From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
Subject: CMUCL compile from CVS sources on HP-UX 11i: How-to?
Hi CMUCL gurus:

I have grabbed sources from CVS and downloaded CMUCL 18a binaries. So
I should be ready to go - except that I can't find a suitable setenv
script for HP-UX 11i...

What are the features to be defined before kicking off the build process?
Anybody using CMUCL on PA-RISC HP-UX 11i ?

Thx for any pointers...

Frank

From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
Frank Goenninger DG1SBG <·············@nomail.org> writes:

> Hi CMUCL gurus:
>
> I have grabbed sources from CVS and downloaded CMUCL 18a binaries. So
> I should be ready to go - except that I can't find a suitable setenv
> script for HP-UX 11i...

Digging deeper I have tried the following:

src/tools/build.sh -C hpux11 -u

using a Config script that looks like

-X-X-X-

CPPFLAGS = -Dparisc -I. \
        -I/usr/include
LINK.o = cc $(LDFLAGS) $(TARGET_ARCH)
CC = cc
NM = hpux-nm
CFLAGS = -g
ASFLAGS = -g -DNEW_FORMAT
UNDEFSYMPATTERN=-u &
ASSEM_SRC = hppa-assem.S
ARCH_SRC = hppa-arch.c
OS_SRC = hpux-os.c undefineds.c
OS_LINK_FLAGS= -Wl,-a,archive -N
OS_LIBS= -lBSD /lib/libm.a

%.o: %.S
        $(PREPROCESS.S) $< | as -o ·@

-X-X-X-

and a hppa-features.lisp file having

-X-X-X-

;; HP PA-RISC features
(pushnew :hppa *features*)          ;; cpu type
(pushnew :hpux *features*)          ;; wild guess ;-)
(pushnew :mp *features*)            ;; wild guess ;-)
(pushnew :linkage-table *features*) ;; wild guess ;-)

-X-X-X-

running the build command results in:

Error in function FIND-OR-MAKE-SYMBOL:
   COMMON-LISP does not contain a symbol CHAR

Restarts:
  0: [CONTINUE] INTERN it.
  1:            Return NIL from load of "target:code/exports".
  2: [ABORT   ] Return to Top-Level.

Debug  (type H for help)

(FIND-OR-MAKE-SYMBOL "CHAR"
                     #<The COMMON-LISP package, 0/9 internal, 0/9 external>)
Source:
; File: target:code/package.lisp

; File has been modified since compilation:
;   target:code/package.lisp
; Using form offset instead of character position.
(LEN (LENGTH VEC))
0]

... puzzled ...

Thx.

Frank
From: Raymond Toy

    Frank> Hi CMUCL gurus:
    Frank> I have grabbed sources from CVS and downloaded CMUCL 18a binaries. So
    Frank> I should be ready to go - except that I can't find a suitable setenv
    Frank> script for HP-UX 11i...

    Frank> What are the features to be defined before kicking off the build process?
    Frank> Anybody using CMUCL on PA-RISC HP-UX 11i ?

I don't think anyone has used the HP versions since 18a.

Trying to build a more recent version from 18a will be probably be
quite difficult.  And I hear HP-UX 11 is quite a bit different from
HP-UX 9, which, I think, is what the 18a binaries were built on.  Does
the 18a binary really run on HP-UX 11?

If you are interested in really porting the code, your best bet would
be to join the cmucl mailing list.

Otherwise, I would look for another lisp.  Perhaps, sbcl, clisp, gcl,
or ecl (to name a few in no particular order) might work for you.

Ray
From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
Raymond Toy <···········@ericsson.com> writes:

>     Frank> Hi CMUCL gurus:
>     Frank> I have grabbed sources from CVS and downloaded CMUCL 18a binaries. So
>     Frank> I should be ready to go - except that I can't find a suitable setenv
>     Frank> script for HP-UX 11i...
>
>     Frank> What are the features to be defined before kicking off the build process?
>     Frank> Anybody using CMUCL on PA-RISC HP-UX 11i ?
>
> I don't think anyone has used the HP versions since 18a.

I noticed that ... Still wanted to give it a try...

> Trying to build a more recent version from 18a will be probably be
> quite difficult.  And I hear HP-UX 11 is quite a bit different from
> HP-UX 9, which, I think, is what the 18a binaries were built on.  Does
> the 18a binary really run on HP-UX 11?

Yes.

> If you are interested in really porting the code, your best bet would
> be to join the cmucl mailing list.

Unfortunately I was simply looking for a working platform for an app I
developed using AllegroCL.

> Otherwise, I would look for another lisp.  Perhaps,
> sbcl,

No. Not on HP-UX 11i.

> clisp,

Requires significant work: Full compile from scratch. Will give it a try

> gcl,

No. Not on HP-UX 11i.

> or ecl

Haven't checked for HP-UX 11i support ...

>  (to name a few in no particular order) might work for you.
>
> Ray

Thanks!

Frank