcre without recompiling everything each time.
But all I see in README is (load "/path/to/cl-ppcre/load.lisp").
How do you just load the library without reinstalling it?

--
Dan
www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

From: Maciej Katafiasz
Subject: Re: Loading cl-ppcre
Den Sat, 10 Nov 2007 13:49:09 -0600 skrev Dan Bensen:

> I want to load cl-ppcre without recompiling everything each time. But
> all I see in README is (load "/path/to/cl-ppcre/load.lisp"). How do you
> just load the library without reinstalling it?

(require 'asdf)
(asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre)

Cheers,
Maciej
From: Dan Bensen
Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
>> I want to load cl-ppcre without recompiling everything each time. But
>> all I see in README is (load "/path/to/cl-ppcre/load.lisp"). How do you
>> just load the library without reinstalling it?
>
> (require 'asdf)
> (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre)

Thanks.  Is that the only way?  Just wondering.

--
Dan
www.prairienet.org/~dsb/
From: Zach Beane
Dan Bensen <··········@cyberspace.net> writes:

> Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
>>> I want to load cl-ppcre without recompiling everything each time. But
>>> all I see in README is (load "/path/to/cl-ppcre/load.lisp"). How do you
>>> just load the library without reinstalling it?
>>
>> (require 'asdf)
>> (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre)
>
> Thanks.  Is that the only way?  Just wondering.

You typically make a system file for your software that specifies
cl-ppcre as a dependency. Then when ASDF is told to load your system,
cl-ppcre will be compiled (if necessary) and loaded automatically.

Zach
From: Maciej Katafiasz
Den Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:04:50 -0600 skrev Dan Bensen:

>> (require 'asdf)
>> (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre)
>
> Thanks.  Is that the only way?  Just wondering.

No, but the most practical. It takes care of creating, managing and

Maciej
From: Patrice Lespagnol
On 10 nov, 19:49, Dan Bensen <··········@cyberspace.net> wrote:
> I want to load cl-ppcre without recompiling everything each time.
> But all I see in README is (load "/path/to/cl-ppcre/load.lisp").
> How do you just load the library without reinstalling it?
>
> --
> Dan48www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

An esay way is to dump a lisp image with cl-ppcre compiled in. See
your CL implementation manual for that.
From: Edi Weitz
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 13:49:09 -0600, Dan Bensen <··········@cyberspace.net> wrote:

> I want to load cl-ppcre without recompiling everything each time.
> But all I see in README is (load "/path/to/cl-ppcre/load.lisp").

Really, that's all you see?  Strange.  Last time I checked the README
file listed four different ways of loading/installing the library.
Also, on which system does loading "load.lisp" recompile everything
each time?

Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Dan Bensen

Edi Weitz wrote:
> Really, that's all you see?  Strange.  Last time I checked the README
> file listed four different ways of loading/installing the library.

Sorry, I mean that's all I see in the section (1.1) that doesn't involve
defsystem, asdf, or LispWorks.   It doesn't distinguish between
installing and loading.

> Also, on which system does loading "load.lisp" recompile everything
> each time?
Wow, that's strange.  I restarted sbcl and loaded cl-ppcre, and it
didn't compile this time.  But I don't remember downloading a new copy
of cl-ppcre since I last used it.  I thought I was just reloading the
installation that I had compiled earlier.  It's been several months since
I used it though, so maybe I downloaded again after the last time I used it.
Thanks for answering, Edi.  Likewise for the other people who posted.

--
Dan
www.prairienet.org/~dsb/
From: Alex Mizrahi
 ??>> Also, on which system does loading "load.lisp" recompile everything
 ??>> each time?
 DB> Wow, that's strange.  I restarted sbcl and loaded cl-ppcre, and it
 DB> didn't compile this time.

it uses file-write-date to determine if it needs to be compiled or not, as
most auto-building software out there.
if it was compiling more than once on your system, that means that time is
(was) somehow broken on your [file]system
From: Dan Bensen
Alex Mizrahi wrote:
>  ??>> Also, on which system does loading "load.lisp" recompile everything
>  ??>> each time?
>  DB> Wow, that's strange.  I restarted sbcl and loaded cl-ppcre, and it
>  DB> didn't compile this time.
>
> it uses file-write-date to determine if it needs to be compiled or not, as
> most auto-building software out there.
> if it was compiling more than once on your system, that means that time is
> (was) somehow broken on your [file]system

Interesting.  Come to think of it, I copied the entire directory a few months
ago when I moved all my downloaded libraries.  Maybe that wasn't such a good
idea.  The fasl files would have been in there, but they would then have the
same timestamp as the source.

--
Dan
www.prairienet.org/~dsb/