From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Old Lisp Books at MIT Press
Maybe you are just bored by the good weather like me...

I just noted that the following books are still available
at MIT Press (though there may only be a few):

http://mitpress.mit.edu/

Performance and Evaluation of LISP Systems
Richard P. Gabriel, 1985, $30.40

Object-Oriented Programming
The CLOS Perspective
Andreas Paepcke (Ed.)
Paper / June 1993, $35.20

For the more crazy collectors, there is
this listings book from 'Building Problem
Solvers'. A book just with Lisp code. ;-)

Building Problem Solvers - Listings
Kenneth D. Forbus and Johan de Kleer
Paper / December 1993, $30.40

The code is also available online:
http://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/BPS/readme.html

The text book 'Building Problem Solvers' is a bit
more expensive:

Building Problem Solvers
Kenneth D. Forbus and Johan de Kleer
Cloth / November 1993
$90.00

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org

From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: Re: Old Lisp Books at MIT Press
Rainer Joswig wrote:
> Maybe you are just bored by the good weather like me...
>
> I just noted that the following books are still available
> at MIT Press (though there may only be a few):
>

> http://mitpress.mit.edu/
>

> Performance and Evaluation of LISP Systems
> Richard P. Gabriel, 1985, $30.40
>
> Object-Oriented Programming
> The CLOS Perspective
> Andreas Paepcke (Ed.)
> Paper / June 1993, $35.20

Aren't these just reprints? If I understand correctly, MIT Press has a
program where they create copies of such classic books on demand...

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <···············@mid.individual.net>,
 Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> wrote:

> Rainer Joswig wrote:
> > Maybe you are just bored by the good weather like me...
> >
> > I just noted that the following books are still available
> > at MIT Press (though there may only be a few):
> >

> > http://mitpress.mit.edu/
> >

> > Performance and Evaluation of LISP Systems
> > Richard P. Gabriel, 1985, $30.40
> >
> > Object-Oriented Programming
> > The CLOS Perspective
> > Andreas Paepcke (Ed.)
> > Paper / June 1993, $35.20
>
> Aren't these just reprints? If I understand correctly, MIT Press has a
> program where they create copies of such classic books on demand...

I have no idea. They have some cheaper prices just now for these
books. Actually, I wouldn't care if it is a reprint, as long as
the contents are there. Probably the paper would be newer than. ;-)

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Didier Verna
Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:

>> Aren't these just reprints? If I understand correctly, MIT Press has
>> a program where they create copies of such classic books on demand...
>
> I have no idea. They have some cheaper prices just now for these
> books. Actually, I wouldn't care if it is a reprint, as long as
> the contents are there. Probably the paper would be newer than. ;-)

These are indeed on-demand printings. You get a brand new book, but you
just have to way a couple of months for it...

--
Read the Jazz Blog !! http://jazzblog.didierverna.com

Didier Verna, ······@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 44 08 01 85
94276 Le Kremlin-Bic�tre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   ······@xemacs.org
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <···············@uzeb.lrde.epita.fr>,
 Didier Verna <······@lrde.epita.fr> wrote:

> Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
>
> >> Aren't these just reprints? If I understand correctly, MIT Press has
> >> a program where they create copies of such classic books on demand...
> >
> > I have no idea. They have some cheaper prices just now for these
> > books. Actually, I wouldn't care if it is a reprint, as long as
> > the contents are there. Probably the paper would be newer than. ;-)
>
> These are indeed on-demand printings. You get a brand new book, but you
> just have to way a couple of months for it...

I'll post here when my copies arrive... ;-)

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Andras Simon
Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> writes:

> I'll post here when my copies arrive... ;-)

Your copy of the Gabriel book arrives faster from here:
http://dreamsongs.org/Files/Timrep.pdf

Andras
From: Vebjorn Ljosa
On May 7, 10:04 am, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> Object-Oriented Programming
> The CLOS Perspective
> Andreas Paepcke (Ed.)
> Paper / June 1993, $35.20

This one is well worth the $35.20 (or a trip to your local university
library).  Think of it as a gentler introduction to the MOP than
digging through AMOP.  I found the table of contents here:

http://portal.acm.org/toc.cfm?id=166848&type=div_book&coll=&dl=&CFID=15151515&CFTOKEN=6184618

Vebjorn