From: Pedro Kroger
Subject: Using SBCL in debian
Hi,

Usually I have all the implementations and libraries I need in ~/lisp.
but now I'm using lisp in a course and I want to make sure the
students will be able to install and use stuff.

So, I've apt-get installed sbcl, common-lisp-controller, and a few
libraries like cl-ppcre.

How should I use them? for instance, if I want to use cl-ppcre:

(require 'asdf)

runs ok

(asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre)

=> component "cl-ppcre" not found

(clc:clc-require :cl-ppcre)

=> package "CLC" not found

but I *have* the clc! anyway, my questions are:

1. should I use asdf or clc to load a library in debian?
2. is my system broken or should I install anything else?

I'm using debian etch and these are the versions of the packages:

cl-ppcre                 1.2.16-1
common-lisp-controller   6.8
sbcl                     0.9.16.0-1

Pedro Kroger

From: ···············@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Using SBCL in debian
On 6 Mar, 13:06, "Pedro Kroger" <············@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I've apt-get installed sbcl, common-lisp-controller, and a few
> libraries like cl-ppcre.
>
> How should I use them? for instance, if I want to use cl-ppcre:
>
> (require 'asdf)

> I'm using debian etch and these are the versions of the packages:

I use Ubuntu and have pulled down most of the libs that I need for
SBCL using ASDF-INSTALL. I've managed, for example, to get hunchentoot
up and running this way and this uses cl-ppcre (which was also pulled
down by asdf-install). The one and only hitch that I had was that cl
+ssl couldn't find libssl but a quick symlink fixed that.

The tutorial here is very good: http://common-lisp.net/project/asdf-install/tutorial/index-save.html
(although I believe an updated one is also in the works).

Phil
From: Matthias Benkard
Hi,

> cl-ppcre                 1.2.16-1
> common-lisp-controller   6.8
> sbcl                     0.9.16.0-1

I think that dpkg should have built a new SBCL image containing the
Common Lisp Controller upon installation of the latter.  Are you sure
that (a) that happened (i.e., there weren't any installation problems?
You can check this by typing `dpkg --pending --configure', which
should normally do nothing) and (b) you aren't using some other image?

Matthias
From: Thomas Strathmann
On 2007-03-06, Pedro Kroger <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> Usually I have all the implementations and libraries I need in ~/lisp.
> but now I'm using lisp in a course and I want to make sure the
> students will be able to install and use stuff.
>
> So, I've apt-get installed sbcl, common-lisp-controller, and a few
> libraries like cl-ppcre.
>
> How should I use them? for instance, if I want to use cl-ppcre:

I use (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre)
on Debian GNU/Linux unstable with SBCL. Works out of the box.

	Thomas

--
Thomas S. Strathmann				http://www.pdp7.org
From: Pedro Kroger
On Mar 6, 12:55 pm, Thomas Strathmann <······@pdp7.org> wrote:

> I use (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre)
> on Debian GNU/Linux unstable with SBCL. Works out of the box.

this is what I expected. I suppose my system is broken.

thanks.

pedro
From: Ralf Mattes
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:38:17 -0800, Pedro Kroger wrote:

> On Mar 6, 12:55 pm, Thomas Strathmann <······@pdp7.org> wrote:
>
>> I use (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre)
>> on Debian GNU/Linux unstable with SBCL. Works out of the box.
>
> this is what I expected. I suppose my system is broken.

At least it _looks_ like it. What does:

 asdf:*central-registry*

evaluate too? What output do the following (shell) commands produce?

 dpkg --status cl-ppcre

 ls -la /usr/share/common-lisp/systems/

Cheers, Ralf Mattes

(who never had problems with SBCL and asdf in Debian/Ubuntu)

From: Pedro Kroger
On Mar 6, 6:58 pm, Ralf Mattes <····@mh-freiburg.de> wrote:
> At least it _looks_ like it. What does:
>
>  asdf:*central-registry* evaluate too?

((MERGE-PATHNAMES ".sbcl/systems/" (USER-HOMEDIR-PATHNAME))
 (MERGE-PATHNAMES "site-systems/" (TRUENAME (POSIX-GETENV
"SBCL_HOME")))
 *DEFAULT-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS*)

> What output do the following (shell) commands produce? dpkg --status cl-ppcre

it says the package is installed (and other information)

>  ls -la /usr/share/common-lisp/systems/

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   31 2007-02-26 17:33 cl-ppcre.asd -> ../source/
cl-ppcre/cl-ppcre.asd

(and much more stuff)

> (who never had problems with SBCL and asdf in Debian/Ubuntu)

I'll update my system and see if it works. As I said before, I usually
have all my lisp stuff at ~/lisp, so I have things configured to this
in my ~/.bashrc and ~/.emacs. to be sure this was not interfering with
my test, I was running sbcl as another user ('teste') using su (i.e.
"su - teste").

Pedro
From: John Thingstad
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 14:06:35 +0100, Pedro Kroger <············@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Usually I have all the implementations and libraries I need in ~/lisp.
> but now I'm using lisp in a course and I want to make sure the
> students will be able to install and use stuff.
>
> So, I've apt-get installed sbcl, common-lisp-controller, and a few
> libraries like cl-ppcre.
>
> How should I use them? for instance, if I want to use cl-ppcre:
>
> (require 'asdf)
>
> runs ok
>
> (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre)
>
> => component "cl-ppcre" not found
>
> (clc:clc-require :cl-ppcre)
>
> => package "CLC" not found
>
> but I *have* the clc! anyway, my questions are:
>
> 1. should I use asdf or clc to load a library in debian?
> 2. is my system broken or should I install anything else?
>
> I'm using debian etch and these are the versions of the packages:
>
> cl-ppcre                 1.2.16-1
> common-lisp-controller   6.8
> sbcl                     0.9.16.0-1
>
> Pedro Kroger

Have you set the cl-ppcre in the seach path for asdf?
 from http://www.cliki.net/asdf

;; An alternative to the standard sysdef search can be defined.  This
;; code below can be dropped into your Lisp init files and customized.
;; It will search for all ASDF systems in subdirectories of the
;; specified directories.  That lets you simply "drop-in" new packages
;; into one of the specified directories, and it will be available for
(in-package #:asdf)
(defvar *subdir-search-registry* '(#p"/my/lisp/libraries/")
   "List of directories to search subdirectories within.")
(defvar *subdir-search-wildcard* :wild
   "Value of :wild means search only one level of subdirectories; value of
:wild-inferiors means search all levels of subdirectories (I don't advise
using this in big directories!)")
(defun sysdef-subdir-search (system)
   (let ((latter-path (make-pathname :name (coerce-name system)
                                     :directory (list :relative
                                                      *subdir-search-wildcard*)
                                     :type "asd"
                                     :version :newest
                                     :case :local)))
     (dolist (d *subdir-search-registry*)
       (let* ((wild-path (merge-pathnames latter-path d))
              (files (directory wild-path)))
         (when files
           (return (first files)))))))
(pushnew 'sysdef-subdir-search *system-definition-search-functions*)

From: Johan Ur Riise
"Pedro Kroger" <············@gmail.com> writes:

> (require 'asdf)
>
> runs ok
>
> (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre)
>
> => component "cl-ppcre" not found

Make sure the system's asd-file, or a link to it, is present in one
of the directories searched by asdf. Normally, one such directory
is ~/.sbcl/systems.

If not, or should you want to create a new directory for the
purpose, the variable asdf:*central-registry* should have (a form
that evaluates to) the directory as one of its elements.