From: Saurabh Nanda
Subject: RPC in Lisp
Hi,

I've been Googling around for a while and the closest that I could come
to getting remote procedure calls in Lisp was:

1. http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/8.0/doc/rpc.htm (specific
to Allegro Lisp)

and

2. http://common-lisp.net/project/s-xml-rpc/ (XML-RPC -- not what I want).

Does any one know of a package which would give me functionality similar
to the ACL package mentioned above, and, which would work on a variety
of Lisp flavours?

I'm looking for something very stable and robust -- need to use it in a
critical project.

Is there a port of Swank which does something similar?

Thanks,
Saurabh.

From: dpapathanasiou
Subject: Re: RPC in Lisp
> Does any one know of a package which would give me functionality similar
> to the ACL package mentioned above, and, which would work on a variety
> of Lisp flavours?
>
> I'm looking for something very stable and robust -- need to use it in a
> critical project.

CMUCL has two rpc packages: "Remote" http://common-lisp.net/project/cmucl/doc/cmu-user/ipc.html#toc270
and "Wire" http://common-lisp.net/project/cmucl/doc/cmu-user/ipc.html#toc274
(wire is built on remote).

I'm not sure whether or not there are asdfs of these that will run on
other implementations, but if you can use CMUCL, then you might want
to take a look at them in detail.
From: Andreas Thiele
"Saurabh Nanda" <············@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
·················@registered.motzarella.org...
> Hi,
>
> I've been Googling around for a while and the closest that I could come to
> getting remote procedure calls in Lisp was:
>
> 1. http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/8.0/doc/rpc.htm (specific to
> Allegro Lisp)
>
> and
>
> 2. http://common-lisp.net/project/s-xml-rpc/ (XML-RPC -- not what I want).
>
> Does any one know of a package which would give me functionality similar
> to the ACL package mentioned above, and, which would work on a variety of
> Lisp flavours?
>
> I'm looking for something very stable and robust -- need to use it in a
> critical project.

Hi Saurabh,

I don't know such a package, I rolled my own.

Just implemented a REPL with I/O via a socket - we have Lisp :))

Andreas

P.S. Indeed I added a tiny session manager.

If you are interested in my sources (approx 200 lines) send a message to
andreas <at-sign> atp-media <dot-sign> de
From: dpapathanasiou
> I don't know such a package, I rolled my own.
>
> Just implemented a REPL with I/O via a socket - we have Lisp :))

Oh sure, go and re-invent everything; I suppose the next thing you'll
do is write your own ftp server from scratch:
http://armstrongonsoftware.blogspot.com/2006/09/why-i-often-implement-things-from.html

;-)