From: ·············@gmail.com
Subject: GNU CLisp in Emacs
Hi everyone,

I've just started learning Lisp, and I'm having a lot of troubles
figuring out how to run GNU CLisp in Emacs just like I do with MIT
Scheme. Could anyone help me please.

Thanks.

From: Robert Uhl
Subject: Re: GNU CLisp in Emacs
·············@gmail.com writes:

> I've just started learning Lisp, and I'm having a lot of troubles
> figuring out how to run GNU CLisp in Emacs just like I do with MIT
> Scheme. Could anyone help me please.

Have you taken a look at SLIME?  It integrates nicely with CLISP; just
add these lines to your .emacs:

  (setq inferior-lisp-program "clisp")
  (require 'slime)
  (slime-setup)

The shortest possible instant of time, far shorter than the so-called
'Planck time,' is the interval between hitting a key and realizing that
one should NOT have hit that key.
From: ·············@gmail.com
On Jun 13, 10:30 am, Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> ·············@gmail.com writes:
>
> > I've just started learning Lisp, and I'm having a lot of troubles
> > figuring out how to run GNU CLisp in Emacs just like I do with MIT
> > Scheme. Could anyone help me please.
>
> Have you taken a look at SLIME?  It integrates nicely with CLISP; just
> add these lines to your .emacs:
>
>   (setq inferior-lisp-program "clisp")
>   (require 'slime)
>   (slime-setup)
>
> --
> Robert Uhl <http://public.xdi.org/=ruhl>
> The shortest possible instant of time, far shorter than the so-called
> 'Planck time,' is the interval between hitting a key and realizing that
> one should NOT have hit that key.

Hi Robert,

Thanks.

I've acquired both documents about Ilisp and slime, but not yet read
them. Is adding those lines above to my .emacs file all I need to do
(i.e do I need to download and install slime prior to that?)

Moreover, I'm using Debian 4.0. Does that simplify the install/
configuration process if I want to use ilisp or slime?

Thanks again.

Mark.
From: Tyler Smith
On 2007-06-13, ·············@gmail.com <·············@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Have you taken a look at SLIME?  It integrates nicely with CLISP; just
>> add these lines to your .emacs:
>>
>>   (setq inferior-lisp-program "clisp")
>>   (require 'slime)
>>   (slime-setup)
>>

> Moreover, I'm using Debian 4.0. Does that simplify the install/
> configuration process if I want to use ilisp or slime?

Running:

apt-get install slime

(or equivalent in synaptic/aptitude/whatever) is all you need for
Debain 4.0., plus the three lines above added to your .emacs. If you
don't want to use clisp just substitute the path to the lisp version
you do want and you're all set.

HTH,

Tyler
From: ·············@gmail.com
On Jun 13, 12:15 pm, Tyler Smith <···········@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> On 2007-06-13, ·············@gmail.com <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> Have you taken a look at SLIME?  It integrates nicely with CLISP; just
> >> add these lines to your .emacs:
>
> >>   (setq inferior-lisp-program "clisp")
> >>   (require 'slime)
> >>   (slime-setup)
>
> > Moreover, I'm using Debian 4.0. Does that simplify the install/
> > configuration process if I want to use ilisp or slime?
>
> Running:
>
> apt-get install slime
>
> (or equivalent in synaptic/aptitude/whatever) is all you need for
> Debain 4.0., plus the three lines above added to your .emacs. If you
> don't want to use clisp just substitute the path to the lisp version
> you do want and you're all set.
>
> HTH,
>
> Tyler

Thanks very much.

Mark.
From: msingh
"Have you taken a look at SLIME?  It integrates nicely with CLISP;"

Have you even tried using slime with clisp? There are a few bad bugs
with slime that make it a painful experience. IMHO. Though mostly it
is quite nice.
From: Robert Uhl
msingh <··········@gmail.com> writes:

> "Have you taken a look at SLIME?  It integrates nicely with CLISP;"
>
> Have you even tried using slime with clisp? There are a few bad bugs
> with slime that make it a painful experience. IMHO. Though mostly it
> is quite nice.

Are there bugs, or just different ways of operating (e.g. in the
debugger under SBCL 0 closes the debugger; under CLISP it quits
CLISP--but q does the right thing for both)?

Me, I use SBCL, but since this fellow seems to like CLISP I figured why
bother him about it?

I'll have to try and get an item written into the DR plan specifying a
run to Krispy Kreme for sysadmin fuel, since it'd no doubt be a long
night ahead.
From: msingh
On Jun 15, 10:24 pm, Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> msingh <··········@gmail.com> writes:
> > "Have you taken a look at SLIME?  It integrates nicely with CLISP;"
>
> > Have you even tried using slime with clisp? There are a few bad bugs
> > with slime that make it a painful experience. IMHO. Though mostly it
> > is quite nice.
>
> Are there bugs, or just different ways of operating (e.g. in the
> debugger under SBCL 0 closes the debugger; under CLISP it quits
> CLISP--but q does the right thing for both)?
>
> Me, I use SBCL, but since this fellow seems to like CLISP I figured why
> bother him about it?
>
> --
> Robert Uhl <http://public.xdi.org/=ruhl>
> I'll have to try and get an item written into the DR plan specifying a
> run to Krispy Kreme for sysadmin fuel, since it'd no doubt be a long
> night ahead.

