From: ·············@yahoo.es
Subject: Is there anything like applets in Lisp?
    I know there is a symbolic  math program called maxima that is
lisp based,
there is a version with and IDE based on  wx system called wxmaxima.

  I would like to make some computations and show graphics  using
anything like applets,  that is using the mouse to modify plots,
generate new graphics for new values of parameters, and the like.

First question:

  Is there anything like java applets in Lisp to suit this purpose?

Second question:

 I know that Mathematica can use Java via JLINK  (it play the role of
a java interpreter), is there any Lisp that can use Java in this way?

 In our group they told me that there is bare arms Lisp, but it is not
very  mature as a CL-Lisp .

From: David Golden
Subject: Re: Is there anything like applets in Lisp?
 ·············@yahoo.es wrote:

>  In our group they told me that there is bare arms Lisp, but it is not
> very  mature as a CL-Lisp .

That's "armed bear" lisp.  It's an implementation of CL that targets the
JVM.  Just check it out (if you were googling "bare arms", I can see
how you might have had trouble finding it.), while it is "young", it
may be suitable for your purposes - or not. I have no idea if one can
successfully roll it plus your code or (outside chance) tree-shaken
compiled code from it into an applet, but it sounds like something that
should be quite possible in principle, ask the ABCL developer(s).

http://armedbear.org/abcl.html
From: David Golden
Second reply, dealing with wider issues...

·············@yahoo.es wrote:

>     I know there is a symbolic  math program called maxima that is
> lisp based,
> there is a version with and IDE based on  wx system called wxmaxima.
>
>   I would like to make some computations and show graphics  using
> anything like applets,  that is using the mouse to modify plots,
> generate new graphics for new values of parameters, and the like.
>
>  Is there anything like java applets in Lisp to suit this purpose?

Are you just looking for a lisp GUI library capable of that? Or for
maxima specifically? Not at all sure where "applets" really come into
that requirement taken on its own, of course a lisp native GUI could
do that, with some work.

An example of an existing standalone graphing system would be SciGraph,
an App now bundled with the McCLIM implementation of CLIM:
http://common-lisp.net/project/mcclim/
http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mcclim/Apps/Scigraph/?root=mcclim

>  I know that Mathematica can use Java via JLINK  (it play the role of
>  a java interpreter), is there any Lisp that can use Java in this way?

J/Link in Mathematica is really a different direction to ABCL - calling
out to a JVM from mathematica, not running mathematica in a JVM.

Check out http://www.cliki.net/Java , don't listen to me...

Vaguely similar java integration exists least one commercial lisp:
http://franz.com/support/documentation/6.1/doc/jlinker.htm
Also see FOIL:
http://foil.sourceforge.net/

In the mathematica case, one can embed running GUI java applets within
the mathematica GUI as if your mathematica sheet was a web page.  I
dunno if Allegro CLIM, say, has a "Java Applet" pane to make the
analogy very close, but in principle someone could probably implement
that.

This is also different from the mathematica "Live" feature that spits
out viewers for things, where the viewers are standalone java applets
suitable for embedding in a web page (or, presumably, a mathematica
sheet).  One could probably use Linj (or even ABCL discussed in other
post) to help implement a similar feature to that in lisp:
http://www.evaluator.pt/downloads/tutorial.html#sec3
From: David Golden
David Golden wrote:

> In the mathematica case, one can embed running GUI java applets within
> the mathematica GUI as if your mathematica sheet was a web page.

Er. I should really have verified this: Having now looked at the actual
documentation, I think they just run in their own popup windows a bit
like the sun standalone "appletviewer" - they are fully controllable
from code in the sheet though (that is to say, one can call methods
of the applet from mathematica code).

Still, I reckon such an embedded pane would be possible, at least
in X Window System implementations of CLIM and probably others.

From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello ··············@yahoo.es)
(you :wrote  :on '(Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:36:47 -0700))
(

 a>   Is there anything like java applets in Lisp to suit this purpose?

unfortunately i fail to see what the purpose is. plug something graphical
into maxima? of course it's possible, there are dozens of libraries for GUI.
for Lisp point of view, it's not a problem.

or you'd like to use existing APIs in wxmaxima to make something graphical?
well, we do not know here, better ask in wxmaxima mailing list..

in any case, i don't see how java and applets are connected. applets is a
way of plugging Java into browsers and other applications.
you don't need any complex API to plug Lisp GUI into a Lisp application, so
there is no needs in "applet" thing for Lisp.

 a>  I know that Mathematica can use Java via JLINK  (it play the role of
 a> a java interpreter), is there any Lisp that can use Java in this way?

so, you need to call Java libraries from Lisp? there are some projects on
this:

http://jfli.sourceforge.net/
http://foil.sourceforge.net/

i didn't evaluate them, so i can't say if they are good or not.

 a>  In our group they told me that there is bare arms Lisp, but it is not
 a> very  mature as a CL-Lisp .

David Golden have decoded that "bare arms" is "Armed Bear" :).
well, this implementation of Common Lisp is not as mature as other, but it
aims to be 100% compatible Common Lisp, and currently is mostly compatible,
so most applications should work well there.
it runs inside JVM, so it's able to use Java libraries etc.

)
"I am everything you want and I am everything you need")
From: Waldek Hebisch
·············@yahoo.es wrote:

>     I know there is a symbolic  math program called maxima that is
> lisp based,
> there is a version with and IDE based on  wx system called wxmaxima.
>
>   I would like to make some computations and show graphics  using
> anything like applets,  that is using the mouse to modify plots,
> generate new graphics for new values of parameters, and the like.
>
> First question:
>
>   Is there anything like java applets in Lisp to suit this purpose?

I am not sure what wxmaxima can do.  But I can tell you about another
system, namely Axiom.  Axiom can produce graphics which is shown
by a helper program.  You can manipulate graphics in programtic way
(say rotate the image), you can also use mouse to interace with
graphics.  You can make forms where you fill input parameters
and graphics is generated based on parameter values.

But there are some limitations: core interface is text only, graphic
windows do not send feedback to main program, form interface uses
separate windows.  Forms interface is a part of help browser (it is
used to have "live" examples).  So normally you have a text window for
math computations and a bunch of graphics and help browser windows.
Theoretically form interface can do anything:  main Axiom process
is Lisp based and form interface sends arbitrary S-expressions
which main process evaluates (and sends back results).  However,
the help browser (which shows the results) has limited formatting
capabilities, the most interesting one beeing ability to show
images.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
·······@math.uni.wroc.pl