From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Copying a Genera CD
This isn't really the right place to ask this, but may be it's better
than anywhere else.

I have a Genera 8.3 distribution on CD (if you don't know what this
is, stop reading now), which I would like to make a copy of.  I want
to do this for insurance purposes - the CD I have is the *only* copy I
have and I'm shortly going to post it (and the associated machine) to
someone.  I'm worried that it will get bust, but mostly I want to
check that the existing CD can be read at all before asking someone to
pay the postage etc, as the machine is probably pretty much scrap
without it.

I have available a Mac (10.4.current) with a CD cutter and also
Solaris (10 current) boxes if need be.  Not Linux, not Windows.

Doing the obvious thing (putting it into the mac and using disk
utilitity) doesn't seem to work, so I suspect it has some odd layout
or maybe there is an LMFS partition or something.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

--tim

From: Rafal Strzalinski
Subject: Re: Copying a Genera CD
Tim Bradshaw napisał(a):
> This isn't really the right place to ask this, but may be it's better
> than anywhere else.
>
> I have a Genera 8.3 distribution on CD (if you don't know what this
> is, stop reading now), which I would like to make a copy of.  I want
> to do this for insurance purposes - the CD I have is the *only* copy I
> have and I'm shortly going to post it (and the associated machine) to
> someone.  I'm worried that it will get bust, but mostly I want to
> check that the existing CD can be read at all before asking someone to
> pay the postage etc, as the machine is probably pretty much scrap
> without it.
>
> I have available a Mac (10.4.current) with a CD cutter and also
> Solaris (10 current) boxes if need be.  Not Linux, not Windows.
>
> Doing the obvious thing (putting it into the mac and using disk
> utilitity) doesn't seem to work, so I suspect it has some odd layout
> or maybe there is an LMFS partition or something.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this?

Have You tried to use 'dd' utility? I'm using it on my linux box. It
should available on Solaris, and propably on Mac (i'm not sure).

Using 'dd' You're able to make a "raw" copy of CD (sector by sector).

For example:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=myimage.iso

--
Pozdrawiam,
Rafał Strzaliński
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·····························@news.chello.pl>,
 Rafal Strzalinski <···············@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

> Tim Bradshaw napisał(a):
> > This isn't really the right place to ask this, but may be it's better
> > than anywhere else.
> >
> > I have a Genera 8.3 distribution on CD (if you don't know what this
> > is, stop reading now), which I would like to make a copy of.  I want
> > to do this for insurance purposes - the CD I have is the *only* copy I
> > have and I'm shortly going to post it (and the associated machine) to
> > someone.  I'm worried that it will get bust, but mostly I want to
> > check that the existing CD can be read at all before asking someone to
> > pay the postage etc, as the machine is probably pretty much scrap
> > without it.
> >
> > I have available a Mac (10.4.current) with a CD cutter and also
> > Solaris (10 current) boxes if need be.  Not Linux, not Windows.
> >
> > Doing the obvious thing (putting it into the mac and using disk
> > utilitity) doesn't seem to work, so I suspect it has some odd layout
> > or maybe there is an LMFS partition or something.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to do this?
>
> Have You tried to use 'dd' utility? I'm using it on my linux box. It
> should available on Solaris, and propably on Mac (i'm not sure).

dd is also available on the Mac. That's not the problem. Diskutil
does already the same, making disk images.

The 'problem' with the Genera 8.3 CDROM is that it has two
'tracks'. One track has a file system that is visible on (older) Macs
and has been used to provide the MacIvory software.
The other one is an ISO9600 (IIRC) filesystem that has
the contents that a SUN or Symbolics system would mount.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Tim Bradshaw
On May 1, 2:13 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:

> The 'problem' with the Genera 8.3 CDROM is that it has two
> 'tracks'. One track has a file system that is visible on (older) Macs
> and has been used to provide the MacIvory software.
> The other one is an ISO9600 (IIRC) filesystem that has
> the contents that a SUN or Symbolics system would mount.

That sounds correct (though I suspect the second track might not be
ISO9600), because the mac sees some small filesystem with macivory
stuff in.

What I could not work out, either using dd or disk utility, was how to
copy the second track, let alone how to then create a copy with both
tracks.  It may be I'm just not familiar enough with disk device names
on the mac.  I might have a try on a Sun because I understand them a
lot better.
From: Kent M Pitman
Tim Bradshaw <··········@tfeb.org> writes:

> On May 1, 2:13 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
>
> > The 'problem' with the Genera 8.3 CDROM is that it has two
> > 'tracks'. One track has a file system that is visible on (older) Macs
> > and has been used to provide the MacIvory software.
> > The other one is an ISO9600 (IIRC) filesystem that has
> > the contents that a SUN or Symbolics system would mount.
>
> That sounds correct (though I suspect the second track might not be
> ISO9600), because the mac sees some small filesystem with macivory
> stuff in.
>
> What I could not work out, either using dd or disk utility, was how to
> copy the second track, let alone how to then create a copy with both
> tracks.  It may be I'm just not familiar enough with disk device names
> on the mac.  I might have a try on a Sun because I understand them a
> lot better.

