From: ·············@yahoo.es
Subject: A small yoke
 http://norvig.com/experiment-design.html

I beg you excuses for my poor English.

I just read the future of Lisp and  this is a small yoke I found in
reddit  about  http://norvig.com/experiment-design.html

Hello doctor Norvig, i have a strange decease:

My face is now yellow, my body is blue, my feet are black.

Oh well, i have wonderful statistics for you. There is only a case
like yours in the world, we have spent 20 million dollars to detect
your illness, but know we now that our 99.99 % exact test only give
you an small chance to have this illness, thats all.

Well doctor, thanks for that good information.

No so much, this costs 2000 dollars, there is a lot of investigation
costs to achieve this conclusion and cure.

By, i fax you a check.

Later i found an old doctor called ya-hoo.

Hello Helen, why are you in this colour?

I don't know, but i remember my grandmother has the same illness and
it disappeared when she took some fresh vegetables.

That's wonderful, i think that the solution for your problem. Good-by
Helen.

Question: (too lazy to ask one)

Answer: No one would make a test without prior knowledge, so Helen
probability of having the illness is not one in 5000 millions, but
perhaps one in ten or so:

Is this an small error?

 I hope Lisp have a better future.

From: Slobodan Blazeski
Subject: Re: A small yoke
On Jun 26, 10:51 pm, ·············@yahoo.es wrote:
>  http://norvig.com/experiment-design.html
>
> I beg you excuses for my poor English.
>
> I just read the future of Lisp and  this is a small yoke I found in
> reddit  about  http://norvig.com/experiment-design.html
>
> Hello doctor Norvig, i have a strange decease:
>
> My face is now yellow, my body is blue, my feet are black.
>
> Oh well, i have wonderful statistics for you. There is only a case
> like yours in the world, we have spent 20 million dollars to detect
> your illness, but know we now that our 99.99 % exact test only give
> you an small chance to have this illness, thats all.
>
> Well doctor, thanks for that good information.
>
> No so much, this costs 2000 dollars, there is a lot of investigation
> costs to achieve this conclusion and cure.
>
> By, i fax you a check.
>
> Later i found an old doctor called ya-hoo.
>
> Hello Helen, why are you in this colour?
>
> I don't know, but i remember my grandmother has the same illness and
> it disappeared when she took some fresh vegetables.
>
> That's wonderful, i think that the solution for your problem. Good-by
> Helen.
>
> Question: (too lazy to ask one)
>
> Answer: No one would make a test without prior knowledge, so Helen
> probability of having the illness is not one in 5000 millions, but
> perhaps one in ten or so:
>
> Is this an small error?
>
>  I hope Lisp have a better future.

I don't understand your joke or I didn't find it very funny. But thank
you for the link it's been very informative.
I especially liked the Sagan quote "Extraordinary claims require
extraordinary evidence."

Slobodan Blazeski
From: ·············@yahoo.es
On 28 jun, 12:59, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jun 26, 10:51 pm, ·············@yahoo.es wrote:
>

> >  http://norvig.com/experiment-design.html
>
> > I beg you excuses for my poor English.
>
> > I just read the future of Lisp and  this is a small yoke I found in
> > reddit  about  http://norvig.com/experiment-design.html
>
> > Hello doctor Norvig, i have a strange decease:
>
> > My face is now yellow, my body is blue, my feet are black.
>
> > Oh well, i have wonderful statistics for you. There is only a case
> > like yours in the world, we have spent 20 million dollars to detect
> > your illness, but know we now that our 99.99 % exact test only give
> > you an small chance to have this illness, thats all.
>
> > Well doctor, thanks for that good information.
>
> > No so much, this costs 2000 dollars, there is a lot of investigation
> > costs to achieve this conclusion and cure.
>
> > By, i fax you a check.
>
> > Later i found an old doctor called ya-hoo.
>
> > Hello Helen, why are you in this colour?
>
> > I don't know, but i remember my grandmother has the same illness and
> > it disappeared when she took some fresh vegetables.
>
> > That's wonderful, i think that the solution for your problem. Good-by
> > Helen.
>
> > Question: (too lazy to ask one)
>
> > Answer: No one would make a test without prior knowledge, so Helen
> > probability of having the illness is not one in 5000 millions, but
> > perhaps one in ten or so:
>
> > Is this an small error?
>
> >  I hope Lisp have a better future.
>
> I don't understand your joke or I didn't find it very funny. But thank
> you for the link it's been very informative.
> I especially liked the Sagan quote "Extraordinary claims require
> extraordinary evidence."
>
> Slobodan Blazeski

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary quality of
thinking to conceive a new idea but not the kind of
statistic thinking involve in the above link.

 Cite:
 Einstein to Von Neumann:  I don't need a
supercomputer, i only need to think (or something like this).

 Galileo: mental experiment suffice don't need to
 do the practical experiment.

 Going back to lisp:

  What is lisp for me?  lisp is based on list,
a list  is an easy to encode thinking, that is

      (boss = key idea = car).

 so  a list is == (keyidea  details...)

 this way you can construct power programs.

 Now we need a new lisp idea:  Given two different
persons with different viewpoint we need a way to
communite between their ideas:

  list1  --> reflects A ideas
  list2 ---> reflects B ideas

  how to communicate this two viewpoints?

