From: Andreas Thiele
Subject: Slightly OT: Help System for Lisp App
Hi,

I write a Lisp (LispWorks) application. Now I am at a point where I want to
integrate a handbook/help system.

Do you have any suggestions how I could provide online help - preferrably
platform independent with low overhead?

Andreas

From: Raffael Cavallaro
Subject: Re: Slightly OT: Help System for Lisp App
On 2007-05-09 08:31:27 -0400, "Andreas Thiele" <······@nospam.com> said:

> Do you have any suggestions how I could provide online help - preferrably
> platform independent with low overhead?

html pages? A simple capi interface or menu could launch the user's web
browser with the first of a set of interlinked pages.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article
<····································@pasdespamsilvousplaitmaccom>,
 Raffael Cavallaro
 <················@pas-d'espam-s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:

> On 2007-05-09 08:31:27 -0400, "Andreas Thiele" <······@nospam.com> said:
>
> > Do you have any suggestions how I could provide online help - preferrably
> > platform independent with low overhead?
>
> html pages? A simple capi interface or menu could launch the user's web
> browser with the first of a set of interlinked pages.

Minor variation, integrate HTML display in CAPI windows.
Should be possible on the Mac for example with Apple's Webkit.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2007-05-10 05:02:57 -0400, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> said:

> Should be possible on the Mac for example with Apple's Webkit.

If you decide to go this route - capi + Webkit, drop me an email - I
have some code that does this already.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article
<····································@pasdespamsilvousplaitmaccom>,
 Raffael Cavallaro
 <················@pas-d'espam-s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:

> On 2007-05-10 05:02:57 -0400, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> said:
>
> > Should be possible on the Mac for example with Apple's Webkit.
>
> If you decide to go this route - capi + Webkit, drop me an email - I
> have some code that does this already.

Great, where do we put the directory with Lispworks hacks,
like we used to have with MCL?

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2007-05-10 10:03:53 -0400, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> said:

> Great, where do we put the directory with Lispworks hacks,
> like we used to have with MCL?

So far people have just been posting them to the lisworks-hug list ;^)
From: Rainer Joswig
In article
<····································@pasdespamsilvousplaitmaccom>,
 Raffael Cavallaro
 <················@pas-d'espam-s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:

> On 2007-05-10 10:03:53 -0400, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> said:
>
> > Great, where do we put the directory with Lispworks hacks,
> > like we used to have with MCL?
>
> So far people have just been posting them to the lisworks-hug list ;^)

There is a LispWorks FTP directory for contributions, btw.

But Digitool was more successful harvesting the users
for contributions they could put on the CDROM
and on the FTP site.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2007-05-10 10:52:35 -0400, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> said:

> There is a LispWorks FTP directory for contributions, btw.

ah, good to know, thanks.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article
<····································@pasdespamsilvousplaitmaccom>,
 Raffael Cavallaro
 <················@pas-d'espam-s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:

> On 2007-05-10 10:52:35 -0400, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> said:
>
> > There is a LispWorks FTP directory for contributions, btw.
>
> ah, good to know, thanks.

Btw., I took your Webkit for LispWorks code and here is
a screenshot:

http://lispm.dyndns.org/lisp/pics/webkit-in-lispworks.jpg

Beware that the image is a bit largish and my
upload rate is not that overwhelming. If you
have a smaller screen ;-), you might want
to scale the image a bit for optimal viewing.

It shows the dynamically generated documentation
of CL-HTTP in a browser window in LispWorks.
The CL-HTTP server runs in the same LispWorks
image.

It even runs in LispWorks Personal. Nice.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2007-05-10 12:44:34 -0400, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> said:

> Btw., I took your Webkit for LispWorks code and here is
> a screenshot:

Cool - I'm glad you find it useful.
From: John Thingstad
On Thu, 10 May 2007 18:44:34 +0200, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:

> In article
> <····································@pasdespamsilvousplaitmaccom>,
>  Raffael Cavallaro
>  <················@pas-d'espam-s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2007-05-10 10:52:35 -0400, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> said:
>>
>> > There is a LispWorks FTP directory for contributions, btw.
>>
>> ah, good to know, thanks.
>
> Btw., I took your Webkit for LispWorks code and here is
> a screenshot:
>
> http://lispm.dyndns.org/lisp/pics/webkit-in-lispworks.jpg
>
> Beware that the image is a bit largish and my
> upload rate is not that overwhelming. If you
> have a smaller screen ;-), you might want
> to scale the image a bit for optimal viewing.
>
> It shows the dynamically generated documentation
> of CL-HTTP in a browser window in LispWorks.
> The CL-HTTP server runs in the same LispWorks
> image.
>
> It even runs in LispWorks Personal. Nice.

That's a serious monitor you have got there.
32"?

From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·················@pandora.upc.no>,
 "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2007 18:44:34 +0200, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <····································@pasdespamsilvousplaitmaccom>,
> >  Raffael Cavallaro
> >  <················@pas-d'espam-s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:

> >> ah, good to know, thanks.
> >
> > Btw., I took your Webkit for LispWorks code and here is
> > a screenshot:
> >
> > http://lispm.dyndns.org/lisp/pics/webkit-in-lispworks.jpg
> >
> > Beware that the image is a bit largish and my
> > upload rate is not that overwhelming. If you
> > have a smaller screen ;-), you might want
> > to scale the image a bit for optimal viewing.
> >
> > It shows the dynamically generated documentation
> > of CL-HTTP in a browser window in LispWorks.
> > The CL-HTTP server runs in the same LispWorks
> > image.
> >
> > It even runs in LispWorks Personal. Nice.
> >

> That's a serious monitor you have got there.
> 32"?

Almost. It is a 30" Apple Cinema HD display.
Connected to a MacBook Pro laptop.
I have thought long before buying it, but when
prices came down I ordered one.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Andreas Thiele
"Rainer Joswig" <······@lisp.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
·································@news-europe.giganews.com...
> In article
> <····································@pasdespamsilvousplaitmaccom>,
> Raffael Cavallaro
> <················@pas-d'espam-s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2007-05-09 08:31:27 -0400, "Andreas Thiele" <······@nospam.com> said:
>>
>> > Do you have any suggestions how I could provide online help -
>> > preferrably
>> > platform independent with low overhead?
>>
>> html pages? A simple capi interface or menu could launch the user's web
>> browser with the first of a set of interlinked pages.
>
> Minor variation, integrate HTML display in CAPI windows.
> Should be possible on the Mac for example with Apple's Webkit.
>
> --
> http://lispm.dyndns.org

Thanks Raffael and Rainer,

after googling a bit, I decided to go this way and make something roughly
equivalent to the LispWorks help (HTML).

Andreas