From: ezkcdude
Subject: Programming in Nyquist - suggestions for a beginner
I'd like to try writing some Nyquist plugins for Audacity, and
apparently, it is based on LISP (or XLISP?). I thought I might find
some help here. I have plenty of programming experience, but never
tried LISP. What are the best books/websites/tutorials on the subject
of LISP? And does anyone here have experience with Nyquist?

From: hyperstring.net ltd
Try
www.gigamonkeys.com

You're in for a shock
From: ezkcdude
On Mar 13, 9:28 am, "hyperstring.net ltd"
<············@hyperstring.net> wrote:
> Trywww.gigamonkeys.com
>
> You're in for a shock

Thanks, this looks good.
From: Thomas Strathmann
On 2007-03-13, ezkcdude <····@cellandtissue.com> wrote:
> I'd like to try writing some Nyquist plugins for Audacity, and
> apparently, it is based on LISP (or XLISP?). I thought I might find
> some help here. I have plenty of programming experience, but never
> tried LISP. What are the best books/websites/tutorials on the subject
> of LISP? And does anyone here have experience with Nyquist?

Nyquist is based on Lisp but its usefulness lies in the
domain specific (i.e. digital signal processing, timing)
extensions to the language. Perhaps the Nyquist manual might prove
more useful if you just want to use Nyquist for writing Audacity
plugins. You might also be interested in some of the papers about
Nyquist in order to understand some of the design decisions.

	Thomas

--
Thomas S. Strathmann				http://www.pdp7.org
From: Ken Tilton
Thomas Strathmann wrote:
> On 2007-03-13, ezkcdude <····@cellandtissue.com> wrote:
>
>>I'd like to try writing some Nyquist plugins for Audacity, and
>>apparently, it is based on LISP (or XLISP?). I thought I might find
>>some help here. I have plenty of programming experience, but never
>>tried LISP. What are the best books/websites/tutorials on the subject
>>of LISP? And does anyone here have experience with Nyquist?
>

> Nyquist is based on Lisp but its usefulness lies in the
> domain specific (i.e. digital signal processing, timing)
> extensions to the language. Perhaps the Nyquist manual might prove
> more useful if you just want to use Nyquist for writing Audacity
> plugins. You might also be interested in some of the papers about
> Nyquist in order to understand some of the design decisions.

Agreed on everything, but unless there is a solid Nyquist intro out
there it probably makes sense to do a few chapters of a CL book, until
the "OK, I get it" light goes on.

To the OP, what will be gotten is that the prominent differences on the
surface are just that, on the surface. All your programming experience
applies and will cut in inside a month or week.

hth,kzo

--

"As long as algebra is taught in school,
there will be prayer in school." - Cokie Roberts

"Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra."
    - Fran Lebowitz

"I'm an algebra liar. I figure two good lies make a positive."
    - Tim Allen

"Algebra is the metaphysics of arithmetic." - John Ray

http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
From: ezkcdude
Thanks!
-ez