From: ···········@gmail.com
Subject: Weird behavior in Allegro CL Express
I've been working in Allegro CL 8.0 express and am noticing some weird
issue in the read command.

1. I type (read) in the debug window.
2. type (test
3. hit return
4. backspace to the previous line and complete the line with a )
making it (test)
5. hit return

at this point i can't seem to get it to do anything, seems like it's
stuck in the read statement permanently.

any ideas?

thanks

From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev
Subject: Re: Weird behavior in Allegro CL Express
I've just tried that, and if you type an additional ) and press RETURN
it would work.

Not sure why...

From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Dimiter \"malkia\" Stanev" <······@mac.com> writes:
> ···········@gmail.com wrote:
>> I've been working in Allegro CL 8.0 express and am noticing some weird
>> issue in the read command.
>> 1. I type (read) in the debug window.
>> 2. type (test
>> 3. hit return
>> 4. backspace to the previous line and complete the line with a )
>> making it (test)
>> 5. hit return
>> at this point i can't seem to get it to do anything, seems like it's
>> stuck in the read statement permanently.
>> any ideas?
>> thanks
>
> I've just tried that, and if you type an additional ) and press RETURN
> it would work.
>
> Not sure why...

First, you cannot backspace to the previous line on a tty.

So this is not a alisp question, it's a question of the program you
use to enter your data!

Since you don't tell what program you use, we can hardly help.

But obviously, what this program seems to do, is to send to alisp the
whole line on which the cursor is when you type RETURN.

For example, that's exactly how the shell program in emacs behaves:

CL-USER(1): (/ 0)
Error: Attempt to divide 1 by zero.
  [condition type: DIVISION-BY-ZERO]

Restart actions (select using :continue):
 0: Return to Top Level (an "abort" restart).
 1: Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.

[1] CL-USER(2): (read)
(test)                ; typed: (test RET C-p C-e ) RET
(test)                ; it then echoed this.
)                     ; and I finally typed: ) RET
(TEST (TEST))         ; to get this sexp read and returned.
[1] CL-USER(3): :res
CL-USER(4)

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.
From: David Lichteblau
On 2007-06-13, Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> wrote:
> First, you cannot backspace to the previous line on a tty.
>
> So this is not a alisp question, it's a question of the program you
> use to enter your data!

It could be a Windows question.  If you start alisp.exe or mlisp.exe on
Windows you get a primitive listener without the IDE.  Neither of those
use the DOS window.

And that listener is indeed remarkably useless and feels very broken.

The listener in the IDE (allegro.exe) is probably better, so as a
recommendation to the OP, either use the IDE or set up Emacs and Slime
instead.