From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Theory Y Algebra Special Moment, Or Why you all should just sit at Kenny's feet and take notes
I do not know (he's lying--Yahoo site statistics tell all) how many of
you reached this "slide":

    http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/demo-15.html

I hope I do not get sued too badly for using that sound clip, but can
they blame me?

Anyway, there was a Great Lisp Moment related to that functionality. A
terribly influential math education bigwig who just happens also to run
the secondary math department for a big US city snuck into the booth
incognito. He stood in the second row talking to my bro while I gave the
demo to someone else.

When I was done, I got up to see what was going on. The guy was just
talking about how /he/ taught and showed no interest in the software. He
said he had kids play with equations.

Hunh?
Like x = 5.
That's the answer.
Right, then change it to 3x=15.
Oh. Cool.

But it was a pity he had no interest in the software. Not that I knew
who he was, just that he was missing out on some good software.

Then I remembered this slide. Sat down, warned him the tutor would be
dubious at each step, then executed his methodology, unsolving my demo:

x < -5
x < 15/-3
-3x > 15
-3x - 2 > 13

He took my card, wrote his work number on the back, and told us who he
was (well, I asked him exactly who he was when some things he said
suggested he was bigger than he was letting on.)

Great fun, and a perfect demonstration of the value of Tilton's Law:
Always move towards the light.

kzo

--

http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
From: ········@gmail.com
On Mar 29, 10:52 am, Ken Tilton <····@theoryyalgebra.com> wrote:
> I do not know (he's lying--Yahoo site statistics tell all) how many of
> you reached this "slide":
>
>    http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/demo-15.html
>
> I hope I do not get sued too badly for using that sound clip, but can
> they blame me?
>
> Anyway, there was a Great Lisp Moment related to that functionality. A
> terribly influential math education bigwig who just happens also to run
> the secondary math department for a big US city snuck into the booth
> incognito. He stood in the second row talking to my bro while I gave the
> demo to someone else.
>
> When I was done, I got up to see what was going on. The guy was just
> talking about how /he/ taught and showed no interest in the software. He
> said he had kids play with equations.
>
> Hunh?
> Like x = 5.
> That's the answer.
> Right, then change it to 3x=15.
> Oh. Cool.
>
> But it was a pity he had no interest in the software. Not that I knew
> who he was, just that he was missing out on some good software.
>
> Then I remembered this slide. Sat down, warned him the tutor would be
> dubious at each step, then executed his methodology, unsolving my demo:
>
> x < -5
> x < 15/-3
> -3x > 15
> -3x - 2 > 13
>
> He took my card, wrote his work number on the back, and told us who he
> was (well, I asked him exactly who he was when some things he said
> suggested he was bigger than he was letting on.)
>
> Great fun, and a perfect demonstration of the value of Tilton's Law:
> Always move towards the light.

huzzah!

;-)