From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Practical Common Lisp due for 3rd printing--send errata now
I've just heard from Apress that they're going to do a 3rd printing of
Practical Common Lisp. I have until the 28th of May to get them an
updated errata list. So if you've been meaning to send me an email
about any typos or other small mistakes, now's the time to send it. If
can put "PCL errata" in the subject line of any such emails and, if
you have a dead-tree version of the book, include the page number
that'd be a big help.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel            :  ·····@gigamonkeys.com
Gigamonkeys Consulting  :  http://www.gigamonkeys.com/

From: Ken Tilton
Peter Seibel wrote:
> I've just heard from Apress that they're going to do a 3rd printing of
> Practical Common Lisp. I have until the 28th of May to get them an
> updated errata list.

F*ck that, I am pitching Lispnik Idol to Fox, I need a third judge. You in?

kt

ps. congrats.
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 24 May 2007 16:04:23 -0400, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:

> F*ck that, I am pitching Lispnik Idol to Fox, I need a third judge.

Who's number two?

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Ken Tilton
Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2007 16:04:23 -0400, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>F*ck that, I am pitching Lispnik Idol to Fox, I need a third judge.
>

> Who's number two?

I am holding a spot open for Anna Kournikova, haven't heard back.

kt
From: ·················@gmail.com
On May 24, 11:47 pm, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
> Edi Weitz wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 May 2007 16:04:23 -0400, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> >>F*ck that, I am pitching Lispnik Idol to Fox, I need a third judge.
>
> > Who's number two?
>
> I am holding a spot open for Anna Kournikova, haven't heard back.
>
> kt

Last time we heard, she was busy implementing  light weight processes
in OpenMCL. I guess she's stuck with SMP support code.
From: Dave Benjamin
·················@gmail.com wrote:
> On May 24, 11:47 pm, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>> Edi Weitz wrote:
>>> Who's number two?
>> I am holding a spot open for Anna Kournikova, haven't heard back.
>>
>> kt
>
> Last time we heard, she was busy implementing  light weight processes
> in OpenMCL. I guess she's stuck with SMP support code.

You guys have some weird fantasies.
From: ···············@yahoo.com
> Who's number two?

Eliza.

Is it because does paula abdul's web site have to use ajax that you
came to see me?
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 24 May 2007 17:27:38 GMT, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:

> I've just heard from Apress that they're going to do a 3rd printing
> of Practical Common Lisp.

Great!  Congratulations.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Pascal Costanza
Peter Seibel wrote:
> I've just heard from Apress that they're going to do a 3rd printing of
> Practical Common Lisp. I have until the 28th of May to get them an
> updated errata list. So if you've been meaning to send me an email
> about any typos or other small mistakes, now's the time to send it. If
> can put "PCL errata" in the subject line of any such emails and, if
> you have a dead-tree version of the book, include the page number
> that'd be a big help.

Congratulations from here as well.

3rd printing - what does this mean in absolute numbers?

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Peter Seibel
Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>> I've just heard from Apress that they're going to do a 3rd printing of
>> Practical Common Lisp. I have until the 28th of May to get them an
>> updated errata list. So if you've been meaning to send me an email
>> about any typos or other small mistakes, now's the time to send it. If
>> can put "PCL errata" in the subject line of any such emails and, if
>> you have a dead-tree version of the book, include the page number
>> that'd be a big help.
>
> Congratulations from here as well.
>
> 3rd printing - what does this mean in absolute numbers?

I'm pretty sure the first printing was 5,000 and the 2nd 3,000. I
think--but could be wrong--that a printing will always be at least
2,000. So hopefully in a few more quarters I'll be having my 10k
copies sold party. ;-)

-Peter

From: Cor Gest
> Congratulations from here as well.
>
> 3rd printing - what does this mean in absolute numbers?