I have never tried this myself, but I note that the VCom CD Anywhere
virtual CD ROM application for the PC has an option to copy hidden
sectors.  It's possible that this is sufficient to archive things,
though since it's a PC application the location of the archive is not
as useful as it would be on another machine.  It's possible it can
also rewrite disks--I haven't tried that either.  But it's a program
worth investigating, quite a useful little tool, and not very expensive.
From: Tim Bradshaw
On May 1, 4:08 pm, Kent M Pitman <······@nhplace.com> wrote:
> Tim Bradshaw <··········@tfeb.org> writes:

> I have never tried this myself, but I note that the VCom CD Anywhere
> virtual CD ROM application for the PC has an option to copy hidden
> sectors.

Thanks.  Problem is I really don't have access to any Windows boxes:
we do have one x86 box but it runs Solaris.  Yes, we're a bit left-
field...  I might try it at work I guess, I have a suspicion that all
the good tools will be in Windows.

--tim
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <························@u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
 Tim Bradshaw <··········@tfeb.org> wrote:

> On May 1, 4:08 pm, Kent M Pitman <······@nhplace.com> wrote:
> > Tim Bradshaw <··········@tfeb.org> writes:
>

> > I have never tried this myself, but I note that the VCom CD Anywhere
> > virtual CD ROM application for the PC has an option to copy hidden
> > sectors.
>
> Thanks.  Problem is I really don't have access to any Windows boxes:
> we do have one x86 box but it runs Solaris.  Yes, we're a bit left-
> field...  I might try it at work I guess, I have a suspicion that all
> the good tools will be in Windows.
>
> --tim

Maybe Toast for the Mac (commercial from Roxio) would do the job.
I guess there are other tools, but Toast I have seen used
most in commercial surroundings...

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Edi Weitz
On Tue, 01 May 2007 18:37:05 +0200, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:

> Maybe Toast for the Mac (commercial from Roxio) would do the job.  I
> guess there are other tools, but Toast I have seen used most in
> commercial surroundings...

In the olden days when we still had SCSI drives, Toast could do
something like a "direct SCSI" copy.  I don't know how this was
implemented technically, but ISTR that this always worked no matter
what kind of CD you were trying to copy.  Maybe you still have an old
Mac plus software and SCSI drives in your basement... :)

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: fireblade
On May 1, 5:46 pm, Tim Bradshaw <··········@tfeb.org> wrote:
> On May 1, 4:08 pm, Kent M Pitman <······@nhplace.com> wrote:
>
> > Tim Bradshaw <··········@tfeb.org> writes:
>
> > I have never tried this myself, but I note that the VCom CD Anywhere
> > virtual CD ROM application for the PC has an option to copy hidden
> > sectors.
>
> Thanks.  Problem is I really don't have access to any Windows boxes:
> we do have one x86 box but it runs Solaris.  Yes, we're a bit left-
> field...  I might try it at work I guess, I have a suspicion that all
> the good tools will be in Windows.
>
> --tim

I don't know anything about Mac or Solaris, but at work or at some of
your friend computer you could use Nero http://www.nero.com (Windows &
Linux) and Alcohol http://www.alcohol-soft.com/ works only on
Windows .They both allow you to make a Perfect copy, that's  used  for
fooling the older copy protected games with unreadable sectors.
Both programms offer trial so you don't have to pay anything for only
one cd.

cheers
bobi
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <························@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
 Tim Bradshaw <··········@tfeb.org> wrote:

> On May 1, 2:13 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
>
> > The 'problem' with the Genera 8.3 CDROM is that it has two
> > 'tracks'. One track has a file system that is visible on (older) Macs
> > and has been used to provide the MacIvory software.
> > The other one is an ISO9600 (IIRC) filesystem that has
> > the contents that a SUN or Symbolics system would mount.
>
> That sounds correct (though I suspect the second track might not be
> ISO9600), because the mac sees some small filesystem with macivory
> stuff in.
>
> What I could not work out, either using dd or disk utility, was how to
> copy the second track, let alone how to then create a copy with both
> tracks.  It may be I'm just not familiar enough with disk device names
> on the mac.  I might have a try on a Sun because I understand them a
> lot better.