   Example:

 A car = money
 B car = art

  communication: I would like you to invest your money into my art.
From: Dmitry V. Gorbatovsky
 ·············@yahoo.es wrote:

>  ...Cite:
>  Einstein to Von Neumann:  I don't need a
> supercomputer, i only need to think (or something like this)...

Mao Zedong to 'Caterpillar inc.' salesman :
"I don't need your machines , while I have my people
and their shovels."

:)
DG
From: ·············@yahoo.es
On 28 jun, 20:02, "Dmitry V. Gorbatovsky" <·········@midasitech.com>
wrote:
>  ·············@yahoo.es wrote:
> >  ...Cite:
> >  Einstein to Von Neumann:  I don't need a
> > supercomputer, i only need to think (or something like this)...
>
> Mao Zedong to 'Caterpillar inc.' salesman :
> "I don't need your machines , while I have my people
> and their shovels."
>
> :)
> DG

 Well, the analogy is not so cute.

  Supercomputers can not simulate Einstein brain, nor can create a new
theory (today technology).

  Caterpillar inc. can make a big hole quickier and easier than a lot
of people.

To summarize: We are not only muscles (today).
From: Tamas Papp
·············@yahoo.es writes:

> On 28 jun, 20:02, "Dmitry V. Gorbatovsky" <·········@midasitech.com>
> wrote:
>>  ·············@yahoo.es wrote:
>> >  ...Cite:
>> >  Einstein to Von Neumann:  I don't need a
>> > supercomputer, i only need to think (or something like this)...
>>
>> Mao Zedong to 'Caterpillar inc.' salesman :
>> "I don't need your machines , while I have my people
>> and their shovels."
>>
>> :)
>> DG
>

>  Well, the analogy is not so cute.
>
>   Supercomputers can not simulate Einstein brain, nor can create a new
> theory (today technology).
>
>   Caterpillar inc. can make a big hole quickier and easier than a lot
> of people.
>
> To summarize: We are not only muscles (today).

Sorry, but how exactly is this thread relevant to Lisp users?

Tamas
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Jun 26, 10:51 pm, ·············@yahoo.es wrote:
>  http://norvig.com/experiment-design.html
>
> I beg you excuses for my poor English.
>
> I just read the future of Lisp and  this is a small yoke I found in
> reddit  about  http://norvig.com/experiment-design.html
>
> Hello doctor Norvig, i have a strange decease:
>
> My face is now yellow, my body is blue, my feet are black.
>
> Oh well, i have wonderful statistics for you. There is only a case
> like yours in the world, we have spent 20 million dollars to detect
> your illness, but know we now that our 99.99 % exact test only give
> you an small chance to have this illness, thats all.
>
> Well doctor, thanks for that good information.
>
> No so much, this costs 2000 dollars, there is a lot of investigation
> costs to achieve this conclusion and cure.
>
> By, i fax you a check.
>
> Later i found an old doctor called ya-hoo.
>
> Hello Helen, why are you in this colour?
>
> I don't know, but i remember my grandmother has the same illness and
> it disappeared when she took some fresh vegetables.
>
> That's wonderful, i think that the solution for your problem. Good-by
> Helen.
>
> Question: (too lazy to ask one)
>
> Answer: No one would make a test without prior knowledge, so Helen
> probability of having the illness is not one in 5000 millions, but
> perhaps one in ten or so:
>
> Is this an small error?
>
>  I hope Lisp have a better future.

I signed you off because of your poor English, but remembered that I'm
not a native speaker either and I rarely use spell-checker and people
are still reading my posts. So I resoning  your yoke => joke like
this:
domain knowledge is important but so are the statistical and data
mining techniques when you're facing ahuge datasets. One story about
needed domain knowledge comes from Richard Gabriel excellent book
Patterns of sotfware higly entertaining http://www.dreamsongs.com/Files/PatternsOfSoftware.pdf
:

Excerpt:

For example, the first company I looked at had developed a simple
ethernet local area network (LAN) for fast food joints. Each cash
register would be a node on the network, which would download its
transactions to a backroom computer every few minutes, thereby making
it less likely for one of the poorly paid 180 / INTO THE GROUND
hamburger salespeople to rip off the franchise. In fact, the design of
the register itself made it almost impossible to steal from-the
keyboard was bulletproof!
This sounded good to me, but I was concerned that their very slow
communications software and hardware coupled by the slow backroom
computer would bog down during peak periods like lunchtime in large
food emporia. I dutifully and diligently visited potential customers
(franchise managers) and asked about peak traffic and did calculations
based on the technical specs of the proposed products. I also quizzed
the hackers about what happened when there were too many collisions on
the ethernet and consulted my networking friends at Stanford. I
reported all this on a conference call. Sid and Vic listened carefully
and asked probing questions. Then Victoria said, "Well, this is all
very interesting, but it is clear these people have no business
sense." This didn't seem clear to me because the business plan was
thorough, they had researched their market and interviewed many
potential customers. She continued, "Everyone knows that the way kids
working in hamburger joints make money-given they're paid the same or
less than waiters but without tips-is by stealing from the cash
register, and management
plans for the amount, which they expect to be around $20 per day per
employee."
Gleep, no, Victoria, not everyone knows that. How foolish these people
were to
design a theftproof cash register and to log transactions almost as
soon as they
were made. No venture capital for these na�ve souls.