From: Mark Tarver
Subject: error message from SBCL Windows
I'll probably post this to the SBCL group; but does this mean anything
to anyone?

(1-) (einsteins_riddle* X f)
fatal error encountered in SBCL pid 1548:
GC invariant lost, file "gencgc.c", line 833

LDB monitor
ldb> 8
unknown command: ``8''
ldb> 'hi
unknown command: ``'hi''
ldb>

It looks like some top level but its not Lisp as I know it.  The
package says

This is experimental prerelease support for the Windows platform: use
at your own risk.  "Your Kitten of Death awaits!"

Have I grabbed its tail?

Mark

From: Daniel Barlow
Subject: Re: error message from SBCL Windows
Mark Tarver wrote:
> I'll probably post this to the SBCL group; but does this mean anything
> to anyone?
>
> (1-) (einsteins_riddle* X f)
> fatal error encountered in SBCL pid 1548:
> GC invariant lost, file "gencgc.c", line 833

Random guess: either you have unsafe code in einsteins_riddle* that's
corrupted memory somehow, or you ran out of heap (SBCL has a fixed heap
size, so this doesn't necessarily mean you ran out of physical memory or
memory+swap or anything)

> LDB monitor
> ldb> 8

ldb is the low-level debugger thing: generally of more use to SBCL
implementors than regular Lisp users.

-dan
From: Edi Weitz

  http://sbcl-internals.cliki.net/ldb

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Juho Snellman
Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> I'll probably post this to the SBCL group; but does this mean anything
> to anyone?
>
> (1-) (einsteins_riddle* X f)
> fatal error encountered in SBCL pid 1548:
> GC invariant lost, file "gencgc.c", line 833

This is some kind of memory corruption, which the GC has detected.
That could be either due to buggy foreign code, buggy Lisp code that's
being run on (safety 0), or an SBCL bug. (It's not running out of heap
as Dan suggested; that would give a different error message). Which
version of SBCL is this? There were frequent reports with heap
corruption with older versions of the win32 port, but that was fixed
in 1.0.1.

--
Juho Snellman
From: Mark Tarver
On 9 May, 00:25, Juho Snellman <······@iki.fi> wrote:
> Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'll probably post this to the SBCL group; but does this mean anything
> > to anyone?
>
> > (1-) (einsteins_riddle* X f)
> > fatal error encountered in SBCL pid 1548:
> > GC invariant lost, file "gencgc.c", line 833
>
> This is some kind of memory corruption, which the GC has detected.
> That could be either due to buggy foreign code, buggy Lisp code that's
> being run on (safety 0), or an SBCL bug. (It's not running out of heap
> as Dan suggested; that would give a different error message). Which
> version of SBCL is this? There were frequent reports with heap
> corruption with older versions of the win32 port, but that was fixed
> in 1.0.1.
>
> --
> Juho Snellman

This is SBCL 1.0 for Windows.

Mark
From: Juho Snellman
Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> On 9 May, 00:25, Juho Snellman <······@iki.fi> wrote:
>> Which
>> version of SBCL is this? There were frequent reports with heap
>> corruption with older versions of the win32 port, but that was fixed
>> in 1.0.1.
>>
>> --
>> Juho Snellman
>
> This is SBCL 1.0 for Windows.

In that case upgrading to a later version is likely to fix the
problem.

--
Juho Snellman
From: John Thingstad
On Tue, 08 May 2007 18:57:17 +0200, Mark Tarver
<··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> I'll probably post this to the SBCL group; but does this mean anything
> to anyone?
>
> (1-) (einsteins_riddle* X f)
> fatal error encountered in SBCL pid 1548:
> GC invariant lost, file "gencgc.c", line 833
>
> LDB monitor
> ldb> 8
> unknown command: ``8''
> ldb> 'hi
> unknown command: ``'hi''
> ldb>
>
> It looks like some top level but its not Lisp as I know it.  The
> package says
>
> This is experimental prerelease support for the Windows platform: use
> at your own risk.  "Your Kitten of Death awaits!"
>
> Have I grabbed its tail?
>
> Mark

There was a problem with memory corruption leading to gc assertions
failing a while back.
It might be this problem that is biting you.
If so the problem has now been fixed. You could try to get a fresh version
 from CVS.