There is a bug with slime using clisp where if you mess up a macro
call or definition, and compile the code, it will throw the lisp into
a nasty busy loop which chews through available memory rendering the
system quite unusable. I have reported it to a slime developer who
reproduced it and put it on a bug list. In the meantime i've switched
lisps to sbcl until the bug gets sorted out.
From: ·············@gmail.com
On Jun 16, 9:54 am, msingh <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 15, 10:24 pm, Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>

> > msingh <··········@gmail.com> writes:
> > > "Have you taken a look at SLIME?  It integrates nicely with CLISP;"
>
> > > Have you even tried using slime with clisp? There are a few bad bugs
> > > with slime that make it a painful experience. IMHO. Though mostly it
> > > is quite nice.
>
> > Are there bugs, or just different ways of operating (e.g. in the
> > debugger under SBCL 0 closes the debugger; under CLISP it quits
> > CLISP--but q does the right thing for both)?
>
> > Me, I use SBCL, but since this fellow seems to like CLISP I figured why
> > bother him about it?
>
> > --
> > Robert Uhl <http://public.xdi.org/=ruhl>
> > I'll have to try and get an item written into the DR plan specifying a
> > run to Krispy Kreme for sysadmin fuel, since it'd no doubt be a long
> > night ahead.
>
> There is a bug with slime using clisp where if you mess up a macro
> call or definition, and compile the code, it will throw the lisp into
> a nasty busy loop which chews through available memory rendering the
> system quite unusable. I have reported it to a slime developer who
> reproduced it and put it on a bug list. In the meantime i've switched
> lisps to sbcl until the bug gets sorted out.

I couldn't be more surprised, setting up the whole package slime, sbcl
and emacs was so easy.

Mark.
From: Robert Uhl
·············@gmail.com writes:

> I've acquired both documents about Ilisp and slime, but not yet read
> them. Is adding those lines above to my .emacs file all I need to do
> (i.e do I need to download and install slime prior to that?)

You need to have SLIME somehow--in my case, it's installed by using the
FedoraLisp respositories.  You could download it by hand, or perhaps
Debian offers a SLIME package.

Don't bother with ILISP these days.

> Moreover, I'm using Debian 4.0. Does that simplify the install/
> configuration process if I want to use ilisp or slime?

Honestly, I don't know.  I've heard rumours that Debian has a neat Lisp
system which can be configured to allow one to pretty easily swap out
Lisp implementations--dunno if they're true.

Offhand, I'd say you need to clean your guns in front of your CPU salesman.
                                 --Matthew Stitt, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
From: Andreas Davour
·············@gmail.com writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've just started learning Lisp, and I'm having a lot of troubles
> figuring out how to run GNU CLisp in Emacs just like I do with MIT
> Scheme. Could anyone help me please.

If you by "GNU CLisp" mean GCL I strongly suggest you switch to
CLISP/CMUCL/SBCL instead. The GNU project lisp is old and far from up to
date.

I also suggest using Slime.

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: ············@gmail.com
On Jun 14, 3:53 am, Andreas Davour <····@update.uu.se> wrote:
> ·············@gmail.com writes:
> > Hi everyone,
>
> > I've just started learning Lisp, and I'm having a lot of troubles
> > figuring out how to run GNU CLisp in Emacs just like I do with MIT
> > Scheme. Could anyone help me please.
>
> If you by "GNU CLisp" mean GCL I strongly suggest you switch to
> CLISP/CMUCL/SBCL instead. The GNU project lisp is old and far from up to
> date.
>
> I also suggest using Slime.
>
> /andreas
>
> --
> A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

I'm getting confused. Since my Debian OS has only ilisp I installed it
and I could run it nicely with Emacs. The clisp I'm using is clisp-hs.
Is is up-to-date as you were talking about?

Thanks.

Mark
From: Pascal Bourguignon
············@gmail.com writes:

> On Jun 14, 3:53 am, Andreas Davour <····@update.uu.se> wrote:
>> ·············@gmail.com writes:
>> > Hi everyone,
>>
>> > I've just started learning Lisp, and I'm having a lot of troubles
>> > figuring out how to run GNU CLisp in Emacs just like I do with MIT
>> > Scheme. Could anyone help me please.
>>
>> If you by "GNU CLisp" mean GCL I strongly suggest you switch to
>> CLISP/CMUCL/SBCL instead. The GNU project lisp is old and far from up to
>> date.
>>
>> I also suggest using Slime.
>>
>> /andreas
>
> I'm getting confused. Since my Debian OS has only ilisp I installed it
> and I could run it nicely with Emacs. The clisp I'm using is clisp-hs.
> Is is up-to-date as you were talking about?

There are two Common Lisp implementations included in the GNU project:

gcl    (GNU Common Lisp)
clisp  (lisp implemented in C -- clisp)

So if you say GNU CLisp, I would understand it as clisp, but the
probability of some ambiguity is higher, perhaps you mean GNU Common
Lisp and you're just too lazy to spell it out.

When writting GNU CLisp, you're just getting us confused.

The original authors of clisp are Bruno Haible and Michael Stoll.  The
authors of ilisp found that clisp was confusing enough they named the
configuration to launch it clisp-hs, from the initials of the authors'
names.  But it's just plain clisp.

The current version of clisp is 2.41.  I don't know if the debian
package you have has this version.  Check it: (LISP-IMPLEMENTATION-VERSION)

ilisp is old and AFAIK not maintained anymore.  Nowadays, the big
thing is slime.  If there's no debian package for slime, you can still
easily download and install it.

That said,  I don't even bother with slime, and use clisp in emacs
with inferior-lisp.  I just add a command bound to C-x C-e to send the
previous sexp to the inferior-lisp (like the emacs lisp command
eval-last-sexp).  When you work with non-compiled code, the clisp
debugger is powerful enough that you don't need slime (on the other
hand, I find the sbcl debugger lame enough that I understand that sbcl
users need slime to use it).

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:42:34 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> wrote:

> When writting GNU CLisp, you're just getting us confused.

The headline of the CLISP homepage at clisp.sf.net says:

  This is GNU CLISP - an ANSI Common Lisp Implementation

Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: gavino