From: jakemiles
Subject: producing a beep in common lisp
Hi all.  Is there any standard way to produce a beep in common lisp?
Are there implementation-specific functions that do this?  cmucl would
be nice.

- Jake

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: producing a beep in common lisp
jakemiles wrote:
> Hi all.  Is there any standard way to produce a beep in common lisp?

(+ CFFI cl-openal)? In 3D, no less.

hth,kxo

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"Algebra is the metaphysics of arithmetic." - John Ray

"As long as algebra is taught in school,
there will be prayer in school." - Cokie Roberts

"Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra."
    - Fran Lebowitz

"I'm an algebra liar. I figure two good lies make a positive."
    - Tim Allen
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <···············@newsfe12.lga>,
 Ken Tilton <···@theoryyalgebra.com> wrote:

> jakemiles wrote:
> > Hi all.  Is there any standard way to produce a beep in common lisp?
>
> (+ CFFI cl-openal)? In 3D, no less.
>
> hth,kxo

(ed-beep) in MCL?

(editor::editor-beep) in LispWorks?

Wait, what does (editor::editor-siren) do?

Oh, no... ... how to turn THAT off...?

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Ken Tilton
Rainer Joswig wrote:
> In article <···············@newsfe12.lga>,
>  Ken Tilton <···@theoryyalgebra.com> wrote:
>

>>jakemiles wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all.  Is there any standard way to produce a beep in common lisp?
>>
>>(+ CFFI cl-openal)? In 3D, no less.
>>
>>hth,kxo
>

> (ed-beep) in MCL?
>
> (editor::editor-beep) in LispWorks?
>

> Wait, what does (editor::editor-siren) do?
>
> Oh, no... ... how to turn THAT off...?

And if you had listened to me you could have had a hellasweet Doppler
effect. Of course no one listens to me...

:(

kenny

From: Stefan Mandl
Hi Jake,

> Hi all.  Is there any standard way to produce a beep in common lisp?
> Are there implementation-specific functions that do this?  cmucl would
> be nice.

I tried

(format t "~a" #\bell)

and it works with openmcl and sbcl in a shell window; not in Slime though.

Ahh,

(coerce '(#\bell) 'string)

also works ;)

-- Stefan
From: jakemiles
Thanks - this worked in cmucl too.  I need something that beeps to
time my meditation in the morning.  Why buy a timer.