From: ············@gmail.com
Subject: Windows gui application in lisp
I am a lisp newbie and want to develop a GUI based windows application
using CL.Is it practical or I have to go .net environment way?Does CL
provide a way to draw windows objects?Can CL be integrated with Visual
Basic? How would I able to call windows specific functions in lisp(say
enter  registry information)?

From: fireblade
Subject: Re: Windows gui application in lisp
On Mar 29, 12:06 pm, ·············@gmail.com" <············@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I am a lisp newbie and want to develop a GUI based windows application
> using CL.Is it practical or I have to go .net environment way?

It is practical celtk might me a good place to start
http://www.tilton-technology.com/Celtk.html
.Net is also possible through RNDNZL

>Does CL provide a way to draw windows objects?
 Yes through libraries as any other language
>Can CL be integrated with Visual Basic?
Don't know , CL has no problem interfacing with c, need some work
for c++ but i never tried VB
> How would I able to call windows specific functions in lisp
And the crudest form you can use CL interface to c,
but prefer the premade libs

You're actually spoiled of choices for developing gui's, as the matter
of
libraries :
1.Celtk , celgtk,cello, McClim ..
2. .Net staff through RNDNZL
But if you want a GUI builder you'll have to buy commercial lisp
( lw & allegro)
From: John Thingstad
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:06:25 +0200, ············@gmail.com
<············@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a lisp newbie and want to develop a GUI based windows application
> using CL.Is it practical or I have to go .net environment way?Does CL
> provide a way to draw windows objects?Can CL be integrated with Visual
> Basic? How would I able to call windows specific functions in lisp(say
> enter  registry information)?

Well I use LispWorks which has CAPI a portable windows interface which I
like.
There are many more to choose from. RDNZL is a library that allows to
connect
to .NET. Thus .NET VB as well I suppose. You could also use .NET to
create windows application. Be aware though that .NET is not tightly
integrated
as with Microsoft products. To call windows functions use the foreign
function
interface. Each version has it's own. If you care about portability there
is
CFFI and UFFI which provide portable C interfaces. All of this requires
quite
a bit of work to get into. LispWorks Personal Edition + Edi Weitz Starter
Pack
may be the easiest route.

For LispWorks and StarterPack
http://www.lispworks.com