From: Ken Tilton
Subject: [OT] From the Dept of Youse Guys Know Everything....
OK, so I have ascertained that a number of people have not gotten my
emails over the past coupla weeks. I have not looked to check if the
correlation is precise, but ... no, think to come of it, i cannot say
the people who did not receive emails never get emails, sometimes they
sneak thru.

Here's my question: I have been emailing from e-mail account X with the
reply-to as account Y. Is that the kinda thing that gets email blocked?

thx,kzo

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"Algebra is the metaphysics of arithmetic." - John Ray

"As long as algebra is taught in school,
there will be prayer in school." - Cokie Roberts

"Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra."
    - Fran Lebowitz

"I'm an algebra liar. I figure two good lies make a positive."
    - Tim Allen

From: ················@gmail.com
Subject: Re: From the Dept of Youse Guys Know Everything....
On May 10, 4:16 am, Ken Tilton <····@theoryyalgebra.com> wrote:
> OK, so I have ascertained that a number of people have not gotten my
> emails over the past coupla weeks. I have not looked to check if the
> correlation is precise, but ... no, think to come of it, i cannot say
> the people who did not receive emails never get emails, sometimes they
> sneak thru.
>
> Here's my question: I have been emailing from e-mail account X with the
> reply-to as account Y. Is that the kinda thing that gets email blocked?
>
> thx,kzo
>
> --http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>
> "Algebra is the metaphysics of arithmetic." - John Ray
>
> "As long as algebra is taught in school,
> there will be prayer in school." - Cokie Roberts
>
> "Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra."
>     - Fran Lebowitz
>
> "I'm an algebra liar. I figure two good lies make a positive."
>     - Tim Allen

If you mailed me ( which you don't ) you mail would be considered as
spam definately.
From: Jeff
If the from and the actual sending domain are different, that often
gets marked as spam, trapped or filtered.

From: Don Geddis

But that's not the situation that Ken mentioned.  He said:

>> On May 10, 4:16 am, Ken Tilton <····@theoryyalgebra.com> wrote:
>> > Here's my question: I have been emailing from e-mail account X with the
>> > reply-to as account Y. Is that the kinda thing that gets email blocked?

If you think that's spam, then what possible use do you think a
"Reply-To:" header has?  If it's not different from the "From:" line,
then why would you ever need such a header?  The _whole_point_ of having
that header line in email is to provide a different address.

        -- Don
Don Geddis                  http://don.geddis.org/               ···@geddis.org
In the event of a terrorist attack, always know where your kids are, and
which child you like best -- in case you can only save one.
	-- The Showbiz Show with David Spade, 12/15/2005
From: Ken Tilton
Don Geddis wrote:
> Jeff <········@gmail.com> wrote on 10 May 2007 05:2:
>
>>If the from and the actual sending domain are different, that often
>>gets marked as spam, trapped or filtered.
>

> But that's not the situation that Ken mentioned.  He said:

I think you are both right. My IR was incomplete/cocked-up, and Jeff
guessed right or saw it in my postings here. here is the full plate of
spaghetti addressing:

sending via ···········@optonline.net
specified "from:" ···@theoryyalgebra.com

hell, not even sure I had a reply-to, tho I might have. But ·@tya.com is
set up to goto ·········@gmail.com which is set up to forward to
·@oo.net, so I had no need for a diff reply-to. It might have been in
there because originally I sent from ·@oo.net with a gmail reply-to.
might not have thought to zap that when I switched to ·@tya.

and I wonder why my mail is cocked up. :)

kenzo

From: GP lisper
On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:39:29 -0700, <···@geddis.org> wrote:
> Jeff <········@gmail.com> wrote on 10 May 2007 05:2:
>> If the from and the actual sending domain are different, that often
>> gets marked as spam, trapped or filtered.
>
> But that's not the situation that Ken mentioned.  He said:

> If you think that's spam, then what possible use do you think a
> "Reply-To:" header has?  If it's not different from the "From:" line,
> then why would you ever need such a header?  The _whole_point_ of having
> that header line in email is to provide a different address.

Logic has little place in modern spam wars.  The anti-spammers are
worse than the problem itself.  Case in point here.

> Here's my question: I have been emailing from e-mail account X with
> the reply-to as account Y. Is that the kinda thing that gets email
> blocked?

