From: Jeff Rollin
Subject: Linux Lisp GUI's?
What are the most popular GUI bindings for Linux amongst users on this list?

From: Peter Herth
Subject: Re: Linux Lisp GUI's?
Jeff Rollin wrote:
> What are the most popular GUI bindings for Linux amongst users on this list?

Ltk of course!

SCNR :)

Peter

--
Ltk, the easy lisp gui http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/
From: Frank Buss
Jeff Rollin wrote:

> What are the most popular GUI bindings for Linux amongst users on this list?

The most popular may be Ltk, which is a nice GUI framework for building
standard GUI applications, e.g. accounting systems.

If you want to program some fast 2D Jump'n Run game,
http://www.lispbuilder.org is better. It has a SDL wrapper, sound support
and some other nice libraries, too.

Finally cl-opengl is the library to use for 3D GUI applications.

If you don't mind to pay for commercial support, LispWorks CAPI is very
nice, too. And there is CLIM, but it needs getting used to, because it is
very different from the frameworks which you may know from other languages,
like Tcl/Tk in Ltk or SDL.

--
Frank Buss, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Jeff Rollin
In the last episode, on Sunday 27 May 2007 09:02, Frank Buss wrote:

> Jeff Rollin wrote:
>
>> What are the most popular GUI bindings for Linux amongst users on this
>> list?
>
> The most popular may be Ltk, which is a nice GUI framework for building
> standard GUI applications, e.g. accounting systems.

Thanks. I had understood, though, that development was stalled with ltk
running on SBCL 0.8 or something? (They just released 1.0.6 and I'm running
1.0.4.) Or am I thinking of some other framework?

[EDIT - Yes, I must have been.]

> If you want to program some fast 2D Jump'n Run game,
> http://www.lispbuilder.org is better. It has a SDL wrapper, sound support
> and some other nice libraries, too.
>
> Finally cl-opengl is the library to use for 3D GUI applications.
>
> If you don't mind to pay for commercial support, LispWorks CAPI is very
> nice, too. And there is CLIM, but it needs getting used to, because it is
> very different from the frameworks which you may know from other
> languages, like Tcl/Tk in Ltk or SDL.

Thanks, I'll check those out. Since LISP is my first programming language,
it might be interesting to see how someone coming at GUI frameworks first
time takes to CLIM.

I'm assuming, though, that it wouldn't be possible to develop open-source
applications with LispWorks CAPI?

TIA

Jeff
From: Jeff Rollin
In the last episode, on Sunday 27 May 2007 11:00, Jeff Rollin wrote:

> In the last episode, on Sunday 27 May 2007 09:02, Frank Buss wrote:
>  And there is CLIM, but it needs getting used to, because it is
>> very different from the frameworks which you may know from other
>> languages, like Tcl/Tk in Ltk or SDL.
>>

> Thanks, I'll check those out. Since LISP is my first programming language,
> it might be interesting to see how someone coming at GUI frameworks first
> time takes to CLIM.

Ah. Having looked at some screenshots, I now see what you mean. I was
thinking that you meant programming it might be quite different from other
GUI's (in which case, as I said, it might not matter as I'm a programming
noob anyway), but yes, the layout of stuff on-screen is quite different
from Tcl and KDE/GNOME.

Probably not suitable for the "naive user", though I could probably cope.

Jeff
From: Frank Buss
Jeff Rollin wrote:

>> Thanks, I'll check those out. Since LISP is my first programming language,
>> it might be interesting to see how someone coming at GUI frameworks first
>> time takes to CLIM.
>>

> Ah. Having looked at some screenshots, I now see what you mean. I was
> thinking that you meant programming it might be quite different from other
> GUI's (in which case, as I said, it might not matter as I'm a programming
> noob anyway), but yes, the layout of stuff on-screen is quite different
> from Tcl and KDE/GNOME.

Both is different: Programming and look-and-feel. You can tweak it a bit to
implement games, like this ones:

http://www.frank-buss.de/lisp/clim.html

but there are more powerful concepts in CLIM, e.g. that you can record all
painting operations in a stream and playback it and the interaction with
presentation and data, but for me it looks too complicated and maybe not a
good start for a Lisp noob. I think Ltk is much better, if you want to
write native looking GUI applications without much thinking about
complicated framework concepts.

--
Frank Buss, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Andreas Davour
Jeff Rollin <··············@gmail.com> writes:

> In the last episode, on Sunday 27 May 2007 11:00, Jeff Rollin wrote:
>
>> In the last episode, on Sunday 27 May 2007 09:02, Frank Buss wrote:
>>  And there is CLIM, but it needs getting used to, because it is
>>> very different from the frameworks which you may know from other
>>> languages, like Tcl/Tk in Ltk or SDL.
>>>

>> Thanks, I'll check those out. Since LISP is my first programming language,
>> it might be interesting to see how someone coming at GUI frameworks first
>> time takes to CLIM.
>>

> Ah. Having looked at some screenshots, I now see what you mean. I was
> thinking that you meant programming it might be quite different from other
> GUI's (in which case, as I said, it might not matter as I'm a programming
> noob anyway), but yes, the layout of stuff on-screen is quite different
> from Tcl and KDE/GNOME.
>
> Probably not suitable for the "naive user", though I could probably cope.

Try to find a CLIM program to try, I think you'll find it very
entertaining and illuminating. (McCLIM is a good start)

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Edi Weitz
On Sun, 27 May 2007 11:00:53 +0100, Jeff Rollin <··············@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm assuming, though, that it wouldn't be possible to develop
> open-source applications with LispWorks CAPI?

Sure you can develop open source applications with CAPI.  See for
example here:

  http://weitz.de/starter-pack/

Your users will need the LispWorks compiler to build the app, though.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Jeff Rollin
In the last episode, on Sunday 27 May 2007 11:06, Edi Weitz wrote:

> On Sun, 27 May 2007 11:00:53 +0100, Jeff Rollin <··············@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm assuming, though, that it wouldn't be possible to develop
>> open-source applications with LispWorks CAPI?
>
> Sure you can develop open source applications with CAPI.  See for
> example here:
>
>   http://weitz.de/starter-pack/
>
> Your users will need the LispWorks compiler to build the app, though.
>
> Cheers,
> Edi.

Ok! Thanks ;-)

Jeff
From: Peter Herth
Jeff Rollin wrote:
> In the last episode, on Sunday 27 May 2007 09:02, Frank Buss wrote:
>

>>Jeff Rollin wrote:
>>

>>>What are the most popular GUI bindings for Linux amongst users on this
>>>list?
>>
>>The most popular may be Ltk, which is a nice GUI framework for building
>>standard GUI applications, e.g. accounting systems.
>

> Thanks. I had understood, though, that development was stalled with ltk
> running on SBCL 0.8 or something? (They just released 1.0.6 and I'm running
> 1.0.4.) Or am I thinking of some other framework?
>
> [EDIT - Yes, I must have been.]

As LTk runs under most Lisp implementations, it is not coupled to
certain releases. And its very alive :)

Peter

--
Ltk, the easy lisp gui http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/