From: Matthew Swank
Subject: Kenny, they stole your paradigm!
http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Papers/Published/ick-adapt-oo-fwk-frp/
http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Papers/Published/ck-frtime/

I would write them a strongly worded letter.

Matt
--
"You do not really understand something unless you
 can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein.

From: ········@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Kenny, they stole your paradigm!
Someone stole it back in 1959, too:

  http://research.sun.com/vlsi/Publications/UCAM-CL-TR-574.pdf
From: Matthew Swank
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:54:22 -0700, ········@gmail.com wrote:

> Someone stole it back in 1959, too:
>
>   http://research.sun.com/vlsi/Publications/UCAM-CL-TR-574.pdf

This quite a hefty paper.  Can anyone summarize how state was managed
the SketchPad environment? Did it really use data-flow/contraints (not to
completely conflate the two)?

Matt

From: Ken
Matthew Swank wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:54:22 -0700, ········@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Someone stole it back in 1959, too:
>>
>>   http://research.sun.com/vlsi/Publications/UCAM-CL-TR-574.pdf
>
> This quite a hefty paper.

Can you say "Table of Contents"? Sher ya can. Good stuff starts around
page 94.

>...  Can anyone summarize how state was managed
> the SketchPad environment? Did it really use data-flow/contraints (not to
> completely conflate the two)?

It had a constraint satisfaction algorithm that tried to reduce the
energy in a system to a minimum, where energy was defined as the square
(square root?) of the error introduced by a value offered as a solution.

Cells (and every other dataflow package) offers programmers dataflow
between program state. Sketchpad offered dataflow to someone building a
drawing with a light pen.

kt
From: Vagif Verdi
Actually i've seen realization of this idea in such widespread and
popular development environments as Flash and javascript.
For example Abode's flash dev. environment Flex (which is free by the
way) has [Bindable] attribute, that you can attach to any object or
variable. And after that you can use it in formulas.
Check examples on abode Flex site.

Also recently i found this: http://www.flapjax-lang.org/
It is the same thing but for javascript. There' are working examples
on the web site, and it is opensource and free.
From: Joel Wilsson
On Mar 21, 7:48 pm, "Vagif Verdi" <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also recently i found this:http://www.flapjax-lang.org/
> It is the same thing but for javascript. There' are working examples
> on the web site, and it is opensource and free.

It's worth noting that Shriram Krishnamurthi and Gregory Cooper
are both co-authors of the paper and Flapjax core team members.

Kenny made a post about Flapjax a while back.

Regards,
  Joel
From: Fred Gilham
Among the interesting features of this work is the following reference
to earlier work (in the first paper):

"The Garnet[11] and Amulet[12] projects were two early C++
toolkits..."

They certainly didn't read reference 11.

--
Fred Gilham                                  ······@csl.sri.com
In Nashville there ain't no money above the third fret. -- Jay Carlson
From: Ken Tilton
Matthew Swank wrote:
> http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Papers/Published/ick-adapt-oo-fwk-frp/
> http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Papers/Published/ck-frtime/
>
> I would write them a strongly worded letter.

The bastards!!!!

As Jeff notes, Sutherland gets the early bird award. I was separate and
independent, just 34 years later, 12 years after Steele thought he would
popularize it. Somewhere Googleable is one attempt of mine at a prior
art list, but dataflow is just this inevitable meme and really the prior
/concurrent/subsequent art is vast. Only on #lisp IRC (sp?) will you
"learn" that Cells is a delusion of mine.

:)

kenny

--

"Algebra is the metaphysics of arithmetic." - John Ray

http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/