From: Texaner
Subject: Ltk + Slime + Mac OSX 10.4 + (Clisp or SBCL or OpenMCL or CMUCL)
Dear all,

today I tried to get Ltk working in my Lisp-environment (as described
above).

I navigated through the internet trying the ASDF-way and trying the
manual way to install everything but all attempts without sucess. Did
not get anything working.

The reason is highly probable my few experiences doing things like
this.

Could anyone give me detailed description what I have exactly got to
do or can anyone provide me a (very) good link dealing with this
issue?

I would be very thankful.
Hope I can start coding GUIs for my programs soon.

From: petere
On May 1, 12:47 pm, Texaner <·········@web.de> wrote:

> I navigated through the internet trying the ASDF-way and trying the
> manual way to install everything but all attempts without sucess. Did
> not get anything working.

Here's what I did for SBCL (on OSX):

(asdf-install:install 'ltk)
(require 'ltk)

 test:

(ltk:ltktest)
From: Texaner
Hallo Petere,

your proposal works when using (require 'adsf) and (require 'adsf-
install) before. Installation started and normally (on my system)
aborted with "cannot find ltk-mw" or so but today installation was
exercised completely without this error message.

But (ltk:ltktest) results in:

couldn't write to #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "descriptor 12" {129241A1}>:
  Broken pipe
   [Condition of type SB-INT:SIMPLE-STREAM-ERROR]

which is the same error message as trying the way along
load"ltk.lisp"... (see above).

Thanks.
From: daBittweiler
try: (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'ltk)
then (ltk:ltktest)
if your trying this at the REPL.

From: Texaner
Dear all,

I'm back with a basic questions again:

Today I wanted to read and try out the ltk-Tutorial. So I first typed
in the "Hello world"-example  on page 5:

(defun hello-1 ()
  (with-ltk ()
    (let ((b (make-instance 'button
			    :master nil
			    :text "Press Me"
			    :command (lambda ()
				       (format t "Hello World!~&")))))
      (pack b))))

Starting hello-1 then resulted in:

There is no class named BUTTON.
   [Condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [ABORT-REQUEST] Abort handling SLIME request.
  1: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

Backtrace:
  0: (SB-PCL::FIND-CLASS-FROM-CELL BUTTON NIL T)
  1: (SB-PCL::INSTALL-OPTIMIZED-CONSTRUCTOR #<SB-PCL::CTOR
{1290E6BD}>)
  2: ((LAMBDA (&REST SB-PCL::ARGS)) #<FUNCTION (LAMBDA NIL)
{12639EC5}>)
  3: (HELLO-1)
  4: (SB-INT:SIMPLE-EVAL-IN-LEXENV (HELLO-1) #<NULL-LEXENV>)
  5: (SWANK::EVAL-REGION "(hello-1)

So what else do I have to do to start with ltk?

Thanks for your answers in advance.
From: Texaner
Dear all,

don't know why but under CLisp everything works well.
From: Rob Warnock
Texaner  <·········@web.de> wrote:
+---------------
| (defun hello-1 ()
|   (with-ltk ()
|     (let ((b (make-instance 'button :master nil :text "Press Me"
| 			      :command (lambda ()
| 				         (format t "Hello World!~&")))))
|       (pack b))))
|
| Starting hello-1 then resulted in:
| There is no class named BUTTON.
|    [Condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR]
+---------------

Did you remember to (USE-PACKAGE :LTK)?

Or alternatively, try running the following instead,
which should also work for you:

    (defun hello-1 ()
      (ltk:with-ltk ()
	(let ((b (make-instance 'ltk:button :master nil :text "Press Me"
				:command (lambda ()
					   (format t "Hello World!~&")))))
	  (ltk:pack b))))

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Peter Herth
Texaner wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> today I tried to get Ltk working in my Lisp-environment (as described
> above).
>
> I navigated through the internet trying the ASDF-way and trying the
> manual way to install everything but all attempts without sucess. Did
> not get anything working.
>
> The reason is highly probable my few experiences doing things like
> this.
>
> Could anyone give me detailed description what I have exactly got to
> do or can anyone provide me a (very) good link dealing with this
> issue?
>
> I would be very thankful.
> Hope I can start coding GUIs for my programs soon.
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your help.

If your lisp runs under slime, then all you need to do is:
(load "ltk.lisp")
Thats all. Then try running (ltk:ltktest)
If this does not work, please describe your problems in detail.

Peter

--
Ltk, the easy lisp gui http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/
From: Texaner
Hello Peter,

already tried this. Receive the following error message from slime
debugger:

couldn't write to #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "descriptor 12" {12B73129}>:
  Broken pipe
   [Condition of type SB-INT:SIMPLE-STREAM-ERROR]

Have you got an idea what went wrong?

Thanks.
From: Peter Herth
Texaner wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> already tried this. Receive the following error message from slime
> debugger:
>
> couldn't write to #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "descriptor 12" {12B73129}>:
>   Broken pipe
>    [Condition of type SB-INT:SIMPLE-STREAM-ERROR]
>
> Have you got an idea what went wrong?
>
> Thanks.

The only time I got such a message was, when I killed wish, and Lisp
didn't notice it. When exactly do you get the message? Do you have
Tcl/Tk installed? What happens if you type "wish" in the Mac terminal?
I am doing the LTk development with SBCL on OS X 10.4, so this
combination should really work :)

Peter

--
Ltk, the easy lisp gui http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/
From: Texaner
Hello Peter,

that was it. I did not install Tcl/Tk because I read several times in
the internet that a subset of Tk is already integrated in Mac OS X and
therefore an installation would not be necessary.

Now everything works well. Great!

Thank you very much and sorry for any inconveniences answering my
"stupid" questions.