I have no clue about absolute numbers , but I know that _if_ a publisher does
contemplates a re-print they really do have enough pre-orders to cover cost.
It also would not suprise me that a lot of sales are the result of the
availability of the on-line version, having the dead-tree version next to
the keyboard is a lot more convenient when one is batling the PCL-learning-stuff.

Cor

--
	 (defvar MyComputer '((OS . "GNU/Emacs") (IPL . "GNU/Linux")))
The biggest problem LISP has, is that it does not appeal to dumb people
From: Robert Uhl
Good show man!  I've been distributing as many copies as I can.

Of course you know, this means you need to right a sequel: Son of
Practical Common Lisp...

It is poor social hygiene to put in place systems that could facilitate
a police state.                                        --Bruce Schneier
From: Jeff Rollin
In the last episode, on Friday 25 May 2007 16:46, Robert Uhl wrote:

> Good show man!  I've been distributing as many copies as I can.
>
> Of course you know, this means you need to right a sequel: Son of
> Practical Common Lisp...

Or Common Lisp 2: Judgement Day.

Or Common Lisp 2: The Wrath of Lisp
From: C Y
On May 25, 7:20 pm, Jeff Rollin <··············@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the last episode, on Friday 25 May 2007 16:46, Robert Uhl wrote:
>
> > Good show man!  I've been distributing as many copies as I can.
>
> > Of course you know, this means you need to right a sequel: Son of
> > Practical Common Lisp...
>
> Or Common Lisp 2: Judgement Day.
>
> Or Common Lisp 2: The Wrath of Lisp

It would have to be:

Common Lisp 2:  The Recursion
From: Jeff Rollin
In the last episode, on Saturday 26 May 2007 02:36, C Y wrote:

> On May 25, 7:20 pm, Jeff Rollin <··············@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In the last episode, on Friday 25 May 2007 16:46, Robert Uhl wrote:
>>
>> > Good show man!  I've been distributing as many copies as I can.
>>
>> > Of course you know, this means you need to right a sequel: Son of
>> > Practical Common Lisp...
>>
>> Or Common Lisp 2: Judgement Day.
>>
>> Or Common Lisp 2: The Wrath of Lisp
>
> It would have to be:
>
> Common Lisp 2:  The Recursion

Indeed.
From: Larry Clapp
On 2007-05-26, C Y <···········@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 25, 7:20 pm, Jeff Rollin <··············@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In the last episode, on Friday 25 May 2007 16:46, Robert Uhl wrote:
>>
>> > Good show man!  I've been distributing as many copies as I can.
>>
>> > Of course you know, this means you need to right a sequel: Son of
>> > Practical Common Lisp...
>>
>> Or Common Lisp 2: Judgement Day.
>>
>> Or Common Lisp 2: The Wrath of Lisp
>
> It would have to be:
>
> Common Lisp 2:  The Recursion

Common Lisp 2: INVOKE-RESTART
From: fireblade
On May 26, 4:30 pm, Larry Clapp <····@theclapp.org> wrote:
> On 2007-05-26, C Y <···········@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Or Common Lisp 2: Judgement Day.
>
> >> Or Common Lisp 2: The Wrath of Lisp
>
> > It would have to be:
>
> > Common Lisp 2:  The Recursion
>
> Common Lisp 2: INVOKE-RESTART

The Common Lisp code
From: Matthew Swank
On Tue, 29 May 2007 04:00:46 -0700, fireblade wrote:

> On May 26, 4:30 pm, Larry Clapp <····@theclapp.org> wrote:

>> > It would have to be:
>>
>> > Common Lisp 2:  The Recursion
>>
>> Common Lisp 2: INVOKE-RESTART
>
> The Common Lisp code

Practical Common Lisp II: Macros of Fire.

--
"You do not really understand something unless you
 can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein.
From: Cor Gest
Some entity, AKA Matthew Swank <································@c.net>,
wrote this mindboggling stuff:
(selectively-snipped-or-not-p)

>>> Common Lisp 2: INVOKE-RESTART

> Practical Common Lisp II: Macros of Fire.

