From: Ken Tilton
Subject: [ghxdev] word net unleashed
Fun with a fully-parsed wordnet:

PQ(136): (color-p "chartreuse")
PQ(137): (color-p "charter")
NIL

Achieved by following only the hypernym chain from any given word to see
if it reaches "color".

Sadly does not seem to work with fragrances and probably most others. :(
But of course we always have the histogram of other values provided for
the same tag, probably a better guide in the end, esp. as volume increases.

ken

From: Vassil Nikolov
Subject: Re: [ghxdev] word net unleashed
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:20:05 -0400, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> said:

| Fun with a fully-parsed wordnet:
| PQ(136): (color-p "chartreuse")
| PQ(137): (color-p "charter")
| NIL

| Achieved by following only the hypernym chain from any given word to
| see if it reaches "color".

| Sadly does not seem to work with fragrances and probably most
| others.

  The dictionary meaning of "chartreuse" (as opposed to "Chartreuse")
  is a color (and not a fragrance), so shouldn't that be expected?

  (See e.g. http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chartreuse; the
  American Heritage Dictionary explicitly tags the entry with
  "Color".)

  ---Vassil.

--
The truly good code is the obviously correct code.
From: ········@gmail.com
Subject: Re: word net unleashed
On Jun 16, 1:20 pm, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
> Fun with a fully-parsed wordnet:
>
> PQ(136): (color-p "chartreuse")
> PQ(137): (color-p "charter")
> NIL
>
> Achieved by following only the hypernym chain from any given word to see
> if it reaches "color".
>
> Sadly does not seem to work with fragrances and probably most others. :(
> But of course we always have the histogram of other values provided for
> the same tag, probably a better guide in the end, esp. as volume increases.
>
> ken

Tease.

Do you have code to give us, or are you hogging this earth-shattering
functionality all for yourself?

 -jimbo
From: Kaz Kylheku
On Jun 16, 10:20 am, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
> Fun with a fully-parsed wordnet:
>
> PQ(136): (color-p "chartreuse")
> PQ(137): (color-p "charter")
> NIL
>
> Achieved by following only the hypernym chain from any given word to see
> if it reaches "color".
>
> Sadly does not seem to work with fragrances and probably most others.

Gee, that stinks! :)