No, usually not.  Not in my experience.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: [OT] From the Dept of Youse Guys Know Everything....
Ken Tilton <···@theoryyalgebra.com> writes:

> OK, so I have ascertained that a number of people have not gotten my emails
> over the past coupla weeks. I have not looked to check if the correlation is
> precise, but ... no, think to come of it, i cannot say the people who did not
> receive emails never get emails, sometimes they sneak thru.
>
> Here's my question: I have been emailing from e-mail account X with the
> reply-to as account Y. Is that the kinda thing that gets email blocked?

No, not unless the sys admin of the site your trying to send to is a clueless
bastard operator from hell. Such a configuration would really screw over many
users of things like gmail, yahoo, etc. Often, users with accounts like this
will send their mail out via their ISPs mail server, but with the return
address of one of these other sites (like gmail). such a configuration allows
you to send mail with your favorite mail client, but have replies go to your
gmail account rather than having to use the web interface to send out all your mails.

things that will usually cause an e-mail to be blocked include

1. The return address domain doesn't have a DNS entry,
2. THe originating IP address is in a blacklist (many ISPs now put their
dynamically assigned IPs into blacklists like spamcop etc. this is to force
customers to use their SMTP server rather than a possibly misconfigured server
running on their own machine). You can't even run an smtp server on your own
system and have it work as a satellite mail server that passes all mail through
your ISP account. I was doing this and found that some mail servers with fairly
poorly implemented anti-spam measures would still block the message even though
it has passed through a restricted non-open relay smtp server.
3. The mail has come from/through an SMTP server which has been identified as
an 'open relay'.
4. The e-mail has come from an SMTP server which has been blacklisted.

If your finding a lot of your messages are failing to arrive, check some of the
blacklists and make sure the SMTP server you are using hasn't been blacklisted.
Some blacklists are (in my opinion) a little too ready to put an IP into their
list - all it takes is for someone to complain they have recieved spam. There
is little burden of proof for some of these lists. While they generally contact
the administrator to alert them that their server has been put into the
blacklist, many admins are so over worked they don't get around to responding
in the time period specified by the blacklist admins and the server is
blacklisted.

and of course, the other option is that people have their own personal
placklists (akak mail kill file) and they have put your address in it.

tim (who is very pleased that in this age of spam he no longer has to work as a
sys admin!)

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au
From: Ken Tilton
Tim X wrote:
> Ken Tilton <···@theoryyalgebra.com> writes:
>

>>OK, so I have ascertained that a number of people have not gotten my emails
>>over the past coupla weeks. I have not looked to check if the correlation is
>>precise, but ... no, think to come of it, i cannot say the people who did not
>>receive emails never get emails, sometimes they sneak thru.
>>
>>Here's my question: I have been emailing from e-mail account X with the
>>reply-to as account Y. Is that the kinda thing that gets email blocked?
>>

> No, not unless the sys admin of the site your trying to send to is a clueless
> bastard operator from hell. Such a configuration would really screw over many
> users of things like gmail, yahoo, etc. Often, users with accounts like this
> will send their mail out via their ISPs mail server, but with the return
> address of one of these other sites (like gmail). such a configuration allows
> you to send mail with your favorite mail client, but have replies go to your
> gmail account rather than having to use the web interface to send out all your mails.
>
> things that will usually cause an e-mail to be blocked include
>
> 1. The return address domain doesn't have a DNS entry,
> 2. THe originating IP address is in a blacklist (many ISPs now put their
> dynamically assigned IPs into blacklists like spamcop etc. this is to force
> customers to use their SMTP server rather than a possibly misconfigured server
> running on their own machine). You can't even run an smtp server on your own
> system and have it work as a satellite mail server that passes all mail through
> your ISP account. I was doing this and found that some mail servers with fairly
> poorly implemented anti-spam measures would still block the message even though
> it has passed through a restricted non-open relay smtp server.
> 3. The mail has come from/through an SMTP server which has been identified as
> an 'open relay'.
> 4. The e-mail has come from an SMTP server which has been blacklisted.
>
> If your finding a lot of your messages are failing to arrive, check some of the
> blacklists and make sure the SMTP server you are using hasn't been blacklisted.
> Some blacklists are (in my opinion) a little too ready to put an IP into their
> list - all it takes is for someone to complain they have recieved spam. There
> is little burden of proof for some of these lists. While they generally contact
> the administrator to alert them that their server has been put into the
> blacklist, many admins are so over worked they don't get around to responding
> in the time period specified by the blacklist admins and the server is
> blacklisted.
>
> and of course, the other option is that people have their own personal
> placklists (akak mail kill file) and they have put your address in it.

Actually, that was my working assumption until the same people started
writing to me asking me where the hell was I. :)

Lotsa good leads, thanks.

kt