From: Mark Hoemmen
Subject: Good Lisp / Scheme for teaching shared-memory parallel?
Greetings!

I might be helping to teach a parallel programming course for advanced
undergraduates this coming fall semester.  We can assume that incoming
students have learned Scheme (they've gone through SICP) and probably
also Java.  They have seen a few ideas from shared-memory
multiprocessing in their operating systems course, but probably haven't
done any serious multiprocessing in their projects.

What I'd like to know is which CL or Scheme systems would be good for
teaching students how to work with threads and interthread
communication.  We really need true multiprocessing, not just
preemption.  I'd prefer an open-source (or at least "free like beer")
solution that runs on multiple OS's and architectures.

Many thanks in advance!
mfh