From: ···············@hut.fi
Subject: How old is this stuff?
http://www.ddj.com/dept/cpp/199900573?cid=RSSfeed_DDJ_Cpp

Benchmarks using a 8 MHz 8086, MS-DOS, etc.

Gives Lisp good publicity. Nothing less than a conspiracy. About to
unsubscribe from ddj ... but curious knowing what else they will dig
up.

From: Vassil Nikolov
Subject: Re: How old is this stuff? [published in Dr. Dobb's Journal]
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 14:38:03 -0700, ···············@hut.fi said:

| http://www.ddj.com/dept/cpp/199900573?cid=RSSfeed_DDJ_Cpp
| Benchmarks using a 8 MHz 8086, MS-DOS, etc.

| Gives Lisp good publicity. Nothing less than a conspiracy. About to
| unsubscribe from ddj ... but curious knowing what else they will dig
| up.

  Before you unsubscribe, search this group for

    "Dr. Dobb's Journal" editor

  (e.g. using Google Groups) and read the recent thread on this
  matter.

  ---Vassil.

--
The truly good code is the obviously correct code.
From: fireblade
Subject: Re: How old is this stuff?
On Jun 6, 11:38 pm, ···············@hut.fi wrote:
> http://www.ddj.com/dept/cpp/199900573?cid=RSSfeed_DDJ_Cpp
>
> Benchmarks using a 8 MHz 8086, MS-DOS, etc.
>
> Gives Lisp good publicity. Nothing less than a conspiracy. About to
> unsubscribe from ddj ... but curious knowing what else they will dig
> up.

Jon Erickson, editor of Dr. Dobb's Journal already explained that
they're *reprinting* old but interesthing topics :
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_thread/thread/f716704c64dc7511/a76b9ba547ea2861?lnk=gst&q=dr+dobbs+journal&rnum=1#a76b9ba547ea2861
and if you have something new but interesthing you're encouraged to
contact him, so don't  look for lisp enemies where there are none.

kindly yours
slobodan blazeski
From: ···············@hut.fi
OK, thanks for the clarification.

I agree with Pascal: DDJ should wrap the article with a header:
"Reprint of a Classic Article from 198x". This would reduce confusion
and make it a win-win situation for all.
From: fireblade
On Jun 7, 1:43 pm, ···············@hut.fi wrote:
> OK, thanks for the clarification.
>
> I agree with Pascal: DDJ should wrap the article with a header:
> "Reprint of a Classic Article from 198x". This would reduce confusion
> and make it a win-win situation for all.

It would be even better if someone writes some interesthing article
about current lisp development. Well that would be  a real win-win
situation for  me.
From: Larry Clapp
On 2007-06-07, fireblade <·················@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 1:43 pm, ···············@hut.fi wrote:
>> OK, thanks for the clarification.
>>
>> I agree with Pascal: DDJ should wrap the article with a header:
>> "Reprint of a Classic Article from 198x". This would reduce
>> confusion and make it a win-win situation for all.

I agree.

> It would be even better if someone writes some interesthing article
> about current lisp development.  Well that would be a real win-win
> situation for me.

I've submitted an article proposal to them for their debugging &
testing issue (February '08), discussing the Lisp condition system.
(They haven't replied yet, but then their author guidelines page says
they often don't for a month.)  I think Peter[1] and Kent[2] (and
others, of course) have described the system itself in excellent
detail (and I'll almost certainly cite them as places to go for
further information); I'd like to give some more examples of its use,
with an eye towards a) showing off Lisp to non-Lispers, and b) giving
Lisp beginners some practical recipes for error handling and, more
generally, communicating with lower parts of the call tree.

If they don't accept and I write the article anyway, I'll post it
somewhere on my blog[3].

I would encourage you to find some corner of CL that you find
interesting but don't know a bunch about, think about what you might
like to read, and write an article yourself.

