From: Fab
Subject: A tiny Lisp written in Lisp
   Hi !

  It exists a page that defines a tiny Lisp in Lisp very tersely.

 I'm pretty sure to have seen it on the list about one year ago.

However I'm not able to find it again.

I wonder if Pascal Bourguignon exhibited this program, not absolutely
sure to remember.

  Please have you got any idea about this small program ?

 Thanks.

Fabrice

From: Vebjorn Ljosa
Subject: Re: A tiny Lisp written in Lisp
On May 28, 4:14 am, Fab <···············@free.fr> wrote:

>   It exists a page that defines a tiny Lisp in Lisp very tersely.
>
>  I'm pretty sure to have seen it on the list about one year ago.
>
> However I'm not able to find it again.
>
> I wonder if Pascal Bourguignon exhibited this program, not absolutely
> sure to remember.
>
>   Please have you got any idea about this small program ?

Paul Graham translated John McCarthy's metacircular eval to Common
Lisp.  Somebody put it up on Cafepress, so you can get it printed on a
coffee mug if you want:

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/lisp/-/pv_design_prod/p_storeid.14330770/pNo_14330770/id_5585890/opt_/pg_/c_/fpt_

I noticed that they also sell "My next car is a cdr" bumper stickers.

Vebjorn
From: Vebjorn Ljosa
On May 28, 7:39 am, Vebjorn Ljosa <·······@ljosa.com> wrote:
> I noticed that they also sell "My next car is a cdr" bumper stickers.

"My other car is a cdr", of course.

Vebjorn
(should drink coffee before posting)
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Fab <···············@free.fr> writes:

>    Hi !
>
>   It exists a page that defines a tiny Lisp in Lisp very tersely.
>
>  I'm pretty sure to have seen it on the list about one year ago.
>
> However I'm not able to find it again.
>
> I wonder if Pascal Bourguignon exhibited this program, not absolutely
> sure to remember.
>
>   Please have you got any idea about this small program ?

There is an implementation of the LISP defined in AIM-8 at:

http://www.informatimago.com/develop/lisp/small-cl-pgms/aim-8/

but there are a lot of small lisp implemented in lisp in textbooks,
such as SICP (see chapter 4)
http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

and of course in LiSP "Lisp In Small Pieces"
http://www.lmet.fr/fiche.cgi?_ISBN=9782916466033&_WORDS=lisp#couverture

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.
From: Fab
  Thank you very much for your swift and efficient answer !

  There is not the page I thought to but doesn't matter : you gave me
a lot of equivalent stuff to study in your links.

  Kind regards.

Fabrice
From: Jürgen Böhm
Fab wrote:
>    Hi !
>
>   It exists a page that defines a tiny Lisp in Lisp very tersely.
>
>  I'm pretty sure to have seen it on the list about one year ago.
>
> However I'm not able to find it again.
>
> I wonder if Pascal Bourguignon exhibited this program, not absolutely
> sure to remember.
>
>   Please have you got any idea about this small program ?
>
>  Thanks.
>
> Fabrice

Hi,

   it is probably not exactly the Lisp-interpreter in Lisp you are
looking for, as there are so many, but it is my attempt in this domain
(not quite fulfilling the request of being terse):

http://www.aviduratas.de/lisp/meval.html

  You find it under the heading "Some sources" and a more expanded
version through the link given directly below there (this expanded
version contains also a rudimentary 'read' function in Lisp).

  (In case you are interested in such a thing too: On the the same page,
further above, there is a presentation of a small compiler + runtime
system + CPU simulator for a subset of Lisp).

Greetings

J�rgen

--
J�rgen B�hm                                            www.aviduratas.de
"At a time when so many scholars in the world are calculating, is it not
From: Drew Crampsie
On Mon, 28 May 2007 04:14:19 -0700, Fab wrote:

> Hi !
>
>   It exists a page that defines a tiny Lisp in Lisp very tersely.
>
>  I'm pretty sure to have seen it on the list about one year ago.

You may be thinking of Graham's "Roots of Lisp" code[1], in which he
defines McCarthy's original LISP in CL using only quote, atom, eq, cons,
car, cdr, cond.

Along those lines, and not all that much larger, are Norvig's scheme
interpreters from PAIP, which are also available online[2]. The Lambda
Papers[3] are the ultimate source of metacircular enlightenment IMO, and
are excellent reading.

Finally, though not at all tiny, Sacla[4] is a Common Lisp in Common Lisp.
Neato.

hth,

drewc

[1] http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/paulgraham/jmc.lisp

[2] http://norvig.com/paip/README.html

[3] http://library.readscheme.org/page1.html

[4] http://homepage1.nifty.com/bmonkey/lisp/sacla/index-en.html

> However I'm not able to find it again.
>
> I wonder if Pascal Bourguignon exhibited this program, not absolutely
> sure to remember.
>
>   Please have you got any idea about this small program ?
>
>  Thanks.
>
> Fabrice

You may also be interested in "Write Yourself a Scheme in 48 Hours: a
Haskell tutorial":

http://halogen.note.amherst.edu/~jdtang/scheme_in_48/tutorial/overview.html

Maybe someone will write "Write Yourself a Haskell in 48 Years: a Lisp
tutorial" but it sounds like handling infix syntax from Lisp might be a
real sticking point. ;-)

The F#.NET Journal
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/fsharp_journal/?usenet
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <························@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
 Jon Harrop <···@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:

> You may also be interested in "Write Yourself a Scheme in 48 Hours: a
> Haskell tutorial":
>
> http://halogen.note.amherst.edu/~jdtang/scheme_in_48/tutorial/overview.html
>
> Maybe someone will write "Write Yourself a Haskell in 48 Years: a Lisp
> tutorial" but it sounds like handling infix syntax from Lisp might be a
> real sticking point. ;-)

          \|||/
          (o o)
 |~~~~ooO~~(_)~~~~~~~|
 | Please            |
 | don't feed the    |
 | TROLL!            |
 '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ooo~~'
         |__|__|
          || ||
         ooO Ooo
From: Pascal Costanza
Jon Harrop wrote:
> You may also be interested in "Write Yourself a Scheme in 48 Hours: a
> Haskell tutorial":
>
> http://halogen.note.amherst.edu/~jdtang/scheme_in_48/tutorial/overview.html
>
> Maybe someone will write "Write Yourself a Haskell in 48 Years: a Lisp
> tutorial" but it sounds like handling infix syntax from Lisp might be a
> real sticking point. ;-)

http://foldoc.org/foldoc.cgi?Yale+Haskell

Pascal

--