From: daBittweiler
Subject: McCLIM installation  woes
After hearing so much about CLIM and McCLIM.
I decide to give McCLIM a spin, but following the installation
instructions on Getting Started
with McCLIM.

Which doesn't work out, either the instructions where wrong on the
site or I missed something they may have left out.  I dunno, from what
I hear it works out pretty well under Linux with CMUCL 18e.

Hopefully some NetBSD or BSD lisp user can enlighten me to how they
got McCLIM to play nice with NetBSD.  I'm mainly interested in getting
McCLIM  to run with sbcl or cmucl under NetBSD.

I've tried this 3 times all ready today and for the past 5 weeks I
have been trying to figure this out.  Things usually bomb out when
trying to build the system.  Following the instructions at:

http://mcclim.cliki.net/GettingStarted

Has McCLIM not been tested or ported to work with BSD systems?

From: Richard M Kreuter
Subject: Re: McCLIM installation  woes
daBittweiler <············@gmail.com> writes:

> Hopefully some NetBSD or BSD lisp user can enlighten me to how they
> got McCLIM to play nice with NetBSD.  I'm mainly interested in getting
> McCLIM  to run with sbcl or cmucl under NetBSD.

Under SBCL, the following worked fine [1] for me:

* (asdf-install:install :mcclim)

[1] I don't have gpg installed on the host where I ran this, and so
skipped the gpg checks.

> Has McCLIM not been tested or ported to work with BSD systems?

I've built and used McCLIM on SBCL on NetBSD/x86 many times over the
last 4 years.  All the demos, the listener, debugger, and inspector
all work fine there modulo SBCL's lack of threads on that platform.

--
RmK
From: Troels Henriksen
daBittweiler <············@gmail.com> writes:

> Which doesn't work out, either the instructions where wrong on the
> site or I missed something they may have left out.  I dunno, from what
> I hear it works out pretty well under Linux with CMUCL 18e.

I think you must have read an old resource (sadly, these are very
common in the CLIM world). For a longish time, McCLIM did not work on
CMUCL due to a bug in CMUCL's implementation of forward-referenced
classes. This bug was fixed semi-recently in both SBCL and CMUCL, and
thus needs a fairly recent version to run. CMUCL 18e is almost
certainly too old.

> Hopefully some NetBSD or BSD lisp user can enlighten me to how they
> got McCLIM to play nice with NetBSD.  I'm mainly interested in getting
> McCLIM  to run with sbcl or cmucl under NetBSD.

I don't think McCLIM has any OS-specific-issues, so unless SBCL or
CMUCL are known to be quirky on NetBSD, you should not have
trouble. Most McCLIM hackers use SBCL, so that's what I'd recommend
you use as well. McCLIM should also be ASDF-Installable, so if
possible, I'd recommend you install it that way. Even if you want the
CVS version of McCLIM, you might still want to ASDF-Install it first
to get all the dependencies.

> I've tried this 3 times all ready today and for the past 5 weeks I
> have been trying to figure this out.  Things usually bomb out when
> trying to build the system.  Following the instructions at:

Any specific errors?

> Has McCLIM not been tested or ported to work with BSD systems?

I don't think I have ever heard a report of McCLIM running on a BSD,
but I see no reason why it should not work, as long as the underlying
Lisp implementation does.

--
\  Troels
/\ Henriksen
From: Andreas Davour
daBittweiler <············@gmail.com> writes:

> After hearing so much about CLIM and McCLIM.
> I decide to give McCLIM a spin, but following the installation
> instructions on Getting Started
> with McCLIM.
>
> Which doesn't work out, either the instructions where wrong on the
> site or I missed something they may have left out.  I dunno, from what
> I hear it works out pretty well under Linux with CMUCL 18e.

No luck at all with CMUCL is my experience.

> Hopefully some NetBSD or BSD lisp user can enlighten me to how they
> got McCLIM to play nice with NetBSD.  I'm mainly interested in getting
> McCLIM  to run with sbcl or cmucl under NetBSD.
>
> I've tried this 3 times all ready today and for the past 5 weeks I
> have been trying to figure this out.  Things usually bomb out when
> trying to build the system.  Following the instructions at:
>
> http://mcclim.cliki.net/GettingStarted
>
> Has McCLIM not been tested or ported to work with BSD systems?

Using FreeBSD and SBCL I have had no problems.

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?