From: Jon Harrop
Subject: Ubuntu popularity contest
You can plot the growth in popularity of different Ubuntu packages here:

  http://people.debian.org/~igloo/popcon-graphs/index.php

For example, the popularity of clisp and sbcl have risen sharply over the
past two years but cmucl has not and gcl even declined in 2005:

http://people.debian.org/~igloo/popcon-graphs/index.php?packages=clisp%2Csbcl%2Cgcl%2Ccmucl&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

The total number of installed Lisp compilers on Ubuntu systems running the
popularity contest package seems to be around 1,600.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u

From: Alex Mizrahi
Subject: Re: Ubuntu popularity contest
 JH> You can plot the growth in popularity of different Ubuntu packages
here:

 JH>   http://people.debian.org/~igloo/popcon-graphs/index.php

 JH> For example, the popularity of clisp and sbcl have risen sharply over
 JH> the past two years but cmucl has not and gcl even declined in 2005:

if we would like to interpret this numbers not for comparison between
different lisp implementations (or similar packages), it's pretty hard to do
this because:

absolute number increases as more people are getting Ubuntu
relative number decreases as more non-programmers are getting Ubuntu

so we need to normalize by a count of programmers using ubuntu, if we'd like
to see non-biased time sequence.
unfortunately there's no such button there.. i'd say being a programmer
highly correlates with using one of version system.

we see popularity of CVS decreased from 80% to 30% -- i think both
programmer percentage decreased and CVS is actually outdated.
SVN has more complex line of popularity with peak of 40%, now it seems to be
about 25%.

probably we can conclude that number of programmers among Ubuntu users
decreased aprox 2.5 times.
SBCL's popularity in percents decreased from 2.4% to 1%, so it looks like
SBCL popularity among programmers didn't change much.

From: Jon Harrop
Alex Mizrahi wrote:
> absolute number increases as more people are getting Ubuntu
> relative number decreases as more non-programmers are getting Ubuntu

Slight cockup on my part: the page I cited is Debian's results. I can't find
an equivalent for Ubuntu.

> so we need to normalize by a count of programmers using ubuntu, if we'd
> like to see non-biased time sequence.

If you want market share rather than absolute number of users, yes. I think
the number of users is quite interesting.

According to the current stats for Ubuntu:

  http://popcon.ubuntu.com/

clisp: 1183
sbcl:   853
gcl:    326
cmucl:  322

I was quite surprised to see that clisp is so popular. I thought everyone
was using SBCL...

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u