From: Stéphane Conversy
Subject: garnet: still no success
After having tried sbcl, then clisp with various combination of
garnet, garnetlisp, clx, mit-clx, new-clx and telent-clx, I still
can't run garnet with no flaws.

My last attempt is to use clisp 2.41, telent-clx with a patch to make
it work with clisp d/l from a darcs site, and garnetlisp from cvs.

As I'm still a lisp newbie, I have difficulties right now to make
telent-clx demos work with clisp.
When I launch clisp I get this:

afric:~/src-ext/clx-darcs/clx conversy$ clisp -L english -K full -x
'(load "demo/hello")'
hello.lisp ...
*** - SYSTEM::%FIND-PACKAGE: There is no package with name "XLIB"

Bye.

I guess this is due to the fact that clisp doesn't recognize it as a
module. What can I do ?
I can't launch "build-clx" either. Do I really need to compile it ?

thanks,

stephane

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: garnet: still no success
On May 31, 2:34 pm, Stéphane Conversy <········@cena.fr> wrote:
> After having tried sbcl, then clisp with various combination of
> garnet, garnetlisp, clx, mit-clx, new-clx and telent-clx, I still
> can't run garnet with no flaws.

If you really want to run Garnet, I'd start with Fred Gilham's old
Garnet distribution:
ftp://ftp.csl.sri.com/pub/users/gilham/garnet/

And CMUCL, possibly an older release like 18c or 18d.  Use Hemlock as
your development environment.

One of the newer distributions of Garnet may work with a newer lisp,
but nothing in Garnet has changed in years, except for the efforts of
a few people to try to get it running in recent lisps.  For a newbie,
I'd say avoid the hassle and go with the fully retro-1990's
environment if that's what you want to check out.
From: Thomas F. Burdick

From: Raymond Toy

    St�phane> After having tried sbcl, then clisp with various combination of
    St�phane> garnet, garnetlisp, clx, mit-clx, new-clx and telent-clx, I still
    St�phane> can't run garnet with no flaws.

I have run garnet, both from sourceforge and Fred Gilham's version,
with cmucl within the last year or so.  It worked for the most part,
but some of the demos were a little off.  Somethings weren't drawn
correctly or the colors were off or something.  There wasn't any real
issue for me.  There was some kind of issue when using ssh to tunnel
an X connection.  Can't remember exactly, but it's in garnet's bug
list.

Ray
From: Thomas F. Burdick

From: Rob Warnock
Stephane Conversy  <········@cena.fr> wrote:
+---------------
| As I'm still a lisp newbie, I have difficulties right now to make
| telent-clx demos work with clisp.
| When I launch clisp I get this:
|
| afric:~/src-ext/clx-darcs/clx conversy$ clisp -L english -K full -x
| '(load "demo/hello")'
| hello.lisp ...
| *** - SYSTEM::%FIND-PACKAGE: There is no package with name "XLIB"
+---------------

The last time I did any GUI stuff with CLISP, you had to make a
choice at CLISP build time whether to include XLIB in the CLISP
image. From the above error, it sounds like you picked up a version
of CLISP that *wasn't* compiled with XLIB, which isn't going to work.
What you you see when when you type (LIST-ALL-PACKAGES) into the REPL?

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>