From: Mark Carter
Subject: cl-ironclad woes
and it all seems to compile fine.

Now, suppose I want to encrypt some text using the blowfish algorithm. I try

(setf iv (ironclad:ascii-string-to-byte-array "my password"))

(setf cipher (ironclad:make-cipher :blowfish  :mode :ecb
:initialization-vector iv))

but the last line reports
*** - Cipher #<BLOWFISH-CONTEXT #x20522A1E> is not a supported cipher

Anyone care to tell me what I'm doing wrong?

From: Nathan Froyd
Subject: Re: cl-ironclad woes
On Mar 5, 12:05 pm, Mark Carter <ยทยทยทยท@privacy.net> wrote:
> Now, suppose I want to encrypt some text using the blowfish algorithm. I try
>
> (setf iv (ironclad:ascii-string-to-byte-array "my password"))
>
> (setf cipher (ironclad:make-cipher :blowfish  :mode :ecb
> :initialization-vector iv))
>
> but the last line reports
> *** - Cipher #<BLOWFISH-CONTEXT #x20522A1E> is not a supported cipher
>
> Anyone care to tell me what I'm doing wrong?

This is a horrible error message.  I take full responsibility. :)

The problem is that you are not providing the :KEY argument to MAKE-
CIPHER.

(ironclad:make-cipher :blowfish :mode :ecb :key iv)

works as you might expect.  :INITIALIZATION-VECTOR is for modes that
require
one (CBC, OFB, CFB, CTR).

-Nathan
From: Ken Tilton
Nice work, I'll be able to use this to store student data securely and
handle logins. Thanks! Nice doc, too, but you are setting a bad example
for me. :)

kzo

--
Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and
I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
                                   -- Elwood's Mom
From: Mark Carter
Nathan Froyd wrote:

> works as you might expect.  :INITIALIZATION-VECTOR is for modes that
> require
> one (CBC, OFB, CFB, CTR).

THANKS! I'm really happy to get cl-ironclad working. I've put a working
example for the blowfish algorithm over at the Cliki site:
http://www.cliki.net/Ironclad