Practical Common Lisp II: The utmost defun possible of ways

Cor

From: Rob St. Amant
Cor Gest <···@clsnet.nl> writes:

> Some entity, AKA Matthew Swank <································@c.net>,
> wrote this mindboggling stuff:
> (selectively-snipped-or-not-p)

>> Practical Common Lisp II: Macros of Fire.
>
> Practical Common Lisp II: The utmost defun possible of ways

(incf (version *PCL*))
From: ········@gmail.com
On May 29, 8:48 pm, ·······@ncsu.edu (Rob St. Amant) wrote:
> Cor Gest <····@clsnet.nl> writes:
> > Some entity, AKA Matthew Swank <································@c.net>,
> > wrote this mindboggling stuff:
> > (selectively-snipped-or-not-p)

> >> Practical Common Lisp II: Macros of Fire.
>
> > Practical Common Lisp II: The utmost defun possible of ways
>
> (incf (version *PCL*))

PCL, even Oreilly is interested

marc
From: euluis
On May 24, 6:27 pm, Peter Seibel <····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:
> I've just heard from Apress that they're going to do a 3rd printing of
> Practical Common Lisp. I have until the 28th of May to get them an
> updated errata list. So if you've been meaning to send me an email
> about any typos or other small mistakes, now's the time to send it. If
> can put "PCL errata" in the subject line of any such emails and, if
> you have a dead-tree version of the book, include the page number
> that'd be a big help.
>
> -Peter
>
> --
> Peter Seibel            :  ····@gigamonkeys.com
> Gigamonkeys Consulting  :  http://www.gigamonkeys.com/

Congrats Peter, its a great book. Besides what I learn at work, its
my
1st guide to Common Lisp. It already gave me the opportunity to teach
about disassemble to a guy who is working in Common Lisp for around 2
years ;-)

I've been reading the online version, but, I will definitelly buy one
of
those 3rd edition copies.

Luis Sergio Oliveira
http://argonauts-life.blogspot.com
From: fireblade
On May 24, 7:27 pm, Peter Seibel <····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:
> I've just heard from Apress that they're going to do a 3rd printing of
> Practical Common Lisp. I have until the 28th of May to get them an
> updated errata list. So if you've been meaning to send me an email
> about any typos or other small mistakes, now's the time to send it. If
> can put "PCL errata" in the subject line of any such emails and, if
> you have a dead-tree version of the book, include the page number
> that'd be a big help.
>
> -Peter
>
> --
> Peter Seibel            :  ····@gigamonkeys.com
> Gigamonkeys Consulting  :  http://www.gigamonkeys.com/

Congratulations Peter . Any sign of 2nd edition?

cheers
Bobi

The best place to put all of the code is either behind the OK button
(you only have to go to one place to see what is happening) or in
stored procedures in the database (since these give optimal database
performance).
--How to Crash and Burn Your Java Project By Pete McBreen.
http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=24477&rl=1

After 2 days working with T-SQL stored procedures, I lost any
confidence in my programming skills. Now,  carrier in accounting looks
quite interesthing.
-- from my own personal experience
From: Peter Seibel
fireblade <·················@gmail.com> writes:

> On May 24, 7:27 pm, Peter Seibel <····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:
>> I've just heard from Apress that they're going to do a 3rd printing of
>> Practical Common Lisp. I have until the 28th of May to get them an
>> updated errata list. So if you've been meaning to send me an email
>> about any typos or other small mistakes, now's the time to send it. If
>> can put "PCL errata" in the subject line of any such emails and, if
>> you have a dead-tree version of the book, include the page number
>> that'd be a big help.
>>
>> -Peter
>>
>> --
>> Peter Seibel            :  ····@gigamonkeys.com
>> Gigamonkeys Consulting  :  http://www.gigamonkeys.com/
>
> Congratulations Peter . Any sign of 2nd edition?

Nope. That would require actual work.

-Peter