From: Adrian DOZSA
Subject: curiosity
   Doing some experiments, i found a strange thing in the history of
the SBCL development. I was looking at the statistics of the commits
and developers. Take a look at the next picture:
http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sbclownershipmapsa6.png .
Different colors mean different developers. Red is C.Rhodes and Cyan
is W.Newman. The X axis is time and the Y axis are files and each
circle is a commit by an author on a file at a moment of time; the
size of the circle is the size of the change. The numbers (from axis
and circles) are missing because this is a screenshot of an
interactive environment.
My question is: What happened in 14/07/2005? (in the 3rd quarter of
the image, there's a vertical line, meaning simultaneous commits).
Because as you can see there is a very big change, a lots of commits
by W.Newman and after that C.Rhodes appears less. I think that day was
"the longest day" for W.Newman if you consider the amplitude the
commit in that day.

Adrian Dozsa

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: curiosity
On Jun 15, 1:33 pm, Adrian DOZSA <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is: What happened in 14/07/2005? (in the 3rd quarter of
> the image, there's a vertical line, meaning simultaneous commits).
> Because as you can see there is a very big change, a lots of commits
> by W.Newman and after that C.Rhodes appears less. I think that day was
> "the longest day" for W.Newman if you consider the amplitude the
> commit in that day.

That was the day that in one horrible swoop, Bill Newman undid years
of Christophe's hard work.  He's been bitter and reclusive ever since.

Or maybe it was when he replaced all the tabs with whitespace.  Did it
ever occur to you to check the commits list?
From: Larry Clapp
I'll bite ...

On 2007-06-15, Thomas F. Burdick <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 15, 1:33 pm, Adrian DOZSA <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My question is: What happened in 14/07/2005? (in the 3rd quarter of
>> the image, there's a vertical line, meaning simultaneous commits).
>> Because as you can see there is a very big change, a lots of
>> commits by W.Newman and after that C.Rhodes appears less. I think
>> that day was "the longest day" for W.Newman if you consider the
>> amplitude the commit in that day.
>
> That was the day that in one horrible swoop, Bill Newman undid years
> of Christophe's hard work.  He's been bitter and reclusive ever
> since.

Bummer.  If you're serious, could you elaborate?  Sounds like one of
those stories the rest of us (or maybe just me) could learn from.

Or, given that presumably Christophe could have reverted Bill's
changes, well, why didn't he?

Or, again given that presumably Christophe could have reverted Bill's
changes, maybe I should just assume you're not serious and you're
talking about the tab-to-space conversion and leave it at that.  :)

But in that case, why did Christophe stop contributing?  (Note that
the only thing I know about SBCL development is what I see in this
image.  Maybe it's wrong.)

Inquiring, though perhaps somewhat lazy, minds ... are mildly curious.
:)

-- L
From: Ken Tilton
Larry Clapp wrote:
> I'll bite ...
>
> On 2007-06-15, Thomas F. Burdick <········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Jun 15, 1:33 pm, Adrian DOZSA <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>My question is: What happened in 14/07/2005? (in the 3rd quarter of
>>>the image, there's a vertical line, meaning simultaneous commits).
>>>Because as you can see there is a very big change, a lots of
>>>commits by W.Newman and after that C.Rhodes appears less. I think
>>>that day was "the longest day" for W.Newman if you consider the
>>>amplitude the commit in that day.
>>
>>That was the day that in one horrible swoop, Bill Newman undid years
>>of Christophe's hard work.  He's been bitter and reclusive ever
>>since.
>

> Bummer.  If you're serious, could you elaborate?

And if not, make up something really good, we have the launch conditions
for an Urban Lisp Legend.

kzo
From: Daniel Barlow
Ken Tilton wrote:
> Larry Clapp wrote:
>> On 2007-06-15, Thomas F. Burdick <········@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That was the day that in one horrible swoop, Bill Newman undid years
>>> of Christophe's hard work.  He's been bitter and reclusive ever
>>> since.
>>
>> Bummer.  If you're serious, could you elaborate?
>
> And if not, make up something really good, we have the launch conditions
> for an Urban Lisp Legend.

There's no real secret.  That was when he woke up and realised the harm
he was doing to the software industry.

-dan
From: Thomas F. Burdick
On Jun 15, 7:02 pm, Daniel Barlow <····@coruskate.net> wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
> > Larry Clapp wrote:
>
> >> Bummer.  If you're serious, could you elaborate?
>
> > And if not, make up something really good, we have the launch conditions
> > for an Urban Lisp Legend.
>
> There's no real secret.  That was when he woke up and realised the harm
> he was doing to the software industry.

I heard that he looked in the mirror, read his t-shirt, and realized
that if he kept going he'd save lisp and die.
From: Ken Tilton
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> On Jun 15, 7:02 pm, Daniel Barlow <····@coruskate.net> wrote:
>
>>Ken Tilton wrote:

>>>And if not, make up something really good, we have the launch conditions
>>>for an Urban Lisp Legend.
>>
>>There's no real secret.  That was when he woke up and realised the harm
>>he was doing to the software industry.
>

> I heard that he looked in the mirror, read his t-shirt, and realized
> that if he kept going he'd save lisp and die.

Was he not also haunted by that unspeakable childhood incident involving
Logo?
From: Daniel Barlow
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> Or maybe it was when he replaced all the tabs with whitespace.  Did it
> ever occur to you to check the commits list?

As a point of information, yes, we do know that tabs are whitespace
already.  He replaced them with *better* whitespace.

(And Jeff stills want to open-source Allegro?  We already have the best
whitespace in SBCL, what's the point?)

-dan