I guess it is a Hybrid CD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_CD

Check out the Mac OS X command hdiutil
 (manipulate disk images (attach, verify, burn, etc))
and its option makehybrid.

Some tools can create those, like
  http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Onstream/NTIDRAGON/

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Rafal Strzalinski
Rainer Joswig napisa�(a):
> In article <························@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
>  Tim Bradshaw <··········@tfeb.org> wrote:
>
>> On May 1, 2:13 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
>>
>>> The 'problem' with the Genera 8.3 CDROM is that it has two
>>> 'tracks'. One track has a file system that is visible on (older) Macs
>>> and has been used to provide the MacIvory software.
>>> The other one is an ISO9600 (IIRC) filesystem that has
>>> the contents that a SUN or Symbolics system would mount.
>> That sounds correct (though I suspect the second track might not be
>> ISO9600), because the mac sees some small filesystem with macivory
>> stuff in.
>>
>> What I could not work out, either using dd or disk utility, was how to
>> copy the second track, let alone how to then create a copy with both
>> tracks.  It may be I'm just not familiar enough with disk device names
>> on the mac.  I might have a try on a Sun because I understand them a
>> lot better.
>
> I guess it is a Hybrid CD:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_CD

I thought that using 'dd' I can copy entire CD, whatever tracks are like
(data, audio, hybrid etc). Now, I'm concern about my backups, grrr.

--
Best regards,
Rafa� Strzali�ski
From: Tim Bradshaw
On May 2, 9:24 am, Rafal Strzalinski
<···············@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought that using 'dd' I can copy entire CD, whatever tracks are like
> (data, audio, hybrid etc). Now, I'm concern about my backups, grrr.

It isn't clear to me that this is wrong.  I'm just not familiar with
device names on OSX so I'm not sure which device to dd.  I was going
to say that on Solaris I'd know to use s2, but I'm not sure that's
true for CDs, let alone the partitioning horrors that x86 machines
have visited on us all.  I might try it anyway.

--tim
From: David Golden
Tim Bradshaw wrote:

> Does anyone know how to do this?

Hmm.  "cdrdao copy" is quite likely to do it?
I've never used cdrdao on non-linux, but it
apparently runs on solaris too.
From: Tim X
Tim Bradshaw <··········@tfeb.org> writes:

> This isn't really the right place to ask this, but may be it's better
> than anywhere else.
>
> I have a Genera 8.3 distribution on CD (if you don't know what this
> is, stop reading now), which I would like to make a copy of.  I want
> to do this for insurance purposes - the CD I have is the *only* copy I
> have and I'm shortly going to post it (and the associated machine) to
> someone.  I'm worried that it will get bust, but mostly I want to
> check that the existing CD can be read at all before asking someone to
> pay the postage etc, as the machine is probably pretty much scrap
> without it.
>
> I have available a Mac (10.4.current) with a CD cutter and also
> Solaris (10 current) boxes if need be.  Not Linux, not Windows.
>
> Doing the obvious thing (putting it into the mac and using disk
> utilitity) doesn't seem to work, so I suspect it has some odd layout
> or maybe there is an LMFS partition or something.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this?

May or may not work, but ...

On many Unix systems you usually have a low level utility that will just
read/write bytes, without trying to follow any underlying structure/filesystem
etc. On systems using GNU's coreutils its called dd, but I'm pretty sure BSD
(OSX?) and Solaris have something equivalent.

I've used dd to copy floppy disks that had copyprotection and disks from other
systems and disks with filesystems I wasn't able to read. While I've not done
it with a CD, I can't see any reason you couldn't do the same thing, with the
possible exception of burning a new cd (though I expect there are options
available to facilitate writing 'raw' data).

good luck

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au
From: Christian Lynbech
I have used Burn (http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net) with some succcess
on my Powermac G5, it is free and have a Copy function that is
supposed to generate a full image from a CD.

Furthermore, the Copy function has a Scan option and this reports the
disk device as /dev/rdisk1s0 which should be suitable to 'dd' which
should be able to work on any kind of CD as this will be a sector by
sector copy as opposed to using any kind of interpretation of the
contents.

Normally there is system to the device naming and what I usually do
when in a situation such as Tims is simply to try reading from all
promising looking devices in /dev, the system should refuse to do
anything on unconnected devices. Looking at /dev with "ls -l" may also
give some hints. For instance I noticed that the devices "rdisk1" and
"rdisk1" changed uid away from root when putting a CD into the device
and back to root when the CD was ejected again.

Christian Lynbech       | christian ··@ defun #\. dk
                                        - ·······@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)