Examples of what I'd like to read more about are:

  o Format recipes
  o The Lisp Reader
  o The Lisp Printer.  See for example the article[4] on using the
    Lisp pretty printer to print Lisp as compilable Pascal.
  o Using Lispworks as a substitute for a Lisp Machine (i.e. using the
    Lispworks IDE as a replacement for most terminal, shell, and
    editor interaction).
  o Using Lisp(works) as a replacement for the shell (e.g. a library
    wrapping or replacing common Unix shell commands that makes it as
    easy, if not easy*er*, to use Lisp to process files as zsh).  This
    is a subset of the previous one.

Just some random thoughts.

-- Larry

[1] http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/beyond-exception-handling-conditions-and-restarts.html
[2] http://www.nhplace.com/kent/Papers/Exceptional-Situations-1990.html
[3] http://theclapp.blog-city.com
[4] http://www.merl.com/publications/TR1993-017/
From: fireblade
On Jun 7, 3:10 pm, Larry Clapp <····@theclapp.org> wrote:
> On 2007-06-07, fireblade <·················@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 7, 1:43 pm, ···············@hut.fi wrote:
> >> OK, thanks for the clarification.
>
> >> I agree with Pascal: DDJ should wrap the article with a header:
> >> "Reprint of a Classic Article from 198x". This would reduce
> >> confusion and make it a win-win situation for all.
>
> I agree.
>
> > It would be even better if someone writes some interesthing article
> > about current lisp development.  Well that would be a real win-win
> > situation for me.
>
> I've submitted an article proposal to them for their debugging &
> testing issue (February '08), discussing the Lisp condition system.
> (They haven't replied yet, but then their author guidelines page says
> they often don't for a month.)  I think Peter[1] and Kent[2] (and
> others, of course) have described the system itself in excellent
> detail (and I'll almost certainly cite them as places to go for
> further information); I'd like to give some more examples of its use,
> with an eye towards a) showing off Lisp to non-Lispers, and b) giving
> Lisp beginners some practical recipes for error handling and, more
> generally, communicating with lower parts of the call tree.
>
> If they don't accept and I write the article anyway, I'll post it
> somewhere on my blog[3].

Good idea. I'm embarased to say that I don't know lisp condition
system, lisp is so fricking hard to crush that I get over with this.
If it was any other language you know what will happen. Please update
when you have news about your article.

Slobodan Blazeski
From: Mark Hoemmen
fireblade wrote:
> Good idea. I'm embarased to say that I don't know lisp condition
> system, lisp is so fricking hard to crush that I get over with this.
> If it was any other language you know what will happen. Please update
> when you have news about your article.

PARSE-NUMBER has a good example (non-restartable though) that I used as
a model for my sparse matrix file parser (which calls a hacked version
of PARSE-NUMBER rather than CL:READ-FROM-STRING, because I'd like to
ensure floating-point numbers get read in as doubles, without changing
the global value of the CL flag that would ensure this for
READ-FROM-STRING).

mfh
From: ···············@hut.fi
Just make sure that you inist that Dr Dobb's lets you look at the
version to be published.

A cursory look at: http://www.ddj.com/dept/architect/200000266?pgno=1

shows that the article abounds with typographical errors, things that
make one wonder if they might even be intentional, e.g.,

slot-value ==> slow-value as a section title!
From: Pascal Costanza
···············@hut.fi wrote:
> Just make sure that you inist that Dr Dobb's lets you look at the
> version to be published.
>
> A cursory look at: http://www.ddj.com/dept/architect/200000266?pgno=1
>
> shows that the article abounds with typographical errors, things that
> make one wonder if they might even be intentional, e.g.,
>
> slot-value ==> slow-value as a section title!

That's because they are OCRing printed versions of these articles.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Proof-reading for Dr.Dobbs's Portal
In article <························@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
 ···············@hut.fi wrote:

> Just make sure that you inist that Dr Dobb's lets you look at the
> version to be published.
>
> A cursory look at: http://www.ddj.com/dept/architect/200000266?pgno=1
>
> shows that the article abounds with typographical errors, things that
> make one wonder if they might even be intentional, e.g.,
>
> slot-value ==> slow-value as a section title!

Bitter.

Since they seem to be interested in new Lisp related articles,
they might also be interested in proof-reading old articles
that seem to distorted by some OCR software...

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: jurgen_defurne

http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/153