From: gavino
Subject: lisp web servers, lisp as a shell, lisp using rdbms or not
1 I saw the webserver huchentoot seems to want to sit behind apache?
araneida seesm to also? Why do they depend on apache?

2 I saw lisp on lines is kinda alpha

3 uncomon web seems cool but also wants to sit behind apache

4 common lisp as a shell is really doible? anyone do this?

5 for large apps is using a rdbms unavoidable?

6 does lisp support or mapping or persisten db conneciton pooling and
cacheing?

From: Brian Adkins
gavino wrote:
> 1 I saw the webserver huchentoot seems to want to sit behind apache?
> araneida seesm to also? Why do they depend on apache?

I can't comment on those particular servers, but I can say that Apache
is pretty darn good at handling ssl, serving static content and
delegating dynamic requests to something else. Being a Lisp newbie I'm
more familiar with the Ruby world where Mongrel behind Apache using
mod_proxy_balancer is a very good stack. It's possible the servers you
mention sit behind Apache for similar reasons.

> 2 I saw lisp on lines is kinda alpha
>
> 3 uncomon web seems cool but also wants to sit behind apache
>
> 4 common lisp as a shell is really doible? anyone do this?
>
> 5 for large apps is using a rdbms unavoidable?

Depends more on the nature of the data you want to persist than the size
of the app.

> 6 does lisp support or mapping or persisten db conneciton pooling and
> cacheing?

No idea, but if you spin up a few long running Lisp web servers behind
Apache, connection pooling isn't *as* necessary. At least I've found
that to be the case with Apache/Mongrel.

Brian
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:13:36 -0800, gavino wrote:

> 1 I saw the webserver huchentoot seems to want to sit behind apache?
> araneida seesm to also? Why do they depend on apache?

Hi troll!
Here, the first two sentences from the homepage:

  "Hunchentoot is a web server written in Common Lisp and at the same time
   a toolkit for building dynamic websites. As a stand-alone web server,
   Hunchentoot is capable of HTTP/1.1 chunking (both directions),
   persistent connections (keep-alive), and SSL, but it can also sit behind
   the popular Apache using Marc Battyani's mod_lisp."

..but by the end of this post you will have forgotten this. Now go throw a
fit already.

> 2 I saw lisp on lines is kinda alpha

I saw your project hasn't even started yet.

> 3 uncomon web seems cool but also wants to sit behind apache

Uh, yeah?

> 5 for large apps is using a rdbms unavoidable?

No?

> 6 does lisp support or mapping or persisten db conneciton pooling and
> cacheing?

Yes?

Next week: same questions, different newsgroup.
Next week: same questions, back here again.

Click this:
http://groups.google.com/groups/abuse?group=comp.lang.lisp&type=message&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fgroup%2Fcomp.lang.lisp%2Fmsg%2Fa8e1681fafe001c2&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fcomp.lang.lisp%2Fbrowse_thread%2Fthread%2F3b98d175b7fa4152%2Fa8e1681fafe001c2%3F&

Why? Take a look:
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?enc_author=GPHBdRMAAAAfFGB7jQJZmNRuZtAVoM-qWMj6vob75xS36mXc24h6ww&scoring=d
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?enc_author=Vk26PxIAAAAm28H39K9wcXFBEVYE99Z98rhlH0Pnl47z4AZhN98BFg&scoring=d

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://nostdal.org/
From: gavino
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Mar 3, 5:24 pm, "gavino" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lars why are you so bitter?

why aren't you?

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://nostdal.org/
From: gavino
I am having fun learning free software!!!

Not cutting people down.
From: Tim Bradshaw
On 2007-03-02 01:13:36 +0000, "gavino" <·········@gmail.com> said:

> [...]

Haven't all those exact questions been asked in really recent history.
By you, I think?

For the `why does x like to be behind Apache' you might consider why
virtually every serious web application in the world, including all the
Java ones, sits behind an Apache front end.

--tim
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'gavino)
(you :wrote  :on '(1 Mar 2007 17:13:36 -0800))
(

 g> 1 I saw the webserver huchentoot seems to want to sit behind apache?
 g> araneida seesm to also? Why do they depend on apache?

Apache Tomcat, a web server in Java, is also frequently used 'behind
apache'.
Apache Tomcat will need a thread per active request, if somebody does a
request over slow half-working modem line, data will be transmitted for a
long time. non-Tomcat Apache is supposed to handle that more efficiently.
also i think it's connected with garbage collection..

same for lisp, i think

)