From: gavino
Subject: learning common lisp
I am currently reading a gnetle introduction to symbolic computation
by Touretsky.

Is this the best way to learn common lisp?

I know about sicp but that is scheme.

I know about practical common lisp but the guy uses FRanz lisp stuff
all over the place and I want to stick with free software.

I tried previously with ansi common by graham but got frustrated since
I am not already a programmer.

Is the gentle intro the best way to go?

Also can lisp handle all of the stuff perl etc. does as far as the web
goes?  Paul Graham seemed quite happy with it.....but I would liek to
know where he learned common lisp, and from what sources....

From: Pillsy
Subject: Re: learning common lisp
On Jun 25, 8:34 pm, gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am currently reading a gnetle introduction to symbolic computation
> by Touretsky.

> Is this the best way to learn common lisp?

If you aren't already comfortable programming, Touretzky's book is the
way to go. Afterwards, you should go on to _Practical Common Lisp_...

> I know about practical common lisp but the guy uses FRanz lisp stuff
> all over the place and I want to stick with free software.

...which only uses free software. Later chapters use "Portable
AllegroServe", which is a CL webserver based on one written by Franz,
but released under a free license.

Cheers,
Pillsy
From: Thomas F. Burdick
On Jun 26, 2:34 am, gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> the guy uses FRanz lisp stuff
> all over the place and I want to stick with free software.

Fortunately for you, Franz Lisp is free.  You can get ports to SunOS
3/4 and NetBSD 0.9 here: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/others/franzlsp/0.html
From: Stefan Scholl
gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently reading a gnetle introduction to symbolic computation
> by Touretsky.
>
> Is this the best way to learn common lisp?

Why the change of mind? I thought Common Lisp sucks?
From: Robert Uhl
gavino <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> I am currently reading a gnetle introduction to symbolic computation
> by Touretsky.
>
> Is this the best way to learn common lisp?

I'd go for PCL (below), but that book is good too.

> I know about practical common lisp but the guy uses FRanz lisp stuff
> all over the place and I want to stick with free software.

Nah, he only really does it towards the end, when doing his Web stuff.
And there's a port of AllegroServe called Portable AllegroServe, so
theoretically you could use all of his examples anyway.

But the really good, really important bits of PCL are all in the
general, standard Common Lisp pieces.

> Also can lisp handle all of the stuff perl etc. does as far as the web
> goes?

Can?  Sure.  Can do it in as straightforward a manner as one would like?
That depends on what one is doing.  CL-PPCRE is a really nice portable
perl-compatible regexp library--it's actually faster than perl!
Hunchentoot is a good basic web framework, more advanced than any CGI
stuff you've played with before.

Try travelling from state to state in America without a driver's license
and proof of insurance, to be yielded up to the first uniformed
road-thug who demands it.                       --L. Neil Smith
From: Pascal Bourguignon
gavino <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> I am currently reading a gnetle introduction to symbolic computation
> by Touretsky.
>
> Is this the best way to learn common lisp?

Yes.  Be sure to study it well, you'll profit a lot from it.

> I know about sicp but that is scheme.

You'll read it later.

> [...]
> Is the gentle intro the best way to go?

That's what I'd advise you to read, yes.

> Also can lisp handle all of the stuff perl etc. does as far as the web
> goes?  Paul Graham seemed quite happy with it.....but I would liek to
> know where he learned common lisp, and from what sources....

It would be better to ask this question later, when you know how to
program in Common Lisp.

In theory, both lisp and perl are "turing complete", so you can do
anything that is doable in both.

In practice, it'll probably be easier with lisp, but I'm a lisp
programmer...

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.
From: ········@gmail.com
On Jun 25, 8:34 pm, gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know about sicp but that is scheme.

SICP is worth reading just because it's one of the best programming
books ever written.

Interestingly enough, someone has just started blogging about SICP and
includes comparisons of Scheme and Common Lisp solutions to some of
the problems:

http://eli.thegreenplace.net/2007/06/26/sicp-section-121/

 -jimbo
From: Johann Franz
gavino wrote:
> I am currently reading a gnetle introduction to symbolic computation
> by Touretsky.
>
> Is this the best way to learn common lisp?

I haven't yet read Touretsky, but PCL is fine with e.g. SBCL, which is
also suggested at the beginning of the book, LispBox respectively, IIRC.

Else, I suggest have a look at:
http://jfranz.users.bsdprojects.net/clfaq.html#read